Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sally2007

What kind of plant is this?

I would say yes, definitely looks like one.

Yeppers, it sure is. Just don't ask me which kind. :rofl3 Whatever it is, I'm sure I've killed one or two in my day. :o

:rofl3

That looks very much like my "assorted anubias sp." :rofl So helpful, right? That's how they were labeled... :)

Yeppers, it sure is. Just don't ask me which kind. :rofl3 Whatever it is, I'm sure I've killed one or two in my day. :o

:rofl3

LoL

That looks very much like my "assorted anubias sp." :rofl So helpful, right? That's how they were labeled... :)

Lol it's ok, I'm not sure which one too :-)

Looks like anubias barteri, but then I hate identifying anubias. :rofl

Those Anubias looks like my Anubias Nana, so I think that it is Anubias Nana.

It's a smaller variety of anubias barteri var. nana.

I have a barteri that puts out leaves the size of my hand! :) They're fun plants, and I hope you enjoy it!

I have a barteri that puts out leaves the size of my hand! :) They're fun plants, and I hope you enjoy it!

Nana is the small variety unless barteri var. barteri is no longer an apt name for the bigger leaved barteri?

Nana is the small variety unless barteri var. barteri is no longer an apt name for the bigger leaved barteri?

That's the way petsmart labels them here.

I have some teeny tiny nanas, which are just anubias nanas. Then the in between barteris Petsmart labels them barteri var nanas. My *really* large barteri was bought from a big plant seller as Barteri Barteri.

I think that there are so many different kinds of them, and every seller labels them slightly differently. Lol!

I have some teeny tiny nanas, which are just anubias nanas. Then the in between barteris Petsmart labels them barteri var nanas. My *really* large barteri was bought from a big plant seller as Barteri Barteri.

I think that there are so many different kinds of them, and every seller labels them slightly differently. Lol!

The tiny nanas should be barteri var. nana petite. There's an even smaller variety, but its name eludes me. I know of at least 5 types of barteri. That's why anubias sucks. :rofl

The tiny nanas should be barteri var. nana petite. There's an even smaller variety, but its name eludes me. I know of at least 5 types of barteri. That's why anubias sucks. :rofl

People keep cranking out new kinds, and giving them cute names! :rofl3

Actually, I remember reading a thread on tpt, where someone paid mega bucks for an anubias because it was ermagerd rare! :o When he put it into his tank, it started growing completely differently, because it was finally in good conditions. Lol! It was a seven dollar barteri, omg.

Also, I was actually sold a plant known as anubias minima, but when I look at pictures of other people's minimas online, it looks nothing like mine. :o I've just learned to not care what varieties that I have, so long as I like them.

That so-called "minima" is actually my favorite. ;)

I have different petites in there, that really look quite different, as well. Some of them have light colored, thin, round leaves, while others look just like the barteris. with their thick, dark green leaves.

There seems to be some debate if there is an sp. 'micro'. Some people claim it is totally different from 'petite' with smaller leaves etc., but then others say it is the same thing :idont I haven't seen a clear answer on that, and can't say I've ever even seen 'micro' for sale.

My petsmart is now selling petite in the little gel bags!

There seems to be some debate if there is an sp. 'micro'. Some people claim it is totally different from 'petite' with smaller leaves etc., but then others say it is the same thing :idont I haven't seen a clear answer on that, and can't say I've ever even seen 'micro' for sale.

My petsmart is now selling petite in the little gel bags!

I'm going to have to go check petsmart! I had no idea they carried petites!

I'm talking like I *really* need to spend more money on plants.... :tomuch:

mine just started! I love those little gel packs of plants, I keep worrying that they are going to stop carrying them because I can't imagine that there's anyone but me who buys them around here lol

mine just started! I love those little gel packs of plants, I keep worrying that they are going to stop carrying them because I can't imagine that there's anyone but me who buys them around here lol

I stopped looking at them because they always look dead and mushy. I only ever saw tiny stem plants in there, you know? Stuff my fish would look at and see appetizers. :rofl3

I stopped looking at them because they always look dead and mushy. I only ever saw tiny stem plants in there, you know? Stuff my fish would look at and see appetizers. :rofl3

:rofl :rofl

usually about half of the packages are dead... I tried to get a discount once for a package that looked only half dead and they said no.

Do you mean tissue culture plants that are grown in agar?

Do you mean tissue culture plants that are grown in agar?

yes, those. They have downoi, s. repens, narrow leaf ludwigia, dwarf hairgrass, crypt wendtii, and a few others ;)

This one looks like the standard Anubias var. Barteri to me :)

I have taken taxonomy courses and specialize in Ontario wildflowers/other province specific trees, but I would like to point out the fact that everyone I know who specializes in taxonomy also thinks the naming system is ridiculous. We all got together for a few drinks and joking about it at the end of the night the plant names we made up still weren't as silly as some that exist!

Also I had no clue what this was :P

Thanks for putting this up OP I've been trying to ID my Anubias for a while!

Edited by ActiasAmy