Kokos Goldfish Forum
Kate89

Super long white poo, am I worrying about nothing?

Hi guys,

So as some of you know I got two new fish a couple of weeks ago, an oranda and a ranchu. They were in a qt tub for just over a week at 0.3% salt. Whilst they were in there I noticed some white poo and one SUPER long white and grey and orange poo. Here it is:

image_zpse44681fa.jpg

image_zps9a7c18bb.jpg

image_zpsd3ddee62.jpg

image_zpsd3d4523c.jpg
image_zps04af4c6c.jpg

A few days ago I put them in the main tank to do their worming treatment in there, as it was empty anyway so I wasn't endangering other fish, and the qt was uncycled so couldn't really have done Kusuri and left them for 4 days without a water change.

Anyway they were super happy to be in the big tank with all that swimming space :) I started Kusuri treatment the next day and also started a course of Melafix, rather than salt, and they have been fine.

However I continued to see white poo and the other day I saw another super long poo, all white:

7EAB31C1-09A1-4F78-BA77-340314C0C409_zps

6A00276F-00C8-4012-B6D9-DD9C5ACF1F90_zps

I initially thought it was the oranda doing these crazy poos, but I now think it's the ranchu. I've seen the oranda doing normal colour poos, and today I've been watching them and have seen the ranchu doing white ones:

F557BBD1-29B9-4935-AA9D-3E7650585CCC_zps

I have been feeding Tetra 'Gold' sinking pellets while I've been waiting for my Repashy order, so for the past couple of weeks they've been having those and a few peas here and there. Today my order came so I've just fed them some Reapashy Soilent Green and they loved it (although they would probably love anything remotely edible :teehee).

Both fish are super active and eating well - the oranda is a breeding male (lots of breeding stars), so he is probably a bit more active than the ranchu. He does chase the ranchu a little bit, but the ranchu knows how to stand his/her ground so I don't think its going to be a problem!

I put this giant white poo problem this down to stress and poor diet, and many of you agreed, and I'm hoping that's true, I just wanted to start a D&D thread to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I am concerned that it could be something more sinister and I could be dealing with an internal bacterial infection.

I don't want to lose another fish so soon, so all of your expertise and advice is always appreciated.

Here's the form, I've filled it out for the main tank, which they're in now:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Don't know, will test later
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test Kit (drops)
      • * Water temperature? 25-26 degrees celsius at the moment. Warmer than I would like it but its quite hot here at the moment (yes, England does have nice weather sometimes :I-Thank-You: )
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 220l/60 US gallons. Running since February.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval FX6. Circulates and filters 3500 liters (925 US gallons) of water an hour
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% once a week.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 100% wc before I took them out of qt and put them in the main tank, so that was on Tuesday, so about 4 days ago
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stresscoat (dechlorinator + aloe vera)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Was feeding Tetra 'Gold' Goldfish Sinking Pellets and peas. But just started feeding Repashy soilent green today.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Err yes, these two
  • * Any medications added to the tank? They were at 0.3% salt for just over a week in qt. Dosed Kusuri in main tank on Thursday, and have been dosing melafix each evening since.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. As above.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just white poo and super long poo, as described above.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, really active and eating well

It's been noted that the kind of poop you see - long (or not so long) stringy poop can usually be seen in tanks with sand as substrate. :)

Let's try to do a little experiment...will you feed your fish shelled peas for two days (don't overfeed, please) and see if the poop will come out green? It takes about 18 hours for the food to move from one end to the other.

Thanks Alex, good idea :)

They've already been fed repashy today so I'll start the pea 'experiment' tomorrow.

How much is too much? I'm not sure with peas, I usually give them one each cut up, is that too much?

They're both about 3.5'' in length (not including tail), I haven't weighed them yet.

How about 2-3 peas at one time, twice a day? That should be OK. :)

I can never tell with peas either lol

Perfect, that's around what I've given in the past anyway.

And by the way, we were at the shop were I got the ranchu from today, and I noticed that all the fish in the tank the ranchu was from have white poo, which concerns me.

This evening it looks like there's black stuff inside the poo, I'm wondering if it's tahitian moon sand?! There's bubbles in it too.

Sorry for the rubbish pic of him doing the poo, he's just too wiggly, but I think you can see the poo in the second pic...

73D0E959-673F-4AC5-A5F0-9672FBB9E189_zps

C4282122-075B-4C4F-8A9E-929F55357CA8_zps

That might actually be a promising sign, Kate. The fish might indeed be processing the sand and getting whatever yuck was in their system out.

There will always be a little bit of sand in the poop, so that is good. It's when the sand weighs him down (which can be happen is some cases) that we should be concerned.

That might actually be a promising sign, Kate. The fish might indeed be processing the sand and getting whatever yuck was in their system out.

Ah I hope so, I do hope this isn't anything too serious. Fins crossed!

There will always be a little bit of sand in the poop, so that is good. It's when the sand weighs him down (which can be happen is some cases) that we should be concerned.

Fortunately he is quite active at the moment Alex, he's able to swim the full depth of the tank (and my tank is deep, 24'') and zooms around with the oranda at feeding time. I'll keep an eye out for any unusual behaviour though.

I just got excited because he started doing a normal colour poo, but it's got blood in it. That can't be good can it.

I just got excited because he started doing a normal colour poo, but it's got blood in it. That can't be good can it.

If it's blood, then possibly not good. What exactly was the color? Bright red, rust red? If you could give a bit more description, that would be great!

Bright red, like fresh blood, in his poo. I tried to fish it out and put it on some paper to take a pic, but it just sort of disintegrated so there wasn't much to see. There was definitely sand in it though.

What do you recommend I do, I don't want to hang around now I've seen the blood, shall I put h in qt in the morning?

You are sure that there hasn't been any food that color? Do you have Metro-meds? And yes, QT is a very good idea.

You are sure that there hasn't been any food that color? Do you have Metro-meds? And yes, QT is a very good idea.

No, the pellets are orange. The poo was orange, which is why I was initially relieved at the sight of 'normal' colour poo, but then I saw a bright red streak running through it.

I do have metro-meds that I got for Mario, but Mario was smaller than this ranchu so I don't think I'll have enough for a full 2 week course for him. I suppose I can start the course and try to source some more?

What is the dose Alex? I've got enough for a 29g fish for 2 weeks. I'll weigh the ranchu in the morning.

He's just done some green poo, same colour as the repashy, so I suppose that's positive although I only fed that for the first time this morning.

Oh when did my Saturday nights become goldfish poo analysing sessions...

Let's check on poop again in the morning before we start MMs. :)

That sand poo looks just like my ranchu, Waddles, poo. :teehee

Saturday night and GF poo talk. It doesn't get any better . . . . :lol

He's just done some green poo, same colour as the repashy, so I suppose that's positive although I only fed that for the first time this morning.

try acquiring a microscope and then finding that they don't poop fast enough so that you can examine it :rofl :rofl

Let's check on poop again in the morning before we start MMs. :)

Yes that seems sensible. I got up this morning to find another long white poo. Both fish are still happy and active. I'll start feeding peas today and see what happens. Could this just be something that is 'normal' for him? Or do you think it might be something more sinister? The red in his poo last night did concern me, but I'll just keep an eye on it rather than jumping to conclusions.

That sand poo looks just like my ranchu, Waddles, poo. :teehee

Saturday night and GF poo talk. It doesn't get any better . . . . :lol

These fish have changed me! I'm like some sort of crazy fish lady now! :krazy:

try acquiring a microscope and then finding that they don't poop fast enough so that you can examine it :rofl :rofl

:teehee Thankfully I've not quite reached that stage yet Helen!

I've just fed two shelled peas, and the ranchu thinks that hoovering them up then spitting them out then catching them again and spitting them out is what you're supposed to do with peas :doh11: . He's like where's the real food?! :feedme

The oranda on the other hand eats his greens properly like a good boy :P

are they soft enough, hun? soft enough to squish them out of shape between two fingers? some fish like super soft foods.

Ah maybe they weren't, I've just made some softer ones and I think he ate some :)

Ah maybe they weren't, I've just made some softer ones and I think he ate some :)

oh! that little wiggle butt drama queen! :wub:

:rofl

So I've not noticed any green poo, just more white poos and a super long white one. Although I have to admit I'm doing insane night shifts this week so haven't been observing them as closely.

When I have been observing them I do think that the ranchu is becoming less active - I wouldn't say that he is bottom sitting but he just kind of hovers near the bottom and doesn't mooch around as much with the oranda. I started feeding repashy again yesterday, and he just doesn't seem as enthusiastic at feeding time, he is eating but not as much as when I first got him.

I am worried there's something going on with him. I really can't qt and medicate this week as I'm doing 14 hour night shifts and really can't be doing daily wcs (or I could, but then I would probably need quarantining and medicating too).

As of Sunday when I'm back to more reasonable hours how do you recommend I proceed? Is it time to treat him with something?

Let us know when your schedule is amenable, and then we can review things at that time. Is that OK?

Hang in there!

Let us know when your schedule is amenable, and then we can review things at that time. Is that OK?

Hang in there!

Sure :) That will be Sunday. Will give an update then!