Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Something is seriously up with Steve's mouth

Sounds great! Thank you so much Helen. Today Steve looks much the same. He is still eating like it's the last meal he'll ever get. Lol. He was even chasing his tank mate this morning. It was nice to see. I'll dose the General Cure and post some photos tonight. Poor little guy.

Tithra, the way you describe the slime coat build up makes total sense with what I'm seeing. I'm amazed I didn't notice any symptoms until the mouth deformity appeared. These two are my most social, friendly, interactive fish. It's really scary to imagine not having them.

Do you think there is any value to giving him a salt dip to try to blast a few off of him? I'm apprehensive because I don't want to cause him anymore stress if it won't do much.

I'm sorry your fish isn't well at this time. It's good that he has an appetite.

Tithra, the way you describe the slime coat build up makes total sense with what I'm seeing. I'm amazed I didn't notice any symptoms until the mouth deformity appeared. These two are my most social, friendly, interactive fish. It's really scary to imagine not having them.

Do you think there is any value to giving him a salt dip to try to blast a few off of him? I'm apprehensive because I don't want to cause him anymore stress if it won't do much.

If you think he is strong/well enough for a salt dip, I think that is not a bad idea just to strip away a bit of the slime coat :) Let us know if you need instruction on this.

any updates, Sarah? will you be doing the salt dips?

Steve's mouth got a bit worse in terms of the cave in. It seems to be holding steady now. It looks like it drives him nuts. Round 2 of meds starts tonight. I think I will give him a dip. If any more damage occurs with his mouth, it looks like it would have to be cut:/ I don't want to go there.

Is there a specific amount of salt that would be best in this case? I think I remember using 0.05% the last time I did one. 5 minute dip unless he can't right himself or shows other signs of stress, right?

I really hope he bounces back.

I'm sorry hun :( When you say the mouth will have to be cut, do you mean it is beginning to fuse shut?

Here are salt dip instructions, let me know if you have questions. Most important thing to remember is to take him out right away if he tilts over and does not get back up on his own.

1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.
2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubble stone, or something bigger.
3. make sure you have some sort of timer
4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.
5. start timer.
6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.
7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.
8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him and place in holding tank, as described in #6.
9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Thanks! I did the dip according to your instructions. Not much change. His jaw/cheek is continuing to fold further into his mouth. I'm afraid it may block his whole mouth. This morning, his girlfriend acquired a lovely white patch on her head. I was researching and I think it was Columnaris that presents with a fungus like patch? Any possibility there? There has been no improvement with the General Cure (god it's expensive).

To add to my fun, two of my kids have pneumonia and hubby dropped my 8" Axolotl from three feet causing some bad injuries:( I've been all over that too.

uhyhyty3.jpg

Sorry, 2 patches now. :/

nepane8a.jpg

Are the tubercle looking dots around HER eye normal?

eza3umup.jpg

Trying to pop it out...

apatu9y2.jpg

One white patch has an eruption.

I'll try to get a shot of Steve's open mouth.

i don't think it's columnaris, and the dots under the eye is perfectly normal. i forget what they are for, but they are meant to be there :) re the white dot on her wen, although it is quite immediate in one spot, it could be wen growth, but for both fish, there is no harm to be adding melafix to the water to get some 'sterile' happening.

Hi Sarah,

I don't see the columnaris patches...

I agree with Alex and Helen, the white spot on the wen doesn't look concerning.

I'm sorry that Steve's mouth continues to collapse :( Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do except hope that the progression stops. You're doing everything you should be at this point :hug

I hope all goes well and happy anniversary!!! :)

any updates, hun? how is steve's mouth and that white spot on his wen?

So glad you guys don't think it is Columnaris. Holy cow! I was scared to pop in and see the responses. Lol. I was reading up on it and it is often attributed to poor tank conditions. These two went into a brand new "fishlessly cycled" tank and have never experienced a drop of ammonia or nitrite. No pH swings. No illnesses. No stress. So I was stumped.

I have noticed a lot if little white specs on the floor of the tank. They can be siphoned no problem, but have to be scrubbed first because they are sticky. I have never noticed this before. I am hoping it isn't some sort of parasitic eggs. Definitely not Ich.

Steve's mouth is no worse over the past couple of days, thank god. He can still eat, mind you it takes a couple tries. Like his aim is off.

I'm puzzled though because the meds seem to have no effect. Steve's gf still has those two patches. Both still have the white dots on the tail fin, I assume slime coat as Tithra suggested. No worse, but no better.

Justin! I've missed you, buddy:) I'll send you a PM.

At the risk of sounding thick, lol,anniversary?

So glad you guys don't think it is Columnaris. Holy cow! I was scared to pop in and see the responses. Lol. I was reading up on it and it is often attributed to poor tank conditions. These two went into a brand new "fishlessly cycled" tank and have never experienced a drop of ammonia or nitrite. No pH swings. No illnesses. No stress. So I was stumped.

I have noticed a lot if little white specs on the floor of the tank. They can be siphoned no problem, but have to be scrubbed first because they are sticky. I have never noticed this before. I am hoping it isn't some sort of parasitic eggs. Definitely not Ich.

Steve's mouth is no worse over the past couple of days, thank god. He can still eat, mind you it takes a couple tries. Like his aim is off.

I'm puzzled though because the meds seem to have no effect. Steve's gf still has those two patches. Both still have the white dots on the tail fin, I assume slime coat as Tithra suggested. No worse, but no better.

once the damage has occurred, I think it is unlikely to reverse even with treatment. My aim with treatment in these situations is to stop the progression, and I think that's the best we can hope for in terms of Steve's mouth, that it does not continue to get worse.

Can you get a pic of the white dots? Are they in Steve's tank? Could they be goldfish eggs?

One year on Koko's!!! :nana I've been busy lately (a new bedroom for me was being built in the basement! :) ) but I'm glad to be back. I see you've been gone for a while, too! Glad to see we're both back in the groove!

One year on Koko's!!! :nana I've been busy lately (a new bedroom for me was being built in the basement! :) ) but I'm glad to be back. I see you've been gone for a while, too! Glad to see we're both back in the groove!
That is SO COOL. I would have loved to have had my own room in the basement as a teenager.

That is SO COOL. I would have loved to have had my own room in the basement as a teenager.

It's pretty nice :D A cool 70℉ all the time! Someone my family is close to is a good carpenter (Actually he built all the houses in my subdivision!) and helped us out. It is pretty awesome because I could ask him to do special things like in-wall speaker wire and a electrical socket high up on my wall so I could mount my TV with no wire hanging down, not to mention a 4 socket electrical socket so I could plug all of my fish things in without an adapter! :nana I live in a 4 bedroom house with 3 siblings, so one of us didn't get a pre-built room. I picked the short straw (I like to call it being born in the middle) but now I'm thinking I'm pretty lucky. I'm just finishing up with painting and things, so I moved the tank in and they're very happy.

It's pretty nice :D A cool 70℉ all the time! Someone my family is close to is a good carpenter (Actually he built all the houses in my subdivision!) and helped us out. It is pretty awesome because I could ask him to do special things like in-wall speaker wire and a electrical socket high up on my wall so I could mount my TV with no wire hanging down, not to mention a 4 socket electrical socket so I could plug all of my fish things in without an adapter! :nana I live in a 4 bedroom house with 3 siblings, so one of us didn't get a pre-built room. I picked the short straw (I like to call it being born in the middle) but now I'm thinking I'm pretty lucky. I'm just finishing up with painting and things, so I moved the tank in and they're very happy.
Ahh that's so cool! I was an only child and my parents were super protective ... there weren't even locks on the doors in my house!

Ahh that's so cool! I was an only child and my parents were super protective ... there weren't even locks on the doors in my house!

A blessing and a curse, I would imagine. I would take 'overprotective parents' over 'not-caring parents' any day. :) If the locks hadn't come with the house I'm not too sure that we would have them now!

once the damage has occurred, I think it is unlikely to reverse even with treatment. My aim with treatment in these situations is to stop the progression, and I think that's the best we can hope for in terms of Steve's mouth, that it does not continue to get worse.

Can you get a pic of the white dots? Are they in Steve's tank? Could they be goldfish eggs?

Definitely not eggs. These guys spawn every two weeks, so I spend a lot of time dealing with eggs. Lol. It looks like it could be super tiny eggs of some other kind. I'm doing that tank today, so I'll get hubby to take some shots of the siphoning. I am dying for a microscope. If anyone is near Ottawa and wants to come over for a coffee and a scrape, let me know! ?

Definitely not eggs. These guys spawn every two weeks, so I spend a lot of time dealing with eggs. Lol. It looks like it could be super tiny eggs of some other kind. I'm doing that tank today, so I'll get hubby to take some shots of the siphoning. I am dying for a microscope. If anyone is near Ottawa and wants to come over for a coffee and a scrape, let me know!
I have these white specks in one of my tanks, too. I might have them in all my tanks, and only notice it in that tank because it has black gravel. I never really thought much of it, but now I'm curious.

Omg! That's right! Lol. I hit a point where things got crazy busy with my kids and I had to put my goldfish obsession on the back burner. Things have simmered down now, so I plan to take the weekly photo contest by storm! Haha

Super glad to see you are back too. I must admit, hubby and I built our bedroom and offices in the basement too. It is the best decision ever. I've now got my fish in my office and the rescues stay upstairs along with all of their equipment. It's really nice not to have to worry about cross contamination. When I empty rescue tanks, I run a hose from the siphon to the sewer at the end of my driveway, not sure if that actually helps avoid anything. Lol. ANYWAY...very nice to be back and see all of the familiar folks:) there's no other site quite like this one.