Kokos Goldfish Forum

What different plants can grow without substrate? I know java fern, anubias, and any flooting plants, but are there other rhizome(sp?) based plants, or simply other plants, that can grow without substrate, glued to a rock?

I want to add some variety to my tank, but I don't know what plants are suitable to add. Any help is appreciated!

MOSS BALLS!! Cat's specialty.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Java moss can be tied to rocks using fishing line or thread. It's a very fast grower and is very hardy. :D

MossErect041.jpg

Moss balls are great, too, as Daniel already mentioned. If I had the money I would hoard dozens of those things. :rofl

Water Sprite, Elodea, pennywort and hornwort can be grown just attached to weights in the aquarium. This is because they can also be grown floating. Java ferns and anubias come in so many different varieties that you could have an awesome tank with just varieties of those.

Most mosses can be grown without substrate as well. My favorite is the one Georgia mentioned. :) Oh, and Daniel's mention of Marimo is spot on, too. They're all great.

Good question! I've settled on anubias. There are number of types available, my goldfish don't eat them but they like to play and forage through them, and when the leaves get too much algae on them they are easy to clean because the leaves are pretty tough. I just posted a video in the video forum with my fish in the anubias jungle. It is a young jungle :) that will fill out in the months to come.

I love Marimo moss balls, but one of my orandas (Jack) likes to tear them apart and then he mopes in the corner with digestion issues (his poops come out a very hairy green). I've moved the Marimo moss to my shrimp tank.

You're getting some great answers so far!

If you really had your heart set on a certain plant, like a sword, which will not do well without a substrate, there's also the option of a small pot. :) Have fun with your plants, and experiment. Some of my favorites are anubias, water wisteria, water sprite, and java fern! :)

most stem plants will do fine without substrate. And there are a lot to choose from. The tricky thing though is that, unlike an anubias or java fern, they are single stems and can therefore be a little tricky in a barebottom aquarium. You can float them, or use a weight to keep them at the bottom. They will live without substrate but aren't necessarily ideal for it just because of the fact that they are stems.

African water fern - bolbitis heudelotii (but it's a bit more difficult than the plants listed above).

Bucephalandra (often just called "Buce") Grows like Anubias, but slower, smaller and much more expensive. There are many different species to choose from.

Edited by Acro

Hygrophila pinnatifida is another anubias like plant that can be attached to stuff. Will stay brown/red under high light.

Hygrophila pinnatifida is another anubias like plant that can be attached to stuff. Will stay brown/red under high light.

Can it be glued to rocks or wood? Or is tying down preferred?

Either or. I'm partial to tying rock/wood plants, only because you can remove the line once the plant has rooted. :)

Thought I would put these two links here since nobody has talked about them yet.... best alternative to substrate that I have ever found.

Need this in my life. :krazy:

Thought I would put these two links here since nobody has talked about them yet.... best alternative to substrate that I have ever found.

How could I forget about Riparium Supply! I've got many things from there. Always a good experience.

And shoot, you can always rock a riparium! I use these planters in one of my goldfish tanks. http://ripariumsupply.com/products-page/hanging-planters/small-hanging-planter-3-pack/

Here are some photos (not mine) of what you can do with them:

4-i-11-tank-i-s.jpg

27-IX-10-tank-I-b.jpg

Edited by Acro

Wow, a lot of posts since I last looked! Thanlk you so much for the suggestions! I am especially grateful for the riparium links- I have been trying to figure out how to plant bamboo so it doesn't drown, and now I know! Thank you so much guys!

Wow, a lot of posts since I last looked! Thanlk you so much for the suggestions! I am especially grateful for the riparium links- I have been trying to figure out how to plant bamboo so it doesn't drown, and now I know! Thank you so much guys!

For lucky bamboo, you can also purchase a shower basket. It's cheaper. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Suction-Shower-Basket-Clear/dp/B000KKN0TS/ref=pd_sim_hg_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=17SDBVY31MPX8SSQHA2C

For lucky bamboo, you can also purchase a shower basket. It's cheaper. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Suction-Shower-Basket-Clear/dp/B000KKN0TS/ref=pd_sim_hg_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=17SDBVY31MPX8SSQHA2C

Thank you LisaC!

How could I forget about Riparium Supply! I've got many things from there. Always a good experience.

And shoot, you can always rock a riparium! I use these planters in one of my goldfish tanks. http://ripariumsupply.com/products-page/hanging-planters/small-hanging-planter-3-pack/

4-i-11-tank-i-s.jpg

27-IX-10-tank-I-b.jpg

This looks totally awesome. My only concern about having an open-topped aquarium would be jumping fish. Although, chicken wire could help prevent this ... hmm.

4-i-11-tank-i-s.jpg

27-IX-10-tank-I-b.jpg

This looks totally awesome. My only concern about having an open-topped aquarium would be jumping fish. Although, chicken wire could help prevent this ... hmm.

Goldfish shouldn't jump if your water quality is good.

I keep my tank open topped. Goldfish generally are not random jumpers, that's not to say it can't happen, but more often than not when it does it is a single tail (they tend to be able to get a little more traction than our rounder bodied fancies) and is related to poor water quality.

4-i-11-tank-i-s.jpg

27-IX-10-tank-I-b.jpg

Goldfish shouldn't jump if your water quality is good.
True ... I've never seen mine jump before, except during spawning. I would be more fearful for snails that might try to crawl out and for other fish breeds that do jump. If it's a goldfish-only tank, I don't see an issue based on normal goldfish behavior.

Many aquarium tops (big and small, plastic and glass) have an open area in the back that's meant for HOB filters. If you use a canister filter, there is plenty of room for riparium plants to grow, and little fear of fish jumping.

Plastic:

aquariumlids.jpg

926d5214.jpg

Glass (just pull out the clear plastic strip in the back):

photo.jpg

16853d1343184619t-tank-canopy-upload.jpg

4-i-11-tank-i-s.jpg

27-IX-10-tank-I-b.jpg

I'd love to have my tank look like this!

What did you decide to go with Morgan'sMiracles?

Check these out chricela . . . a few more ideas . . .

I like how there is only one plant in the substrate, the rest are riparium plants, floaters and moss on a rock. riparium-5_21.jpg

Notice the riparium plants and the moss on wood.

IMG_0173-vi.jpg

And the cool thing with ripariums, is that you can grow plants that . . .

Flower!

DSCF8769.jpg

d_zps0a066b17.jpg

2-iii-09-tank-i-s1.jpg

13-iii-09-tank-i-s.jpg

4-II-13-tank-I-m.jpg

Edited by Acro

Arco, those pictures of planted tanks are very cool! They give me ideas for the next iteration of my shrimp tank. Thank you!