Kokos Goldfish Forum
JeremyG

How do you read the API colour tests?

Hello All,

I have been using the API Master Freshwater tests for a few months, but I have a heck of time with a few of the colours:

the yellow in the ammonia, and the PH low and high.

The colours that come up for PH appear so different from the colours on the tester sheet, especially at the top of the low range and the bottom of the high range. In terms of the ammonia, while my ammonia did not fit for any of the colours, it was yellow with no trace of green, but it didn't really match with the yellow at 0 or at .25.

Does anyone have any advice on how to match these colours up to a tester or am I using a poor testing kit?

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Regards,

Jeremy

You want to hold the vial close to a white surface (the white on the card next to the colors), but slightly away from it so that it's not touching the card, and look at it straight on.

Sometimes the colors will not match exactly. I figure this is because the reading may be slightly in between two. For example, an ammonia reading that is not a clear yellow, but not obviously green either suggests to me that there is a slight amount of ammonia that the test is picking up on. Sometimes you just need to round to the closest color. I also find the high pH test difficult to read, as the colors rarely match exactly.

If you ever want a poll, you could post pics here of the vials next to the card ;)

.or get video. It was hard for me to get the real colors to show up in pics. (but that could be just me) ;)

I had trouble reading the ammonia and nitrate. The ammonia almost always has a slight greenish tinge to it, but sometimes, when there was no doubt there wasn't any green, it would be the yellow of the nitrate, rather than the ammonia on the card. :idont(not always though)

Edited by TikiLola

Thanks, Tithra and TikiLola,

I thought I would test the local water to see what came up, and for ammonia I got that same result as this morning: that is, not a bright yellow, but a very pale yellow, as pale as the green in .25, but with no green hue to it.

At any rate, I am pretty sure our local water has no ammonia in it, but I'll have to research it. At any rate, water is crystal clear, fish are happy--so be it....

Thanks, again.

Regards,

Jeremy

Thanks, Tithra and TikiLola,

I thought I would test the local water to see what came up, and for ammonia I got that same result as this morning: that is, not a bright yellow, but a very pale yellow, as pale as the green in .25, but with no green hue to it.

At any rate, I am pretty sure our local water has no ammonia in it, but I'll have to research it. At any rate, water is crystal clear, fish are happy--so be it....

Thanks, again.

Regards,

Jeremy

You can test a bottle of water if you want to get an idea of what color a water with no ammonia etc. looks like.

There are individual differences in how we perceive color from a physiological perspective that could come into play as well ;)

Honestly, as long as it looks mostly yellow for ammonia and doesn't hit the .25ppm mark, I wouldn't worry about it :)

Thanks, Tithra,

I'm sure we perceive colours differently in some respects. I think women seem to have a better vocabulary around colour...

Regards,

J

To my eyes, the high pH is simply unreadable in the low 8s. Actually, "somewhere between 7.6 and 8.2" is usually good enough. Likewise, if you get the same yellow color on the ammonia test for tank and tap, you should be fine.

Thanks, Tithra,

I'm sure we perceive colours differently in some respects. I think women seem to have a better vocabulary around colour...

Regards,

J

LOL, I think so too. I was actually talking about this with my male coworker yesterday. We were trying to come up with a color specification for a product, and to me chartreuse was the best descriptor. He had no idea what I was talking about. I think I know most of the color names from studying the Crayola box as a child, haha.

But I have the same trouble with the ammonia. The 0 and 0.25 just look SO close! For me, holding it next to something white or taking it outside and looking straight down the tube works best.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk