Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Chelsea's Many Attempts At Fry

156 posts in this topic

Umm. The babies multiplied. I have 18 or so now.

:rofl3 I was hoping/thinking that might happen!

:hmm did you keep the plants in there? or... what? :rofl

Yes. Yes I did. :rofl

Ah. well then!

Would have been very odd if you had plucked the eggs, and then tossed the plant back into the pond. :rofl

I had two roots in the bucket. But I did pluck a ton of eggs to put into the bucket and threw the plant back into the pond. I guess the eggs I plucked took extra hatch time.

Official count: 40 fry in my bucket.

I think there may have been more, but I got tired of finding them and pulling them out. I think 40 is a good, round number to start with in my first batch. 40 is a lot more than 18, anyway.

Congrats! 40!! What fun :) Looking forward to pictures.

The fry just tried Repashy Spawn and Grow powder for the first time today. They immediately went at it and ate it up just fine. I think that I am going to like this alternative to BBS hatching, especially because this stuff is easier to portion out. :) Since they have a ton of pond microbes to eat regardless, I hope to be able to feed them only once per day with the powder, and keep rotating pond plants between the bucket and the pond to keep a fresh supply of microbes and algae in there.

edit: I made sure their yolk sacs were gone first, so that they were actually eating. :peeka

Edited by ChelseaM

Hi Chelsea. Wow, looks like you got a lot of fish hahaha! If you get any yellow ones that you want to get rid of let me know! My yellow Koi is my favorite fish because it is so visible in the pond. I would love to have a yellow fish for my 125 and maybe more in the pond. By the way I cut my 125 down to 7 fish :) 5 are pretty small :)

I will be sure to let you know, Jason. I really am hoping to at least get a few yellows, since the males that spawned this time around were all yellow.

I really love the yellows, too. They're visible even in murky water.

And remember to give us updated pictures!

I will be sure to let you know, Jason. I really am hoping to at least get a few yellows, since the males that spawned this time around were all yellow.

I would expect to pay a fair price for all your hard work :)

Don't expect to have to pay much if any. They're my first spawn and I haven't perfected grooming yet. ;)

Don't expect to have to pay much if any. They're my first spawn and I haven't perfected grooming yet. ;)

That makes two of us. One piece of advice... You probably know this but some fry will grow faster than others. The big ones will eat the small ones. If you dont want that to happen, seperate....

That makes two of us. One piece of advice... You probably know this but some fry will grow faster than others. The big ones will eat the small ones. If you dont want that to happen, seperate....
I am aware, but likely will let it happen after I separate single tailed fish from doubles. I am not sure how many doubles I will keep, if any.

You know, I've never had that happen with fry I have been monitoring. I count them when I transfer them to a new tub, and no fry disappear even when there is a wide size range. I wonder if it has something to do with culture conditions.

Several report it when raising in tanks, which makes me wonder if food is an issue. It is difficult to feed everyone enough in an indoor environment when there are no bugs and algae to nosh on. I think raising babies outdoors may be a factor.

Let me tell you how I raise tiny fry -- not as advice, but simply as a contrast with what many others do. I put the recently- hatched fry in tubs that hold about 2 1/2 gallons that I got at the dollar store. Each group of babies has two tubs, and I move them to fresh water every second day. Their tub is topped with lots of duckweed and whatever floating plants I have.

IMG_0802.jpg

Here's a close-up:

IMG_0803.jpg

I don't feed them for the first two weeks. The duckweed and other plants have lots of rotifers and other tiny animals and protozoa that are the natural food of fry, and since I don't scrub but just rinse the tubs they get a biofilm that contains baby food. I move the duckweed and plants when I move the fish. The first thing the babies learn is how to find their own food. After two weeks I start feeding them a little of the "dust" that you find in the bottom of a container of pellets. They really appreciate the "fast food" after having to work for their meals.

About 90% of the fry survive to feeder size. The ones that die usually have crooked backs or some other deformity.

Congrats on the fry! That's awesome!

Thanks, Jess!

I am pretty much doing your method with my fry, Sharon, since I have heard you talk about that before and basically need to raise my fry outdoors right now. Right now they are in a 5g bucket, but will be getting proper tubs today from the dollar store when I go since a 5g bucket is so difficult to catch them in due to depth. They're getting some 'fast food' more often, though, since I don't have duckweed to add for them right now, but they do have water lettuces rotating in from the pond each water change.

You should have shallow water. No more than 3-4" at this age.

Dish pans are nice, too. As long as they are a light color, you can see the fry well. Walmart has nice ones that hold up well.

If you have anything movable in your pond that is covered with algae, you can put that in your fry tub. I found a stone covered with green algae in a plant pot and put that in with some babies I just collected. They were on it like fat guys at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

My pond is only good for growing brown algae, but I think maybe you've given me an idea: Marimo balls might work.

They seem to be doing perfectly fine at this stage even in the deep water, but I don't want anyone developing funkily. All I had was the bucket at the moment I got a hold of the eggs. The dollar store is on my list of places to shop this afternoon, so I will likely find something there tub-wise to house them in.

Throw in some sort of green tree leaf with the marimos (make sure there are no whole pieces as the sun/heat will just kill them) as well, algae galore. :happydance

Unfortunately my marimos died... found out someone stuck their jar in the sun. So I guess I am continuing my lettuce...

I bought these at the dollar store:

re9ytebu.jpg

20 fry in 2 bowls with WCs every 2 days seems like a plan. Lettuce is in one and roots with a little hair algae are in the other.

And when it rains....

2abuhugu.jpg

Fry pods.