Kokos Goldfish Forum
ghoti

Losing scales?

First, if this is in the wrong subforum, could a mod move it the the right place? I didn't really know where else to ask it.

I've noticed my fish losing scales and I was wondering what causes goldfish to lose scales. Apparently it isn't uncommon (unless I read that wrong), but I'm kinda worried because its like patches of them missing. The patches aren't large, so maybe its a few scales in the general area. I suspect it might be the fake plants or maybe even the tank glass because its pretty scratched up from the inside and they tend to swim by that glass(?)

Sadly, I don't have a test kit so if I need to give the readings I won't be able to.

And, how long does it usually take for scales to grow back?

Thanks in advance

-ghoti

Can you please post some pics and fill out as much as the form as you can, even if you don't have a test kit just fill in the rest. :D

I'll try to post some more photos of the other fish. Mean On my blog the second photo looked like there were missing scales (according to tithra) and that simlar thing started to appear on my other fish (except the big one). That fish in the photo got a bit more now though, so I'm beginning to think it might be the fake plants since she likes to go behind them a lot... And as for the form:

1. Ammonia (tap): 1 ppm (according to LFS)
  2. Nitrite (tank/tap): n/a
  3. Nitrate (tank/tap): n/a
  4. pH (tank/tap): n/a
  5. kH (tank/tap): n/a
  6. gH (tank/tap): n/a

I'll try to update the form once I find the other info about my city's tap water. Unfortunately I only know of my city's ammonia reading because my LFS told me last time I went there. Pictures will also be posted, but the camera doesn't always capture the "blank areas", so I'll keep trying.

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

When you say they are missing in patches, it leads me to believe they may have gotten scraped by something, too. When you post pictures of your fish, can you tack on a picture of your full tank setup, as well? I'm interested to see what fake plants you have, and if they may be the culprit.

Are you seeing any redness or irritation in the affected areas?

Have you seen any spawning behavior? Mine have lost scales from that.

When you say they are missing in patches, it leads me to believe they may have gotten scraped by something, too. When you post pictures of your fish, can you tack on a picture of your full tank setup, as well? I'm interested to see what fake plants you have, and if they may be the culprit.

Are you seeing any redness or irritation in the affected areas?

Nop, no irritation whatsoever.

Have you seen any spawning behavior? Mine have lost scales from that.

Somewhat. It isn't constant or frequent, there are just time i see them chasing or headbutting one another on their sides, but not too hard.

here are the photos, and I guess my eyes deceived me, because the other fish didn't really have any scaleless patches. It was mostly the horizontally striped one and a few from the all white. took out the some of the fake plants, but here they were before

4f724194-4b87-4bfb-aedd-97dfc0872abb_zps

cc4f5167-79ee-4058-a03f-993045f20e5f_zps

now the fish: i kept them large so it'd be easier to see the patches:

IMG_4403_zpseb384bf7.jpg

IMG_4362_zps952a8de3.jpga973b19d-84f6-4a2e-ba07-4cf866db5307_zps

Awww, your fish are so cute. :heart

The missing scales look fine. My fish have lost several scales and they are doing absolutely fine. It's more of an aesthetic flaw to the fish keeper than anything. The plants look OK to me; the delicate, lacy-leaved ones look safer than the other one-- but it's better safe than sorry, if you feel it's causing your fish to lose scales than it won't hurt removing them. If you really don't want to remove them, then you can shift them slightly more towards the center, so the fish don't wedge themselves in the corner.

Yeah, I actually removed the plant earlier because I figured it might be that causing it, just as a precaution.

And thanks:) my friend had a hard time parting with some of them because they were so cute, haha.

Is it possible they got between the filter intake and the back of the tank? :idont