Sign in to follow this  
Kulukan

Lionchu mutt babies! (help!)

13 posts in this topic

So for some reason this morning while frying bacon I thought "you should go check for eggs." I never think this, I never look for eggs. So I leave my bacon on low and bumble over to the tank and oh! Look! Icky white eggs. Well that sucks. But I keep looking. For some unknown reason a few days ago I decided to put some of my hornwort in a breeder so that it would float closer to the light. I found 3 eggs and a hatched fry! I carefully captured the fry and moved the eggs to a partially filled 10 gallon tank. I went back and found 3 more viable eggs on other plants. So now I have 6 eggs with eyes and spines and one baby attached to my glass wall.

I raised fry a while ago but found the eggs much earlier. Is it too late methyine blue for fungus? Should I prazi them? Is there an easier way to feed than hatching brine shrimp? Can I even buy brine shrimp eggs at Petco or Petsmart? Do they even have time to hatch before the guy on the wall needs to eat?

I am fairly sure that Wiggles is the mother. Snipes has been relentelssy chasing her for a while. I hope I get tele-lionchu mutt babies!!

I used frozen baby brine shrimp for mine and hikari first bites. My babies are the same mix http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/117381-omg-babies/

Good luck with them. I'm not sure what to do with the methylene blue, but I used prazi at 2 weeks. Oh, and I also added some plants from my main tank for them to eat the algae off of.

Edited by HomerJay

How exciting! We need to see pics! :D

I am using Repashy Spawn and Grow. I feed it as a powder until they are old enough to take gel, and then mix it with Super Green gel.

Personally, I haven't Prazi'd the fry yet and they are somewhere between 3 weeks and a month old, since I have two agegroups in the same container.

Woohoooo! Congrats! :nana Fingers crossed for some beautiful telechu babies! :D

I have a telescope ranchu that I bought from DO a few months ago. One week after she went into the tank, she spawned with my lionhead. :o I only have two of the fry, but they both have dorsals. I still love em, but I not-so-secretly hope that one day they will give me some telebabies :D

Like HomerJay, I fed mine frozen baby brine shrimp (which I found at Petsmart, and my LFS carries it too) and gave them some algae-covered plants. I also fed Super Green powder too. :)

Edited by jenzaar

I have soilent green powder, would that be OK?

I think that until they are bigger, feeding something higher in fat and protein would be better. I never feed super green exclusively to the fry because they need more than algae to get big. I don't think the nutritional profiles in either soilent or super alone would be enough for the fry.

Do you have a LFS that carries Repashy Products nearby?

The only close ones are petsmart and Petco. I'll go check there for frozen baby brine shrimp.

congrats!! :)

I have seen Hikari first bites at petco/petsmart before too, might be worth checking out if you can't find baby brine shrimp.

I found some first bites at petco but no frozen V

BBS or eggs. I'll check petsmart tomorrow. I'm so excited!

I found some first bites at petco but no frozen V

BBS or eggs. I'll check petsmart tomorrow. I'm so excited!

Ok, here is my not complete set up. I am going to go dig a heater and air stone out of the garage in a minute. I filled the 10 gallon half way so that I could dose prazi easier. There was an egg stuck to the bottom of the breeder so I guess he gets to hatch in isolation.

DSC_0023_zps646ff97b.jpg

egg #1

DSC_0029_zps56233731.jpg

egg #2

mmm_zpse1e2a218.jpg

Edited by Kulukan