Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shubmum

shub and common crosses

Hi! I bought my children a couple of goldfish last year, a shubunkin and a common goldfish. We were very surprised to find they laid eggs this spring. I took the eggs out and started googling goldfish ALOT! I think this site is fantastic by the way, its so informative. We know have approx 30 six week old baby fish. About half are very pale with dark eyes, they are starting to get patches of colour so I'm pretty sure they will be like their mum whose a shubunkin. The others are all silvery green and metallic. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they will turn gold or not? I've read that metallic offspring of shubunkins stay green, but does anyone have experience of Shubunkin crosses.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations! That sounds very interesting! I'll be really happy if you have an opportunity to post some pictures of the babies :)

Your metallic babies will be metallic -- white, orange/red, or orange/red and white.

Your nacreous babies (the pale ones) will be sakuras, that is, shubunkins without black or blue. They may have some black and blue when they are young, but these will fade since they all got the "lose the black" gene from mom.

If you mate two shubunkins that both have black and blue (as well well as shades of red, orange, and yellow), you will get 1/4 wild-colored metallics (that stay wild colored), 1/2 shubunkins, and 1/4 mattes. The mattes are typically pinkish white because they have transparent scales, and always have two button eyes.

Your metallic babies will be metallic -- white, orange/red, or orange/red and white.

Your nacreous babies (the pale ones) will be sakuras, that is, shubunkins without black or blue. They may have some black and blue when they are young, but these will fade since they all got the "lose the black" gene from mom.

If you mate two shubunkins that both have black and blue (as well well as shades of red, orange, and yellow), you will get 1/4 wild-colored metallics (that stay wild colored), 1/2 shubunkins, and 1/4 mattes. The mattes are typically pinkish white because they have transparent scales, and always have two button eyes.

You've been answering the question that I have been wondering for weeks! :D

Thanks so much for your replies. I will try and get some photos on but I'm not the best with technology!! I'm relieved that the fish will be coloured, it will be much easier to find them homes. I love the idea of the red and white shubs too. It will be interesting to see what they look like. I'm finding there's something quite addictive about goldfish!! I just wish I has more space! Thanks again. Shubmum