Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Lis.

Cheap dark sand?

25 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm considering doing a dirted tank in my new tank (if it ever turns up). I want to use sand as a cap, but I want it to be dark sand. There was one I really liked (jbl black sand) but it's not cheap, even with staff discount. Could any of you suggest a dark sand that isn't bad value for money? And if so, where can I get it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :D

Google "cheap black sand" and you will find lots of discussions on this subject.

Many people use and recommend Black Diamond blasting sand, which you can get at Tractor Supply Company. A number of people who have used both swear it is indistinguishable from the Caribsea product.

Google "cheap black sand" and you will find lots of discussions on this subject.

Many people use and recommend Black Diamond blasting sand, which you can get at Tractor Supply Company. A number of people who have used both swear it is indistinguishable from the Caribsea product.

Is it available overseas? I'm sure they have some sort of equivalent.

They certainly have sand blasting grit in the UK. The best thing to do is find a brand of black grit and then google that specific product with "aquarium substrate".

Thank you Sharon. I remember reading that blasting sand is 'sharp' (I've read this on a number of occasions when I've googled sand), what's your opinion on this?

Yes, careful about the sharp edges, Lis.

Estes has a very fine black sand, I think it may be artificial. It is very very fine and looks great but a bit more high maintenance.

Estes has a very fine black sand, I think it may be artificial. It is very very fine and looks great but a bit more high maintenance.

I've never heard of Estes, I live in the UK, not sure if we have that here :idont

I'm not having much luck with the search for cheap dark sand. If needs be I'll bite the bullet and buy jbl black sand, I just know I'll be buying a lot of it :rofl

Buy plain pea gravel and spray paint each stone black individually!!!!!!.... Lol...:-\ :-\

This is a joke by the way!!!...just in case anyone thinks its a good idea!..lol

Buy plain pea gravel and spray paint each stone black individually!!!!!!.... Lol...:-\ :-\http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/fine-black-aquarium-gravel-25kg.html

This is a joke by the way!!!...just in case anyone thinks its a good idea!..lol

Edited by fingers

*whispers* Buy the good stuff! :rofl3

I never thought a fish tank would cost me so much :rofl

Custom built tank and cabinet, lighting, 2 FX5's...no point skimping now :rofl

I never thought a fish tank would cost me so much :rofl

Custom built tank and cabinet, lighting, 2 FX5's...no point skimping now :rofl

I would love to "best answer" this. :rofl3 :rofl3

What we do for our little critters.

I see it on Amazon.co.uk. £21 for a 2 kilo bag. It is called Estes "ultra reef" you should be able to find it. It is the shipping that makes it absurdly expensive. Their ad says 30 Kilos, but the bag shown is a 5 pound bag.

Edited by mysterygirl

Thank you Sharon. I remember reading that blasting sand is 'sharp' (I've read this on a number of occasions when I've googled sand), what's your opinion on this?

Sand is "sharp." Look at a grain of sand with a magnifying glass. However, with blasting sand, they emphasize sharpness and cutting ability as advertising. In fact, blasting sand needs sharpness no more than does a bullet. It's the speed that cuts. I have read a lot of comments, and have not seen a single person report that they have used it in their aquarium and had a problem. All of the negative comments were speculation by people that have never used it.

I see it on Amazon.co.uk. £[/size]21 for a 2 kilo bag.

That's an atrocious deal, even when you're perspective of expensive is warped from living in AU.

Alicia, this is recommended a lot on the UK Aquatic Plant Forum. It's called Unipac Limpopo. :)

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/unipac-limpopo-black-sand-125kg-p-2828.html

Yeah, it it double the price. Just another option.

The photo shown is their 2 pound bag but they are selling 30 Kg. Their Amazon ad is a bit confusing. I was curious to see if it was even available in the UK.

£21 for 30 Kg

vs.

£16.99 for 12.5 Kg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LSP-SAND-6X5/dp/B00JE6K3MQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405143503&sr=8-3&keywords=estes+sand

The shipping price makes such a difference with buying sand. My sand was $5, but the shipping added $15.

Edited by mysterygirl

I almost got this in lilac purple - Estes SpectraQuartz, I believe it was. They have a TON of colors available, too, which was the appeal for me. I would go with a cheaper substrate if I just wanted basic black. The problem is finding a seller that is nearby, as I don't believe they ship direct (and shipping costs would be exorbitant anyway - they come in 50 lb bags).

Activ-Flora is also a good substrate that is available in a nice, rich black, especially if you have plants.

Edited by *Amanda*

I have the Ultra Reef. It is a pain - it stops my HOB filter, floats unless you soak it first, shows every little light media strand.....but I love the way it looks.

The shipping price makes such a difference with buying sand. My sand was $5, but the shipping added $15.

I agree. Flat rate or free shipping are certainly more enticing when ordering substrate. The place I linked seems to be recommended on UKAPS because of the free shipping on orders over £50. :)

Edited by dan in aus

Definitely a better deal.

I see it on Amazon.co.uk. £[/size]21 for a 2 kilo bag.

That's an atrocious deal, even when you're perspective of expensive is warped from living in AU.

Alicia, this is recommended a lot on the UK Aquatic Plant Forum. It's called Unipac Limpopo. :)

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/unipac-limpopo-black-sand-125kg-p-2828.html

I quite like the price of that sand, especially if I can see if work can get it in for me. Have you seen it in an aquarium for yourself? If so, is it nice?

I have no input here, but I was reading and visited Sharon's link to blasting sand on Tractor Supply Co. and couldn't help but laugh whenever I read "PRODUCT MUST STAY DRY" In big red letters on the bag :rofl :rofl :rofl
ScreenShot2014-07-23at90913AM.png

I imagine if you tried sand blasting with wet abrasive you would end up with clumpy material. Not terribly effective.

I don't have advice on the sand buutttt I did notice your siggy needs an upgrade :P Oreo fishy is a Halloween Oreo now remember :P:teehee

I don't have advice on the sand buutttt I did notice your siggy needs an upgrade :P Oreo fishy is a Halloween Oreo now remember :P:teehee

I was actually looking at that picture of him the other day, he was so...grey :rofl and now he's got so much orange :( I don't to update my soggy though because then it'll be time to take Teddy off :(

:hug only when you're ready girly :hug