Kokos Goldfish Forum
shekhina

No idea what is wrong with my fish, please help

Well the gel food has set, so here's hoping she eats it!

fingers crossed :heart

She wont eat it. She ate some flakes earlier but she's just sitting on bottom again breathing fast. I don't know what else to do :(

lets get the tri-sulfa tomorrow and treat. it could make a difference to her.

We drove for hours today trying to get Tri-Sulfa... something that is usually everywhere was stocked nowhere! Eventually we found it and it's now in the tank. Do I keep replacing it daily with the water changes like I am the other medications? She's currently on metronidazole, prazi, salt and now tri-sulfa.

Phoebe ate some flakes again earlier today but other than that has been sitting in the corner on the bottom of the tank looking miserable. I'm hoping she'll eat some of the medicated food tonight.

sorry, hun. i didn't get notification of your post :blink:

yes, if you're on daily water changes, you will need to replace the tri-sulfa also. treat for 3 days (says my bottle which isn't blue planet) or unless yours says otherwise. and if she's showing improvements, we can treat for another 3 days..

i cannot remember, but i am pretty sure that you have Phoebe in QT. right? away from the guppies? so the guppies are keeping the main tank cycled?

there is a warning on my bottle advising that the Tri-Sulfa can kill the cycle. if she's in QT, no problems,, if she's not, then we may have cycle issues.

Phoebe is in a 20L QT tank, so the guppies are the only ones left in the main tank now. One of my guppies is unhappy also :( That tank and the third tank are both undergoing the Prazi treatment... they've just finished their second lot of 4 days of Prazi in.

how is Phoebe doing, hun?

She's the same :(

Sitting on the bottom, doesn't seem to have a lot of energy. What on earth has happened, she was doing so well??? :(

Is it safe to keep going with the metronidazole? It will have been over 2 weeks now.

Edited by shekhina

would you be ok with providing a video of her? how are the blood stains, still there or gone? does she have an appetite? does she respond to you when you are near?

she was doing very well, hun, i am not sure why she's relapsed under treatments. hang in there. :hug

Yes I can get a video of her. She puts her fin up when I am near her and sometimes does a little wiggle. She did eat a little yesterday in the bucket while we changed her water... but quickly sank to the bottom like it tired her out. The blood stains in her tail are gone, there's just her orange colour in there. The blood spot on the side is still there.

have you added the Tri-Sulfa? and you're doing 100% daily water changes? if so, does she behave any differently after a big water change? ie, does she seem more excited?

i look forward to the vid.

also, has the blood spot on her side become any better or worse? does it appear darker in colour or still fresh blood raw looking?

She doesn't act any differently after the water changes and yes they've all been 100%. Tonight will be the third time with Tri-Sulfa added to the metronidazole and salt. Today is a no Prazi day. I think the blood spot looks pretty much the same.

ok, i will be waiting for the video. thanks for replying to my questions.

No worries, it's uploading now :)

in my honest opinion? that blood patch on her belly side is getting a lot smaller. and her tail appears to have good regrowth. aesthetically she looks great, well, as good as she can, given the circumstances.. she still does not look like she wants to give up, which is excellent.

i would like you to remove the salt, if you have not already done so.

I'm glad to hear that you think she looks better, I guess it's hard for me to see it given I check her soooo many times each day.

She allowed me to syringe feed her tonight. I mushed up the medicated food I made the other night and mixed it with water and fed that to her. She spat a lot of it out, but I'm hoping some of it made it's way to her tummy. She tried to eat flakes tonight in the bucket as she usually does but she just couldn't get to the top and stay there to be able to eat them... it was like she just didn't have the strength. She didn't fight me when I tried to syringe feed her.

We have completed the water change for tonight so the salt is already in there... we can leave it out when we change her water tomorrow night though. Do we just leave it out completely, or do we need to make the change slowly?

re, the salt, remove it completely with the next water change. and re the food, it's best when a fish is being medicated orally, that other foods are not fed. i understand that flakes are easy however they are usually not the best source of food to be feeding goldfish. flake foods usually lack a lot of nutrition. i want to send you some different food to try for Phoebe. would you mind sharing with me your postal address?

Yep, I can understand that. Unfortunately she has refused to eat anything but the flakes so far, but tonight was too weak to eat them so decided to at least try to get something in to her.

I'll send you my address, thank you :)

have you been adding a little bit of garlic to the syringe food? i find they like to consume more of the food with the smell/taste of garlic.

i have received your email, and responded :) thank you :)

Yep, the medicated food I made had some garlic in it. She was definitely more keen with garlic added back when she was stronger... but now she just wants flakes but doesn't have the strength to feed herself.

OK, so the water change for tonight is done, no salt added... just the Prime. I've held off on adding the medication until I get the OK to go ahead with another 3 days of Tri-Sulfa? I'm currently uploading a video, but Phoebe has improved since yesterday. She's still quite weak, but was swimming around a bit in the bucket during the water change and kept swimming after being put back in the clean tank. I syringe fed her again tonight (the gel food turned into an almost liquid)... and my husband said there was poo in the tank when he emptied it... so something has gone in at least!

Will link the video once it's done :)

that sounds better, eh? :bighug. the only medicine i would like you to continue adding is the Metronidazole. i would like to give the Tri-Sulfa a 48 hour break, if you can :) i look forward to seeing the video :)