Kokos Goldfish Forum
Remdant

*sigh* Castor has gone off and torn another fin....

I added a water bottle baffle to my filter this morning to entice Castor to swim about her tank more and she's already gone and torn another fin. The one that was torn when I bought her is still healing (it's been kinda long now). Should I add some Melafix to the water to help her heal? It says it's for torn fins.

I don't think that the Melafix is necessary. Just clean water is enough in most cases. :)

I agree. Unless it's infected, all you should need is clean water :)

For future reference, one of the forum rules is that you can not link to other forums.

Edited by Mikey

Would you mind providing info on water parameters etc? And if you'd like to post a pic as well :)

But like Chelsea said, the vast majority of the time all that's needed to heal a torn fin is clean water and time :)

She was damaged by a bichir in a net that escaped and it's white and she has started not moving much at the top of the tank. 6EE73E4D-EEF5-43DA-B46D-6E28D1F610A9_zps

Hope she feels better.

I'm testing water now.

Ammonia .25ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0-5ppm (wasn't 0 but not quite 5)

I double-dosed prime to take care of the ammonia until I do a 100% WC tomorrow. I'd do it today but I want to scrape the algae off and I need my husband to take the tank outside.

I would think that she is extremely stressed by the attack and it is causing her to sit near the top and 'hide' to recover. Is she moving much now?

It sounds like you are doing what you can.

Yes, goldfish will often hover at the top, especially near the filter outlet, to get relief when injured. The water movement probably feels really good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

She's still being very still. This happened yesterday afternoon. Why did the torn part of her tail turn color?

I'm actually happy she chose the top rather than the bottom. It's a relief to finally see her.

Slime coat will gather at injured areas, turning the tail white.

Do you have lighting on the tank? If so, try turning it off and letting her relax in darkness.

I have a floor lamp positioned at the side of the tank. I'll turn it out. She's swimming a bit more now.

I'd like to have a video of the tank and fish if you would, please. :)