Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ElaineSelene

Using Seachem Safe - how much to use?

Hi there!

Anyone out there use Seachem "Safe"?

I bought it because I use soo much prime this is cheaper... I don't understand the instructions however... how much do I add to my tank???

This is what the instructions ONLINE say: (they updated them)

Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 130 L (35 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm)..
Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 100 L (25 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 32 L (8 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

1 measure = 100 mg.

I don't get it... I want to use it when I do water changes... I have a 55 gallon, 35 gallon, 29 gallon, and 20 gallon I'll be using it in... but it gives instructions for three different purposes? What should I use?
Can someone tell me what to use for 50 gallons of tap water?

Thank you very much!

Hi there!

I bought it because I use soo much prime this is cheaper... I don't understand the instructions however... how much do I add to my tank???

Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 130 L (35 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm)..

Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 100 L (25 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 32 L (8 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

1 measure = 100 mg.

I don't get it... I want to use it when I do water changes... I have a 55 gallon, 35 gallon, 29 gallon, and 20 gallon I'll be using it in... but it gives instructions for three different purposes? What should I use?

Thank you very much!

I can help, but first we will need to know your tap parameters: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine, and chloramine.

Thanks

Hi there!

1 measure = 100 mg.

Thank you very much!

I can help, but first we will need to know your tap parameters: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine, and chloramine.

Thanks

Ok, I'll check it and get back to you in a few minutes... Thanks!

Hi there!

1 measure = 100 mg.

Thank you very much!

Thanks

Ok, I'll check it and get back to you in a few minutes... Thanks!

Ok. I only have the general freshwater test kit... :( BUT I looked up the water report for my town... I hope that can help...

What I found:

Ammonia: 0

PH: 7.6

High range PH: 7.4

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

What the water report for the town says:

Chlorine: 0.7 - 1.1984 ppm

Nitrate: 0 - 0.232 ppm

I don't have any idea for chloramine sadly. :(

Thanks in advance! :)

Please call the water utility to confirm that they don't use chloramine. This is important, and will affect how much we add to the water. :)

Please call the water utility to confirm that they don't use chloramine. This is important, and will affect how much we add to the water. :)

I'll have to get back to you, they arn't picking up. Maybe its too late today. I'll try tomorrow!

Yes, please check, but for now let us assume that since your water is chlorinated, the city would not also add chloramine. With that in mind,

1 measure = 100 mg.

The maximum about of chlorine in your tap water appears to be 1.2ppm. So, if we use enough Safe to neutralize 2ppm of chlorine, we are good to go. This means that you want to use 1 MEASURE FOR EVERY 12.5 GALLONS

I have a 55 gallon,

4.5 measures

35 gallon,

3 measures

29 gallon, and

2.5 measures

20 gallon I'll be using it in

2 measures

4 measures

Thank you very much!

These numbers are for regular water changes, and does not incorporate emergency ammonia/nitrite detoxification. So, if you ever need that, then we will have to add more, but that should not happen, if your cycle is running steady. :)

Yes, please check, but for now let us assume that since your water is chlorinated, the city would not also add chloramine. With that in mind,

1 measure = 100 mg.

The maximum about of chlorine in your tap water appears to be 1.2ppm. So, if we use enough Safe to neutralize 2ppm of chlorine, we are good to go. This means that you want to use 1 MEASURE FOR EVERY 12.5 GALLONS

I have a 55 gallon,

4.5 measures

35 gallon,

3 measures

29 gallon, and

2.5 measures

2 measures

4 measures

Thank you very much!

These numbers are for regular water changes, and does not incorporate emergency ammonia/nitrite detoxification. So, if you ever need that, then we will have to add more, but that should not happen, if your cycle is running steady. :)

Alex, Do you use Safe or Prime? I know that Safe is the powdered form of Prime, but just wondering if you go through the process of preparing it every time.

1 measure = 100 mg.

I have a 55 gallon,

4.5 measures

35 gallon,

3 measures

29 gallon, and

2.5 measures

2 measures

4 measures

Thank you very much!

Alex, Do you use Safe or Prime? I know that Safe is the powdered form of Prime, but just wondering if you go through the process of preparing it every time.

Hi Lisa,

I am currently still on my 1 gallon of Seachem Prime (and will be for another 3 months or so), so I have not started using Safe on a regular basis, although I do have 1 kg of it! :rofl

My understanding is that Safe is essentially Prime, minus the stabilizer, which allows for Prime to have basically an indefinite shelf life. So, Safe cannot be diluted and stored.

I will soon be following up with Seachem to see if it can be diluted and stored for any length of time. I will update you once I have an answer. :)

Follow the online directions for Safe. They are the correct dosages. They changed the information, but there are still packages with the old directions out there.

You cannot make up a batch for later use, there are no stabilizers in it. It is meant for immediate use only. Hope this helps.