Kokos Goldfish Forum
OrandaPanda

Tropical Storm?

Tropical storm Arthur is scheduled to come through RI on Friday, should I bring the pond comets inside for the storm?

What's your pond like?

Its about 100 gallons or so, and three feet deep in the deepest part. There is an old submerged 20 gallon lying on its side, with the side out of the water covered in plastic fencing for a shady hiding spot.

How many fish do you have in the pond?

I would be worried about any large trees or branches hanging over the pond. Why not quickly post some setup pics, for our pond experts. Many are from areas prone to hurricanes, and can offer some good advice!

Good luck!

I don't think i'll be able to get any pics today sorry, but there are three comets in there and they are small. There are also some platys that were crowding my 55 that are in the pond for the season. There are some trees surrounding the pond

Is it in ground or out? I heard that the tropical storm is now a hurricane.

Can you throw a piece of wood over it and hold that down with bricks?

Otherwise what would you put them in inside?

How long would they be inside?

The only problem I know of for fish in a tropical storm/ hurricane is if the wind and rain are so heavy they get washed out of the pond. My fish always go to the bottom in a heavy rain, so I don't worry. If it worries you, bring them in for your peace of mind. Storms are stressful enough when you aren't worrying about your pets.

I would probably put them in some sort of plastic tub, and only until the storm passes, and I would worry about gas exchange with the surface if I put wood over it. I think i'll probably just bring them to be safe

How much gas do you think can build up in a short time? Is your pond filthy? I'm sure it will be nicer to have them inside. Do you have a filter or air pump?

I would probably put them in some sort of plastic tub, and only until the storm passes, and I would worry about gas exchange with the surface if I put wood over it. I think i'll probably just bring them to be safe

Wood on top, unless siliconed, wouldn't seal them inside with no gas exchange. Just leave the wood edge with a little exposed area on one side if you're that nervous.

Otherwise bring them indoors.

Wood flies in a hurricane. So do bricks sitting on wood.

No, my pond isn't filthy, and well the wood would have probably been fine, but I brought them inside. I could only catch two unfortunately, but they are in a filtered tub and doing fine.