Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Chelsea's Many Attempts At Fry

That's really my issue. I can't give them away! :o

I have had practice giving fish away... ask Molly! :rofl But I will be keeping one baby only... which means lots of babies to give or sell to friends or others.

Pond is frothing again and Thor won't stop chasing Rapunzel. Looks like I have another batch on the way. At least now I can float bowls in the pond to hold the babies.

:rofl I just spent 20 minutes watching fry figure out bloodworms.

Once they figured out that they had to go at them from the ends, they began to swallow entire worms longer than they were. Sure, some broke off pieces, but some proceeded to swallow whole, adult-sized worms. Some also decided to play tug-of-war with worms. :wub: It was so cute. I'll start feeding them worms daily now for them now that they're the size to eat them.

Also, I put two fry into the pond today, so I am down to 19 1-month-olds. Soon I will have some very little new babies. :heart

Chelsea, I just now read through all of your posts. I enjoyed reading it a lot. Congratulations on your babies. Very cute.

16 fry left. I got home from work and only saw 1 fry in the container. The cheesecloth disintegrated on me and they got out, a few didn't make it back to me before their parents had a snack. I will be trying the filter thing that Jamie mentioned in Kay's thread next. Tonight they spend the night in a bowl.

Aaaaand I just saved one of the babies who got a worm stuck in their mouth and couldn't spit it out. Some are so much smaller than others that they can't always eat the worms.

Aaaaand I just saved one of the babies who got a worm stuck in their mouth and couldn't spit it out. Some are so much smaller than others that they can't always eat the worms.

I had an eight day old fry in the inside tank that found a thin, but 3/4" long pond worm and kept going back to it and biting at it and then would swim away and go back again and try. It was pretty cute, but I don't think she got much of it.

I had an eight day old fry in the inside tank that found a thin, but 3/4" long pond worm and kept going back to it and biting at it and then would swim away and go back again and try. It was pretty cute, but I don't think she got much of it.

My fry all take whole worms in their mouths at one end, then keep slurping them down like noodles. These fish are swallowing whole worms as long as they are. :rofl

So I unplugged my filter today in an attempt to begin the process of moving. It drained too far and by the time I realized it all of my fry were dead. :( What a senseless mistake. :pan

How long were they out, Chelsea? Did you let them sit in water for a bit, just to be sure?

They must have been out for 10 minutes. Yeah, I made sure they were dead first. Not even a gill moved.

I guess I can only hope that yesterday's spawn produced a little something for me to take care of.

Chelsea I am so sorry. :(

So sorry, but I've done the equivalent. It feels terrible.

Yep. It does.

I just have to find a bright side... at least I didn't lose them all in transport up north. That's my bright side.

I'm going to try to get one more spawn (they hatched today, but are all in the pond) before I go up north.

Edited by ChelseaM

I managed to catch a few today when I went out to feed them this morning. I hope to get quite a bit more when I do today's WC. I want to completely clean out the pond today so that next wednesday it will be easier to just empty it. Since I seeded my sponge filter, I can clean up and put away the planter filter and rinse out the media before I dry it and put it away for next year.

Edit: on second thought... since I need to clean out the main bin and dry it I probably will just set up the supported QT bin for them for the week.

Edited by ChelseaM

Look what I found in the filter!!!

c26a65fa48f06547c7ac8c620a2da3b1.jpg

Still finding more.

Oooohhh! Babies! :wub:

Six big ones and numerous little ones. I can tell by their size that they are definitely 100% Tamasaba babies.

I am so happy you found them, Chelsea!