Kokos Goldfish Forum

I went to the same petsmart I got my fish Moucho and Moncho, and I saw a very cute ryukin who the worker loved and was wanting him to go to a good home. Do you think I could keep 3 fish in my 40 gallon breeder? It is more like 45-46 gallons. I am also considering a single tail because those are my favorite but do you think it would outgrow my tank? We are working on maybe getting a pond so if it gets to big I will just move him out to the pond.

Three fish should be fine, but four is really pushing it. How old and how big are Moucho and Moncho?

I agree that three would be ok. I think it would take a long time for a single tail to outgrown a 40B. Although, as I have been thinking about it more and more recently, my fish are really only fed 7 months a year. The rest of the year it is too cold. So they are really only growing much half the year. I suppose inside they might grow faster. I would probably over filter the 40 to be sure that ammonia stays at 0.

Edited by DieselPlower

Since sadly both lived in not ideal conditions, they are only about 5-6 inches total. I only am planning on adding one but do you think a single tail would get to big?

Since sadly both lived in not ideal conditions, they are only about 5-6 inches total. I only am planning on adding one but do you think a single tail would get to big?

No. It is very unusual for a single tail to get to be 12" long. Maybe 8" more likely. A foot long fish is like a 7' tall man. There just aren't many of them. A 40 B is 36" long and 18" wide to the fish will have plenty of room. Although, I dont think inside a tank is ideal for any single tail. I dont keep any inside anymore. But if you want it Id say it will be ok.

Please be sure to place any new fish into quarantine, before adding them into the main tank! You don't want anyone getting sick, if an issue crops up!

Okay thank you all! I am definantly getting a single tail and if i get a pond then it will move into that. Thanks!!

No. It is very unusual for a single tail to get to be 12" long. Maybe 8" more likely. A foot long fish is like a 7' tall man. There just aren't many of them. A 40 B is 36" long and 18" wide to the fish will have plenty of room. Although, I dont think inside a tank is ideal for any single tail. I dont keep any inside anymore. But if you want it Id say it will be ok.

I disagree on this as i have single tails which are 8+ and growing and have seen mant local GF and have seen much larger

I disagree on this as i have single tails which are 8+ and growing and have seen mant local GF and have seen much larger

Yes but you are including the tail which doesn't count.

Come on DP, it's not hard to say 12" sl, and make yourself clear. And total length is a legitimate measurement too -- just useless for goldfish. Sellers usually give the total length, since it makes the fish sound bigger.

Come on DP, it's not hard to say 12" sl, and make yourself clear. And total length is a legitimate measurement too -- just useless for goldfish. Sellers usually give the total length, since it makes the fish sound bigger.

Sorry I have always used length without tail because as you said, total length is "useless for goldfish".

So do I, but most people use total length, so everyone should say 12" tl or 6" sl or __" (w/wo tail), to make it clear which measurement they are using. Set a good example for newbies. :)

So do I, but most people use total length, so everyone should say 12" tl or 6" sl or __" (w/wo tail), to make it clear which measurement they are using. Set a good example for newbies. :)

OK I'll try to remember. So would you say a single tail would be OK in a 40B although it may not be ideal? Or no?

The Guinness record for the longest goldfish is held by a 19 inch t.l. common goldfish, which should be about 15" s.l. That fish is too big for a 40B. No aquarium-raised goldfish will approach that length. Even a giant ryukin can turn around in a 40B without rolling on its side. So I would say no single goldfish raised in a 40B will outgrow it.

I am not even sure that any pair of goldfish will get too big for a 40B that they grew up in. You may have to increase water changes to accommodate the increased biomass if they get very large, but the older and bigger goldfish get, the lazier they are. Big goldfish in a familiar setting are like a human old-timer puttering around the garden.

You'll have to post photo's of your new fish if you decide to get him/her.

Okay thanks guys

I have 3 shubunkins, 2 comets and 1 fancy in a 100 gallon tank. The sarasa comets are probably 10-12 inches without the tails. Two of the shubies are at least 8 inches without the tails, 1 is newer and still small but growing fast. The fancy is probalby 4-5 inches without the tail. I don't think a single tail belongs in a 40 gallon. The single tails grow really fast. I had a 60 and the older ones outgrew it. One of the comets and one of the shubies are over 8 years old. They others have been purchased in the last 7 years.

I have 3 shubunkins, 2 comets and 1 fancy in a 100 gallon tank. The sarasa comets are probably 10-12 inches without the tails. Two of the shubies are at least 8 inches without the tails, 1 is newer and still small but growing fast. The fancy is probalby 4-5 inches without the tail. I don't think a single tail belongs in a 40 gallon. The single tails grow really fast. I had a 60 and the older ones outgrew it. One of the comets and one of the shubies are over 8 years old. They others have been purchased in the last 7 years.

You should post photos of all of these in our photos section. ;)

Congratulations on being a very good fishkeeper. You can be proud of having such mature fish and for growing them so large in an aquarium. :)

Fish are 3 dimensional. Fancies do not grow as long as normal-bodied fish, but they are both taller and wider. A rough "average" fancy has a mass similar to to a comet/common twice it's length. The very round fancies, like ryukins and pearlscales, have a mass more like three times that of a comet/common of the same length. Your fancy is likely similar in mass to to your long-bodied fish.

I would love to post photos, but haven't had any turn out real great. The little I know about fish keeping is what I have learned on this awesome forum.

I had three in my tank, one of them being a common. I realized a few months later that it was a mistake, although I loved her, and she was rehomed. She was not only becoming dominant of my fish, but her growth was getting to the point that I knew she would look cramped in the tank. I now, again, have three in my tank. Two of them are very small, and I know I can dedicate the time and effort to taking care of them so I never feel like I have a stocking problem. By habit, I have always done two water changes per week, even when there were only two.

Three in a 40 (47!) isn't awful by any means, but be sure you're prepared to possibly do a little more for the tank if it turns out you end up with three big ones.

I wish you the best of luck, odd numbers are said to bring harmony and prosperity. :heart