Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Chelsea's Many Attempts At Fry

I think the hardest part is watching the parents eat them. :/

The easiest thing to do is put food at one end of the pond to get all of the adults there and then dump the babies at the other end and leave. You won't see anyone getting eaten.

Have you started looking into rehoming options? Talk to your LFSs to see if they want your extra babies and how big they want them. I was a little puzzled when you were culling double tails, since these are most interesting to the stores.

I decided to cull double-tails since there were so very few. I think I maybe have had 4 of them out of the fry I have.

I planned on rehoming a few through Koko's, but I am not sure if I would like to give any to any LFS because I don't want to just put more poor genetics into the pool. By the time they are old enough to look like little fish I will be up north anyway, and there aren't any LFS up there at all. It's a pet wasteland. (Needless to say I will be using a lot of online ordering with Amazon Prime for anything fish related.)

Edited by ChelseaM

Oh, and there was one cool thing I found today: You can see the yellow color in all of the fry I have that I looked at today. I really like that the yellow color is visible so early.

Wonderful!

Well, the fry got their first super green meal today and were thrilled with it.

Their tank also got filled to 8 inches thanks to last night's rainstorm despite being covered. Tonight when I get home from work I will be doing a big WC and making 50/50 spawn and grow and super green for them.

Edited by ChelseaM

Culled the fry down to something more manageable. All the rest of the little babies are on their own in the big, empty pond.

I have some adorable little babies waiting to grow up.

Pics?

:rofl They aren't much different from the video on the previous page.

Oh... I didnt watch it cause im at work! Ill try to remember when i get home. I dont liek using all my data on my phone!

I have some video today. It might be a little funky because the buggers are so darn fast and difficult to see against the pale background of the fry box, which is made of a planter with a hole in the side and a self-draining bottom. The entire thing is lined with CheeseCloth. I got a couple minutes of video of the parents too. You can see what type of color change a heavy feeding of bloodworms and super green can have on a yellow fish, too. :rofl Rapunzel looks so pale.

Edit: watch the video in HD!

Edited by ChelseaM

Cute little guys.

Thanks, Sharon. They're getting a little more naughty every day.

they're so tiny! :)

they're so tiny! :)

I am amazed at how big they will get from this size. :o That net I had in there was a brine shrimp net! :rofl

very nice video! The cheesecloth is quite clever!

very nice video! The cheesecloth is quite clever!

Thanks Tammy!

Woo way to go! So pretty!

They're growing up! Pretty soon you'll need a 20,000 gallon pond back there! :rofl

:rofl Thank you, Tammy. :heart I wish I could keep them all!!