Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Something is seriously up with Steve's mouth

I think it's destiny that we both came back around the same time! I can't believe you forgot about your own anniversary!!! Komi even started a thread about it and I was the first to comment (of course!) Have you even seen it?! http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118188-Happy-A-goldiegeek

So glad you guys don't think it is Columnaris. Holy cow! I was scared to pop in and see the responses. Lol. I was reading up on it and it is often attributed to poor tank conditions. These two went into a brand new "fishlessly cycled" tank and have never experienced a drop of ammonia or nitrite. No pH swings. No illnesses. No stress. So I was stumped.

I have noticed a lot if little white specs on the floor of the tank. They can be siphoned no problem, but have to be scrubbed first because they are sticky. I have never noticed this before. I am hoping it isn't some sort of parasitic eggs. Definitely not Ich.

Steve's mouth is no worse over the past couple of days, thank god. He can still eat, mind you it takes a couple tries. Like his aim is off.

I'm puzzled though because the meds seem to have no effect. Steve's gf still has those two patches. Both still have the white dots on the tail fin, I assume slime coat as Tithra suggested. No worse, but no better.

once the damage has occurred, I think it is unlikely to reverse even with treatment. My aim with treatment in these situations is to stop the progression, and I think that's the best we can hope for in terms of Steve's mouth, that it does not continue to get worse.

Can you get a pic of the white dots? Are they in Steve's tank? Could they be goldfish eggs?

Definitely not eggs. These guys spawn every two weeks, so I spend a lot of time dealing with eggs. Lol. It looks like it could be super tiny eggs of some other kind. I'm doing that tank today, so I'll get hubby to take some shots of the siphoning. I am dying for a microscope. If anyone is near Ottawa and wants to come over for a coffee and a scrape, let me know!
I have these white specks in one of my tanks, too. I might have them in all my tanks, and only notice it in that tank because it has black gravel. I never really thought much of it, but now I'm curious.

I have mostly bare bottom. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago and figured it was detritus from the North Fin food I am trying (it is almost white) and did an extra water change. It was when I started siphoning that I got a close look. Definitely not detritus. I really want to know what it is. Do you have a photo of your specks? Lol

I'm sorry your fish isn't well at this time. It's good that he has an appetite.

Thanks! So far he's eating like each meal is his last. Hopefully that continues.

I think it's destiny that we both came back around the same time! I can't believe you forgot about your own anniversary!!! Komi even started a thread about it and I was the first to comment (of course!) Have you even seen it?! http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118188-Happy-A-goldiegeek

You must have sent me some "log in" vibes. lol. I just popped over...thanks for the link. *facepalm*

So glad you guys don't think it is Columnaris. Holy cow! I was scared to pop in and see the responses. Lol. I was reading up on it and it is often attributed to poor tank conditions. These two went into a brand new "fishlessly cycled" tank and have never experienced a drop of ammonia or nitrite. No pH swings. No illnesses. No stress. So I was stumped.

I have noticed a lot if little white specs on the floor of the tank. They can be siphoned no problem, but have to be scrubbed first because they are sticky. I have never noticed this before. I am hoping it isn't some sort of parasitic eggs. Definitely not Ich.

Steve's mouth is no worse over the past couple of days, thank god. He can still eat, mind you it takes a couple tries. Like his aim is off.

I'm puzzled though because the meds seem to have no effect. Steve's gf still has those two patches. Both still have the white dots on the tail fin, I assume slime coat as Tithra suggested. No worse, but no better.

once the damage has occurred, I think it is unlikely to reverse even with treatment. My aim with treatment in these situations is to stop the progression, and I think that's the best we can hope for in terms of Steve's mouth, that it does not continue to get worse.

Can you get a pic of the white dots? Are they in Steve's tank? Could they be goldfish eggs?

Definitely not eggs. These guys spawn every two weeks, so I spend a lot of time dealing with eggs. Lol. It looks like it could be super tiny eggs of some other kind. I'm doing that tank today, so I'll get hubby to take some shots of the siphoning. I am dying for a microscope. If anyone is near Ottawa and wants to come over for a coffee and a scrape, let me know!
I have these white specks in one of my tanks, too. I might have them in all my tanks, and only notice it in that tank because it has black gravel. I never really thought much of it, but now I'm curious.
I have mostly bare bottom. I noticed it about 3 weeks ago and figured it was detritus from the North Fin food I am trying (it is almost white) and did an extra water change. It was when I started siphoning that I got a close look. Definitely not detritus. I really want to know what it is. Do you have a photo of your specks? Lol
Here is a pic. You can see some of the white spots in the gravel.

era5ybap.jpg

You must have sent me some "log in" vibes. lol. I just popped over...thanks for the link. *facepalm*
No problem! Haha, also, I obviously meant Koko!

Amanda, that looks just like mine. I originally thought that a decoration was crumbling or something, but no.

Amanda, that looks just like mine. I originally thought that a decoration was crumbling or something, but no.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to collect any given the size of the specks, but when I go to Mario's house this coming weekend (it's in his tank, not mine), I will try to bag some and then bring the specks to work to look at them under our microscope, and post my findings here. It goes up to 619X, so I should be able to see something.

I'd be surprised if they were parasite eggs, since I would think those would be invisible to the naked eye. I always thought they were just debris of some sort.

Edited by *Amanda*

I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it's anything to worry about :)