Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Chelsea's Many Attempts At Fry

You should have shallow water. No more than 3-4" at this age.

Dish pans are nice, too. As long as they are a light color, you can see the fry well. Walmart has nice ones that hold up well.

If you have anything movable in your pond that is covered with algae, you can put that in your fry tub. I found a stone covered with green algae in a plant pot and put that in with some babies I just collected. They were on it like fat guys at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Sharon - I've always heard that shallow water is better for baby fish too...but what happens when a baby fish develops in a deep pond? Or even in a natural pond without a shallow end to it? In nature you would think the babies are in deeper water. Just wondering how they would survive.

You should have shallow water. No more than 3-4" at this age.

Dish pans are nice, too. As long as they are a light color, you can see the fry well. Walmart has nice ones that hold up well.

If you have anything movable in your pond that is covered with algae, you can put that in your fry tub. I found a stone covered with green algae in a plant pot and put that in with some babies I just collected. They were on it like fat guys at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Sharon - I've always heard that shallow water is better for baby fish too...but what happens when a baby fish develops in a deep pond? Or even in a natural pond without a shallow end to it? In nature you would think the babies are in deeper water. Just wondering how they would survive.

It's all about grooming, I think. When you have fancy fish (fancies do not occur in the wild) you want them to really have a good swim bladder, and shallow water aids that. This is just until they develop fully, then you can slowly raise the water depth.

edit:

Just to add... I still have 40 live fry, but I think I had a little more since I found some dead ones. I can already see that some will likely be culled, and some are just absolutely tiny compared to their brothers and sisters.

Edited by ChelseaM

If you have babies in a pond, you can virtually skim them off the top. As soon as they start swimming they hang out at the top, in the floating plant layer if there is one. The best reason for keeping the fry tubs shallow, IMO, is to maximize the surface area to volume ratio. Since there is no reason to make the water deep, I go all out for shallow.

If you have babies in a pond, you can virtually skim them off the top. As soon as they start swimming they hang out at the top, in the floating plant layer if there is one. The best reason for keeping the fry tubs shallow, IMO, is to maximize the surface area to volume ratio. Since there is no reason to make the water deep, I go all out for shallow.

This is how I found a baby this afternoon... in my big pond.

First Culling today. I will be removing fish that aren't developing swim bladders. I have a few of them (probably my fault) and they spend 100% of their time scooting around the bottom since they cannot swim to the surface.

7 fry were poured into the pond today, and 3 were removed from it via coming out of the filter and into the bowls I was filling for today's WC. :rofl I found that there is a healthy little population living in my pond and filter, so I am going to let the fry I am getting rid of just fend for themselves in the pond, where the strongest will survive for me. :) This way I won't have to cull if I don't want to.

You are using something like the concept of the "cull pond." The pond is typically planted and filtered, but the fish live naturally -- no feeding. Culls tossed in the pond have have much the same chance of survival as fry born wild (very small), and only the smart and tough survive. They might not live long, but their lives are very interesting. When somebody wants cheap or free fish, they can be told to help themselves to whatever they catch in the cull pond. There are many stories of finding quality show specimens in such ponds.

congratulations Chelsea :) i hope you get some nice, strong stock :flex:

I love how your fry get a view of their parents!

Thanks, Helen! :)

Sharon, I am kind-of hoping for that to happen. I am now, though, nervous to clean out my filter this next week because there are likely quite a few babies in it... every time I stick a container underneath the outflows I find babies in the water that comes out. :o

Thanks, Susanne! :teehee I keep telling them to aspire to be like those big fish up there. :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

Tell me about it. A few days ago I noticed something tiny was bumping the top of the water in a tub in which I had some water lilies. Yup. You guessed it. I had bought the water lilies on special at Lowes for $2 apiece. I brought them home as I was taking down the kiddie pool I had used for the fish I rehomed. I put the pots in the tub and guess where I got the water to cover the pots? Yes again -- from the pool I was emptying.

The water was filthy and there were lots of tiny babies in there. Of course I had to rescue them. Fortunately, I have found people in the Koi and Pond Club that will take free goldfish, so these will get pond homes as soon as as they are past "snack size."

Sounds like you're gonna have your hands full yet again! This is a new joy for me, keeping fish outdoors and having them really spawn like this.

Several more babies went into the big pond today.

Here is what I did:

• Culled for tails. All double-tails went into the pond. I lost some very beautiful fry, but it was necessary to groom the ones I want.
  • Separated the babies by size and swimming strength so that I could help the smaller/weaker ones along when it comes to getting food, etc. I will likely further cull these based on balance and swim bladders when I get my magnifying glass.

22 fry left. They were terrorized by a baby, then left open all night one night. Oops. 12 big babies and 10 small ones.

Edit: I am slightly worried about their development. They are 2.5 weeks old and don't yet look like little goldfish... still like fry. Some even look like they're still in their first week. Is it normal for them to develop slower outdoors?

Edited by ChelseaM

That's fine. I have a tub of fry a week or so older, and they don't look like much yet.

I don't think you've said who the parents/suspected parents of these fry are.

I think it was my (now molly's) oranda Momo and my Tamasaba Valentino, but now I am not sure since there were VERY few double-tails.

If it was Freyja, my female Tamasaba, I would be really excited. Either way if I get some fish without an expression of the wen gene I will be happy, since I could still use them for breeding for red and whites.

How fun. Best of luck to the little storm babies.

Have you posted pictures of your tamasabas? I don't recall seeing them, and would like to.

They're the yellow ones from RainGarden. :)

Here's a video of the three of them:

I have seen the beginnings of humps on them in the past week or two. Since they are only about a year or so old, I think there's potential there.

Oh, duh. I've seen and admired those.

Thank you. :) I really enjoy their antics.

And thank you, MysteryGirl. :)

13 babies left. I am done culling until I see them mature more.

Today I dumped all of the babies that I deemed "too small" or "not growing" into the pond. That was all but 2 of the ones in the small baby bowl. I think that in a week I will graduate everyone to the 20 gallon long, filled half-way. Today I am finally giving them the Spawn and Grow as gel, rather than as the powder I would sprinkle in at first.

How cool is this? I'd be really interested to see photos after they get into the 20 gal if you take any, the forum is the only place I've really seen fry and they're all so different!

Well more babies are in the 20 with the young ones. 4th of july hatch, likely.

Why do we not have any pics, Chelsea? :bat:

:rofl3