• * Ammonia Level (Reverse Osmosis) 0
    • * Nitrite Level (RO) 0
    • * Nitrate level (RO) 0
    • * pH Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6, 125.3
    • * pH Level, RO (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6, 90
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API MTK
      • * Water temperature? 68 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, 2.5 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305 and AquaClear 110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every two weeks, 100%
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 100 %
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fancies, 4-7 inches
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Equilibrium, baking soda, Seachem Excel, Flourish and Iron for my plants.
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Thera A daily, occasional blood worms and spinach, fasted once a week
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Last Prazi treatment was about three months ago.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Puffy tissue around eyes and swollen abdomen
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No unusual behavior

Hello everyone.

First I must mention that have been out of town since the beginning of June and I won't return home until the end of this month, so my boyfriend is taking care of my goldfish, so I don't know exactly how long these symptoms have been going on. He noticed today that my ranchu Squash has puffy tissue around her eyes and a swollen abdomen. From what I can tell, the tissue doesn't look fuzzy or oozy and the eyes are not popping out and she hasn't dropsied.

20140709_175534_zps02145dff.jpg

20140709_175147_zpsb41858e3.jpg

I have both Metro Meds and Medi Gold on hand as well as aquarium and epsom salt. I think I may have some Melafix and some other things too. I already told my boyfriend to set up my quarantine tank. It's a 10 gallon.

What is the next step? Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Tara

To start, I would move her to the QT tank. Make sure the temperature and pH match that of the tank from which you are pulling her. Then, add 1/4 Teaspoon of Epsom salt per 10 gallons. If the symptoms don't improve within 24 hours, you can raise the Epsom Salt to 1/2 Teaspoon per 10 gallons and start her on Metro Meds at 1% of her body weight daily.

The Melafix might help the eyes, but it won't help the abdominal swelling. The Epsom will help both. So, lets not use the Melafix for this situation. If you are very concerned about the swelling before the 24 hours is up, you can proceed with the Metro Meds. But, you will be committing to a 14 day course in QT.

Edited by jmetzger72

I hope she feels better :hug I agree, No melafix. I don't think it will do much of anything in this situation. As Jared said, 1% of her body weight in MM and 1/4tsp of epsom per ten gallons.

Let's raise the Epsom up to 1/2 Teaspoon per 10 gallons today. How is she doing?

Edited by jmetzger72

She looks the same today. I added more epsom. Should I start MMs? She is 3.8 inches from nose to peduncle. How much do I give her?

She looks the same today. I added more epsom. Should I start MMs? She is 3.8 inches from nose to peduncle. How much do I give her?

Okay, we definitely want her at 1/2 Teaspoon Epsom per 10 gallons (which I believe you are, now). Let me confer with the other Moderators about whether to start the MMs today or wait and see if the increased Epsom helps. Do you have a scale to weigh her?

Okay, we definitely want her at 1/2 Teaspoon Epsom per 10 gallons (which I believe you are, now). Let me confer with the other Moderators about whether to start the MMs today or wait and see if the increased Epsom helps. Do you have a scale to weigh her?

Okay, I don't have a scale so that's why I provided her measurements. I'll wait before feeding her.

Okay, I don't have a scale so that's why I provided her measurements. I'll wait before feeding her.

Okay, I'd like to start the Metro Meds. Let me see how much you will need based on your measurements.

Okay, I can only make an educated guess based on measurements and not weight. But, I think about 50 pellets daily would be about right. I would divide that into at least two meals (25 and 25) and more if possible (17, 17, 16).

Edited by jmetzger72

Okay so she's been on MMs for a few days now. She dropsied today so I told my boyfriend he needs to change the water to remove the epsom. He says the eyes are much better but her appetite is very poor. What can he do to help her eat? Anything else we can do?

Why remove the epsom if she is still dropsied? The epsom NEEDS to stay in the water. That's what helps reduce the swelling.

You can try soaking the metro meds in garlic juice.

She is in a ten gallon, right? So after he does the water change, add back however much epsom he took out. If he did a 50% water change, then 1/4 teaspoon needs to be added back.

Why are you using ro water, If I may ask?

Edited by Mikey

Oh okay, why was I thinking epsom was bad for dropsied fish? I guess I'm confusing it with something else?

Regular salt is bad for dropsied fish. Epsom is good.

Oooh okay. Thank you. Where can I get garlic juice? The grocery store?

Do you have any garlic in the fridge? I have minced garlic from the store in mine and I pour the juice into a cup and soaked my bloodworms in it. It will make the water smelly, just a heads up.

How do you do your water changes? A pH of 6.0 to 7.6 is a huge difference if you do a 100%. Do you have water sitting out? What is your water like without the RO connected?

Edited by Mikey

Yes, water changes are a lot of work because I have to use RO. There is ammonia in the tap and the nitrates exceed 60 ppm. I fill 55 gallons of big water cooler jugs with RO water and then add it to the aquarium after siphoning 100% of the dirty water. Then I add Prime, baking soda, Equilibrium and all the stuff for my plants. The fish go back in the tank after it runs for about half an hour.

Okay, gotcha. Your boyfriend knows how to do all this I am guessing? If he doesn't you will need to talk him through it. That pH change will stress squash out to the max if he doesn't do it right.

Yes, he knows about the bad tap water. I left him detailed instructions too. He is doing the same thing for the QT, of course modifying the additives for the smaller tank.

Okay so she's been on MMs for a few days now. She dropsied today so I told my boyfriend he needs to change the water to remove the epsom. He says the eyes are much better but her appetite is very poor. What can he do to help her eat? Anything else we can do?

Keep the Epsom in the water, please. If garlic doesn't entice them to eat, then we'll need to pick up meds to dose in the tank water.

I'd contact your nearest water management about those levels.. http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/nitrate.cfm

Yeah, I already did that dance. The water company told me my test kit is inaccurate.

They wouldn't come test it? :(

I'd contact your nearest water management about those levels.. http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/nitrate.cfm

Yeah, I already did that dance. The water company told me my test kit is inaccurate.

They wouldn't come test it? :(

When was the last time you tested your water, T? Try again. And if still high, call again and tell them to come check it if they don't believe you.

I checked it a few months ago. They came out and did a pH test and took some water for further testing. A few weeks later they called me to say everything was normal. They said the nitrates were 6 ppm. I told them my test was showing something more like 60 and they said it was wrong. I even did the test while I was on the phone with them. The conversation kept going in circles so I just bought a RO system. It is something the whole area is aware of. Some people speculate that it is the cause of high breast cancer rates. Who knows. I'll just avoid it altogether.