shekhina

No idea what is wrong with my fish, please help

190 posts in this topic

she's looking great :)

now, my only concern is that her bloody tail is persisting.. are we still on the Metronidazole?

i expected that some of her tail would fall off, even when seeing the first pics you posted. but what are your thoughts on it? i feel it's not got much better. the photo is a little too grainy for me to tell, there where it's broken off, does it look clean? or is it appearing like white fuzzy tips?

re the poop, i am not terribly concerned with what i see. the white empty housing could be either, her digestive system staring over or that it was once full and the poop has come out of it whilst she swims around. for now, what's closest to her vent looks quite good.

The colour you see on her tail now is just her orange colour, the bloodied bits have all fallen off. The edges look clear, not fuzzy or more white than her usual tail colouring. Hopefully it will begin to grow back soon :)

Yep, Phoebe is still on the metronidazole. Finished the 4th day of Prazi today so there's only metro, salt and prime in her tank tonight after the water change. Have also done the other two tanks and they're now on the three day break also. I've marked what medications all the tanks need on my calendar so that I don't get lost with it all.

I was thinking that once Phoebe is done with the 14 day course of metronidazole that I could move her back in to the main tank to finish off the 6 weeks of Prazi with the guppies... will that be OK do you think? I assume she will be much stronger come the 14 days.

I've found the food you mentioned online... the pellet one. I'm going to order it next week and get them started on that instead of the flakes. Because she is in the tank with guppies I think I will need to order the very small sized one... I think it's 1mm, will this be OK for Phoebe?

Edited by shekhina

your description of her tail sounds perfect :) thank goodness it's colour and not more blood! and the fact that the ends are clear gives good indication that soon, there will be regrowth, do not increase the salt more than 0.1%, i don't feel it's needed anymore, but we can keep it at 0.1% for now.

lets see her condition closer towards the 14 days of Metronidazole and we will reassess then if she can be moved, ok? she's been through quite an ordeal and may need some more time solo.

re that size food, she will just gobble more so be careful to not overfeed :) once it sinks to the bottom, it begins to expand to almost double the size when dry (that usually happens quite fast) she will just hoover it up like a champ :)

hun, could you get a top view photo for me?

That's good news about the food, thanks :)

I'm happy to continue with the QT tank as long as she needs, so that's no problems. I'll go try and get a top view photo of her now.

she's looking great :D thank you for providing the photo :)

So Phoebe is looking unwell again :(

She's back to sitting on the bottom a lot and breathing quickly... and it's almost like her bottom jaw is being sucked in rather than the usual mouth movement when breathing. I am about to take a short video to upload so that you can see her.

When I changed her water earlier today she seemed to have less energy than she has had during the last week of getting better. I'm not sure what could be going on as we have been doing the daily water changes and she has had metronidazole every day. She's had the three day break of Prazi and I have started her second week of it today.

I hope she's going to get better and stay better but I don't know why she's looking unwell again when she is being treated :(

Edited by shekhina

I also have this photo of poo which is white and stringy looking... this was last night. Also that mark on her side... I cannot be sure whether it is her orange colouring or if it is blood underneath the skin. At first I thought it was blood, but looking closer when I can hold her I think it looks more like colouring... but again, I cannot be sure and I am concerned of course.

IMG_4254_zpsa02dd081.jpg

the mark on her side is definitely a blood spot, it's too red to be her natural orange colouring. the kind of poop you're seeing could be due to the meds. are you still syringe feeding her? with the mouth, since we are treating with prazi, there isn't much more we can do but hope that it's going to fix with treatments that she's already on. have you checked to see if there is anything in her mouth? it looks almost like she's sucking on something? no? you can check that by raising her mouth slightly out of the surface of the water, that should be enough to have her open it for you to quickly look inside, be prepared with some good light so that you can see clearly.

the metronidazole that the vet has given, is that liquid or tablet?

The metronidazole the vet gave me is tablets. I stopped syringe feeding her as she was eating very well on her own a few times a day... however today she has eaten less than usual so perhaps I should start back on the syringe feeding tomorrow?

I will go and try to look inside her mouth now.

I can't see anything in there at all.

What is that blood spot on her side? Also she appears to be missing a few scales.

have a look at her from top view, are her scales beginning to stick out? ie, pineconing? or even hinting to sort of prickle?

Nope, she looks normal from the top.

what gram metronidazole are they? i have tablets 200mg of metronidazole each tablet. i am thinking that we should prepare a medicated gelfood. usually blood spots like that and especially around the belly are internal infections forming. which means it's better that we feed the medicine than add it to the water, that is, if the fish has an appetite.

i need to get to bed now, i will read your answer in the morning and work out what the next step will be.

Praziquantel takes a few rounds before you begin to see good results if flukes and tapeworms are the cause. Metronidazole will help fight certain primary and most secondary bacteria. we're on good meds here, we just need to change the structure a little, remain optimistic and hope for the best.

I have 400mg tablets and am breaking them in to halves... so she's getting 200mg in about a 20L tank.

If she wont eat enough of the food is it safe to continue dosing the water as well as trying to get her to eat the gel food?

you're crushing them fine, though, right? is the powder you are making, sinking to the bottom?, if it is, do you see her foraging through it? ie sucking it up? 200mg into 20 litres is correct on a dose that i would use when treating the water.

Yeah I'm crushing them up as fine as I can, then mixing it into a paste, then a bit more water, then adding it to the tank. A lot of it does settle at the bottom, but no I don't see her foraging through it at all.

i think it would be good if we had her eating it. there is no telling that once the metro hits the base of the tank, how much of it she is eating. so,, the safest bet is to mix it into some food and feed it to her.

can you weigh her please? there is a link in my sig on how to :)

I will need to get some kitchen scales to do that as I don't have any here... but I've been meaning to buy some for ages so this is a very good reason to get out and do it! I will report back with her weight once I have scales :)

I'm about to head out to get the kitchen scales... should have thought to ask what I'd need for your gel food recipe? If I get gelatin is that OK?

gelatin is ok, hun :)

i just use veggies and a block of frozen blood worms. the veggies are frozen peas (minimal salt, coles brand is the one i use), baby spinach, zucchini (seeds discarded) and sometimes i add carrot if i have it in the fridge. to that i add some crushed garlic, a dash of Prime and the meds :) i keep it as simple as possible :)