Kokos Goldfish Forum
LyinHead

My Ranchu just released some eggs

My Jade Cap ranchu has acted a little funny the last couple of days, gulping air a little more than usual, no unusual swimming, no "floatiness". I've fed a little lighter the last couple of days, just fed some Repashy, came back from putting it back in the fridge and BOOM. Eggs every where. I know last night and tonight are full moons. So 2 questions I'd like feed back on. 1 should I worry about her getting eggbound? She's been a nice round fish since I got her 3 weeks ago from ECR, so i didnt know if I should help her any more for her own health (hand stimulate). Or should I put her with my male tonight to see if they'll spawn?

She has been alone in the QT for the last 3 weeks, so she hasn't came in to contact with my make yet. They are both 4" fish.

Sounds like she's releasing the eggs just fine on her own. Obviously a male isn't needed to release eggs. If she's acting more normal now and eating well, I'd leave her in isolation for the full QT. :D

Get rid of the eggs if you haven't done so already. They will foul the water quickly.

I was asking about the male for an attempt at a spawn. Or is there an allotted time needed for chasing to prep the male for releasing his contribution to the spawn.

If you want babies and the fish has not appeared sick, put them together. Worst that can happen is you have to treat a sick fish. OK or a dead one... but highly unlikely it seems.

Edited by DieselPlower

I would wait til QT is done.

Your female has the possibility to spawn quite often over the next few weeks.