tithra

Pressurized Co2 setup Basics Video

20 posts in this topic

I made a quick (okay, long) video about my co2 setup and went step by step through the logistics of setting up a regulator for pressurized co2. It's long and probably boring, but you get to see my smiling face a few times, so that's a bonus, no? :D

Here you go:

Awesome, Jess! Thank you!

Great video!!! :D if I ever get a co2 system, I'm definitely watching again because I'll be sooooo nervous putting it toether. :rofl

A lot of great information! I would love to run co2, but I'm too scared of gassing the fish! I think that the next tank I do will be a plant only high light/co2 tank.

A lot of great information! I would love to run co2, but I'm too scared of gassing the fish! I think that the next tank I do will be a plant only high light/co2 tank.

I was scared of this too initially Tammy, but when it comes down to it, it's not easy to do, particularly if you're using a pressurized system that is highly unlikely to malfunction and dump a bunch of co2 into the tank like a DIY could. The fish will let you know with their behavior if it's too much, and I personally have never seem signs of this yet.

That said, a fishless tank would be ideal for plants because you could run the co2 really high ;)

Awesome. Videos like these help so much when trying to learn about pressurized CO2. What kind of plants were those in the goldfish tank?

Awesome. Videos like these help so much when trying to learn about pressurized CO2. What kind of plants were those in the goldfish tank?

Thanks! I know I was really confused about co2 starting out :)

I just have mayaca fluviatilis and some echinodorus parviflorus tropica (it's a small relatively compact sword plant)

Same here. I had a lot of the same fears others have expressed. Luckily I started on a plants only tank, so I didn't have the fear of gassing fish. The main difficulty was identifying all the parts and what their functions were.

Same here. I had a lot of the same fears others have expressed. Luckily I started on a plants only tank, so I didn't have the fear of gassing fish. The main difficulty was identifying all the parts and what their functions were.

Yes, that was really intimidating to me as well, which is why I wanted to make video just detailing parts function and setup.

Just exchanged my overfilled tank. They weighed their tanks in front of me and almost all were overfilled! They finally found one that was only a little overfilled. The owners looked shocked and confused....wonder if they have a new employee that doesn't know what they're doing.

I will be asking them to weigh my tanks before I take them from now on

Good job, Jess. :)

This is still something that scares me, although it seems pretty hard to do if you actually watch your fish. I think the only way it would happen (besides starting off too aggressively) is if you knocked the needle valve knob during maintenance and didn't realise.

Good job, Jess. :)

This is still something that scares me, although it seems pretty hard to do if you actually watch your fish. I think the only way it would happen (besides starting off too aggressively) is if you knocked the needle valve knob during maintenance and didn't realise.

And even then, I know my needle valves take some pressure to turn

True. And if you have a heavily planted tank that consistently pearls, you are getting excellent oxygen saturation.

Does anybody understand the relationship between oxygen, co2, and fish respiration? Does too much co2 (gassing fish) mean the co2 pushed out all the oxygen?

Oh... Too much co2 can block the respiration of co2 and cause oxygen starvation.

Thank you, Jess! Good job on the video editing also! I didn't watch the whole video, but most of it, so you may have said something about this in the in video, but I was wondering: When you travel, what do you do about your CO2 system? Since it is automated, do you feel comfortable in traveling for weeks at a time?

Thank you, Jess! Good job on the video editing also! I didn't watch the whole video, but most of it, so you may have said something about this in the in video, but I was wondering: When you travel, what do you do about your CO2 system? Since it is automated, do you feel comfortable in traveling for weeks at a time?

I don't ever travel for weeks at a time, if I did I would want someone coming in and checking in on the fish, feeding them, water changes etc. More than a week to me is too long to leave the tanks unattended. But I have left for about 5 days.

The co2 is automated. The setup on my goldfish tank is automated by a pH monitor, so the co2 automatically turns on and off depending on pH. I run my co2 so that pH is always 7.0, if pH begins to rise above 7.0, the co2 kicks on until it reads 7.0 again. On the betta tanks I am going to just be using a timer - this is what most people do. So, you just plug the solenoid (what powers the co2 on/off) into a basic timer (the kind you can pick up for 5.00 at the hardware store meant for lighting typically), and then you set it for when you want it to go on/off. You want to run it for awhile before your lights turn on in the morning (which can also be automated by plugging into a timer) and then turn off when the lights turn off.

The one thing that is not automated is ferts. And with a high light tank, ferts are important. So, I have left the tanks without ferts for about 5 days and plants have generally been fine, but I wouldn't leave it longer than that without someone coming in and doing some maintenance stuff for me.

I would love to have a more elaborate planted tank which would require CO2, but my travelling would get in the way. For now, I have to live vicariously through you and others on this forum who do have these types of tanks. Thanks again for the video!

Jess this is amazing! I would love to set up a small pressurized CO2 system on my 20 gallon betta tank. I have a little CO2 system that is basically a glorified, prettier DIY system. But I would love to get into higher lighting and more advanced plants someday. But I have too many other projects right now fish wise so my betta tank dreams will have to wait :P

Jess this is amazing! I would love to set up a small pressurized CO2 system on my 20 gallon betta tank. I have a little CO2 system that is basically a glorified, prettier DIY system. But I would love to get into higher lighting and more advanced plants someday. But I have too many other projects right now fish wise so my betta tank dreams will have to wait :P

You could always try one of those little Fluval kits. ;)

I really hate those kits. They totally work, but they're so expensive in the long run that you might as well save for a real regulator with solenoid and decent needle valve and a tank that doesn't require constant changing

I really hate those kits. They totally work, but they're so expensive in the long run that you might as well save for a real regulator with solenoid and decent needle valve and a tank that doesn't require constant changing

yeah this is what I've heard... i'm just gonna wait and get a good set up :)