Kokos Goldfish Forum

Someone talk to me about bubbles! I wanna get a couple of air stones, maybe placed under some rocks for a natural look, or maybe a bubble curtain running along the back of my tank. Dunno if I'd be better with a larger bubble ring type thing instead of typical stones? Also, I don't know what sort of air pump would be best, and at a good price more importantly? I seen a pump at Pets at Home for £10, but I'd need to buy everything separately? Then I have seen this on eBay also, which looks good. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111352057873?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If it helps, I have a 125l tank, just slightly longer than 2ft?

I use the JW pet fusion air pumps and they work well. Amazon has them cheap and I would recommend taking a look at those.

My advice would be to look for one that is quiet, I don't know about everyone else but my air pump is definitely the noisiest part of my set-up. Apart the noise aspect I think they're all much of a muchness really, they all pump air. And air stones and curtains are very cheap (you can pick up a stone for a £1) and you can easily swap and change them as you please :)

It is my opinion a long air wand looks the best and is most effective since it covers the most area. However, I think my red l.e.d volcano is the coolest.

I personally like the Whisper Air Pumps by Tetra. I have had no problems with mine and it is virtually very quiet. I am not sure of the availability of this pump in your country.

In terms of air stone vs. wand, it's really up to your personal aesthetic preference. Both do a good job at aeration. Air stones are good for "dead spots" in a tank, where poop and debris collect, usually in the corners. The concentrated air from the stone is good for getting some water movement in tight spaces.

Yes, you will have to buy everything separately. The 3 basic elements you need are the pump (source of power for your air), airline tubing (carries air from pump to stone or wand) and the airstone or wand itself, that will attach on the other end, into your tank. I highly encourage you also pick up a check valve, cut your airline tubing between the pump and the stone/wand and stick it in there. The check valve helps prevent water back siphoning from your stone/wand back into your pump and damaging it (it occurs when the plug is pulled and the pump shuts off).

I agree with Georgia, down to even the brand of pump. Whispers are great.

Look up Ecoplus . i bought one cheap at a local aquaponics store and it pumps alot of air and are dead quiet.

i bought this one for 16.00 locally

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ecoplus-Air-2-Two-Outlet-Pump-aquarium-hydroponics-eco-plus-variable-control-/130617881784?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item1e696eb4b8

I use it for two 1 1/2 inch airstones and a smaller airstone in a 1 gallon tank with tons of air bubbles

Edited by GoldieLover

I just got the Aqueon LED bubble wand in white and I love it. It adds some light to the bottom of my tank and makes my fishes' colors pop. I have the Marineland Double Bright LED, so it looks like I have the same lights in the sand.

I love the Tetra pumps too. I also have a Fusion that I use for my QT; the Tetra is much quieter.

3ubege5y.jpg

Edited by *Amanda*

I just got the Aqueon LED bubble wand in white and I love it. It adds some light to the bottom of my tank and makes my fishes' colors pop. I have the Marineland Double Bright LED, so it looks like I have the same lights in the sand.

I love the Tetra pumps too. I also have a Fusion that I use for my QT; the Tetra is much quieter.

3ubege5y.jpg

Hey that looks awesome, any other photos of it?

24n1ac5.jpg

This is my bubble wand. sorry for it floating the suction cups weren't on because I just did a water change and its upside down. I got it at walmart for 2$ and the air pump is the fusion 10 that I had left over from my guppy tank. You can see how powerful it is.

3ubege5y.jpg

Hey that looks awesome, any other photos of it?
Here they are. They also sell a blue LED wand, but I prefer the white. It's also flexible, so you can bend it into different shapes.

uhu7apap.jpg

ydata7av.jpg

Here is mine

IMAG1754.jpg

IMAG1752.jpg

IMAG1755.jpg

I like flexible bubble wands the best and I agree that the tetra whispers are awesome air pumps :)

I had a noisy pump and I just wrapped it in a small towel and you could barely hear it. If you want a more natural look I wold go with air stones it just looked more natural in my opinion

I concur with those suggesting Tetra Air Pumps! I get them on the cheap from Amazon. Not sure about the availability where you are, but you should check them out! I'm running a Model 40 on my 55 gallon tank and it pushes out ALOT of bubbles! I'll post some pictures later!

I've been searching threads looking on info for air pumps  but must thank you for these awesome pics!  I've been looking at this volcano (and also the crystal) for a while.  How cool is that!  Now even harder to resist! 

Here is mine

IMAG1754.jpg

IMAG1752.jpg

IMAG1755.jpg

Edited by Butterfly

That volcano is like a Goldfish disco :happydance

Hi guys,

It's great you're doing research and reading through old threads, but unless you're the original poster, please check to see when the last post was made. This thread is over a year old now and a lot of the posters are currently inactive. Generally we try not to dig up threads more than a few months old. :)

Edited by dan in aus