shekhina

No idea what is wrong with my fish, please help

190 posts in this topic

the epsom acts as a laxative. as do the peas, but both together is a stronger laxative. we won't be needing epsom since Phoebe is not eating.. we would like her to eat and keep her food.

syringe feeding is more stressful to you than the fish. i say this because we're always concerned that we're stressing them out, in fear of harming them etc. but it's actually quite simple. is Phoebe comfortable with you? ie, is she used to you handling her?

if not. i suggest the following.

put your hand in the tank near her and just leave it there for a few minutes, gently waving your fingers around where she can see your movement. then remove your hand. do this 3 or 4 times, each time getting nearer to her.

once you have gained her trust, try to touch her gently. if she lets you, pick her up from the bottom and allow her to sit in your cupped hand. slowly raise her to the surface. then bring her down to the bottom again and remove your hand. do this a few times.

when you're ready to syringe feed her, make the same motions.. once you have her to the surface, you will need to try and open her mouth :) this is where it gets a little tricky, but it's worth a try, right?

10524620_10152257320250662_1602243413_o.

(apologies for the stupid picture, i need to re-do the vid but i don't have an unwell fish that i need to be syringe feeding)

when you run the syringe as shown above (with food in it, ready for feeding), the moment you get to the top lip, the fish should open it's mouth. if not, do it again and repeat until the mouth opens. the mouth is like a trap door, so the syringe will stop at the top lip, hold it there a few seconds and she should open her mouth.

during the time that you are handling her, be sure to not be holding closed the gill plates or holding her too tightly. this will cause her discomfort and want to wriggle out of your hand. pop a few squirts of food in her mouth and before you let her go, make sure that she's already trying to eat.

don't be alarmed if a lot of food is spat back out either through the mouth itself or the gills. we are going to try and feed minimum 5ml of almost liquid food :)

Thank you so much for the diagram, that helps me a lot! I will give this a go in the morning when my husband is here for some moral support :blush:

So should I use peas or some of her regular food mushed up with tank water?

you're welcome :)

i would make a combination of peas, some crushed garlic and if you have some, frozen blood worms. all 3 a stinky fishie favourites :D but if you don't have the blood worms, just go the peas and garlic :) and yes, use the tank water since it's dechlorinated or you can use some fresh water and dechlorinate that too.

OK thank you, I will go buy some crushed garlic for her tomorrow morning :)

I have checked her just now and her eyes seem a bit sunken in towards the back and she seems a bit crooked, like she's curved, but still upright if that makes sense. I have read TB can sometimes look like this in fish... I really hope it's not that :(

any chance of a pic before i head to bed? it's nearing 3:30am..

ok, i will check back in the morning, if i have time. good luck at the Vet with getting some samples under a microscope.. fingers crossed they are able to help find what this could be.

g'night :hi

Sure I can get a photo, will post it up in a minute. I should head to bed too I suppose!

Thank you so much for your help, I hope Phoebe is going to make it :)

Sorry for the terrible quality, indoors at night isn't much good for my phone camera.

IMG_4211_zpsf78dd1a3.jpg

IMG_4216_zpsccb54605.jpg

I also have a short video which I am uploading at the moment

Does this look like TB to anyone?

Unfortunately I was unable to get Phoebe to the vet today to check the slime coat so I'm hoping to get her an appointment for Monday. There is a shop open today however that probably sells the medication for flukes etc. should I get some of that?

although there do appear a few symptom like things going on with your fish that you can relate them to TB, i personally do not think it is. TB symptoms are lesions which can look like ulcers on the body.. rapid weight loss, lethargy, fins clamped and weight loss.

flukes can cause the same symptoms above not including the ulcer like wounds.

flukes can affect the gills and mouth of a fish also, giving possibility that this is the case. there is really nothing you can treat with if it is TB and the only way you can determine if it is, is to euth the fish, perform a post mortem and then examine samples under a microscope to find the cells which indicate that TB is present.

since you have the one fish only, how about we go the path of Prazi and see if that helps?

OK that sounds like something to try. Will the medication be called Prazi at the shop, or is praziquantal just the ingredient I am looking for? I assume this is instead of trying to treat with the Kusuri again and that they work differently? She's only on day 2 of metronidazole today but so far no change. I did a 100% water change in the tank but she seemed stressed by the moving (before we put her back in the clean water) so I am leaving her to settle a little before trying to feed her. I also have some aquarium salt in the water.

i use Blue Planet Fluke and Tapeworm tablets as treatment :) i don't use Vodka to dissolve the prazi, we learned that Vodka can burn the gills, i am not sure at what concentration so i just avoid it just the same. i just use a mortar and pestle to crush the tablets fine, then i just add some warm tap water with a little bit of prime. crush it some more until it makes a paste, add more water until it's runny like milk and then add it.

OK I will see if I can find it at Petbarn tomorrow, thank you :)

I tried to feed Phoebe earlier on which was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. She was really calm and co-operative, although I'm not sure how much (if any) actually made it into her tummy. I fed her half the amount and I will let her rest and feed her again before bed.

that's so awesome! :bighug hopefully soon she will begin to gain some strength back. i am making a tutorial on how i prepare prazi. i will be done soon. i will post it here for you to see it :) it also shows the product i use.

Oh thank you so much, that is so kind of you to do! I certainly have a lot more confidence doing things after seeing them done so it helps me so very much :)

The guppies in the main tank appear agitated tonight, flicking themselves about or moping at the bottom... can I use the Prazi treatment for them as well? Poor fishies :(

i am not sure about guppies since i only keep goldfish with goldfish. i hope someone else is able to respond to that question.. alternatively, you may want to visit the tropical fish forum on kokos to see if there is any information there.

I will do that, thank you :)

I bought some garlic tonight for Phoebe to add in to her peas. I also found some bloodworms in the back of the freezer... I will need to double check their useby date though to make sure they're safe to give her. Hopefully she eats a bit.

how did you go with the another feed? did she respond to the second round?

here's my video by the way. it took a while to upload, then i needed to edit something silly i said ( :rofl ) and re-upload.. lol

She took the second feed as well, again I don't know how much is actually making it into her stomach if anything at all... but hopefully there will be poo by tomorrow... how odd, hoping for poo LOL

Thank you so very much for the video... I'm unable to watch it at the moment but will be sure to watch before I go to bed tonight. I'll go buy the medication tomorrow and see how we go, fingers crossed :)

as long as something is going down, even if not much at all.. but as long as she has the will to eat and something hits that digestive system, there is hope. when i am wanting to microscope their poop, i find that they can't poop fast enough! :blink: it's amazing how quickly you run out of samples when you really need them! :tomuch:

on a side note, if she does poop, please take a photo of it. i would like to see what it looks like :)

i'm heading off to bed, i will check for an update in the morning. g'night from me :hi

I ended up getting a quiet 10 minutes to watch it, thanks very much! What beautiful fish and I love how they think it's food :D

I will do, thank you.

My particularly unwell guppy has quite the weird poo... how Phoebe's was before she became really unwell :( I have a photo of that, too.

good morning, how is Phoebe?

Good morning :)

She's much the same as yesterday... I would have hoped we'd see some improvement by now :(

Will be getting the Prazi stuff soon (hopefully they have it!) so will do her water change and feed and put that in once it's here.