Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Kate89

Kusuri Wormer Plus Advice

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience using Kusuri Wormer Plus with fancies?

I've got two new fish, a ranchu and an oranda, which have been in a qt tank at 0.3% salt for a week. I moved them into my main tank (which has no other fish in it and is fully cycled) last night, and I plan to start treating with Kusuri this evening.

I just have a few questions:

1. Shall I salt to 0.1% like you do with Prazi?

2. If I do use salt in my main tank, will it adversely affect my cycle/biofilter?

3. Can I use melafix with the Kusuri rather than salt?

Many thanks for your advice as always guys :)

I have successfully treated with Kusuri in a tank at .3% and safely used Melafix at the same time

Excellent :) thanks for your advice Phoebie.

Do you know if salt affects your biofilter at all? I can't seem to find any info on whether salt causes a cycle bump. I've only ever used it in uncycled qt so feel a bit hesitant about using it in my main tank.

I've never heard of salt killing beneficial bacteria, so I imagine your cycle will be fine whilst using salt :) no doubt someone will correct me if I'm incorrect though

Edited by Lis.

As the top posters above indicated, Kusuri Wormer Plus is quite safe, and can be used for all goldfish (fry included) in conjunction with salt, at concentrations 0.1% - 0.3%.

In many ways, I prefer this to praziquantel, as it might actually be even gentler. :)

Does anyone have any experience using Kusuri Wormer Plus with fancies?

I've got two new fish, a ranchu and an oranda, which have been in a qt tank at 0.3% salt for a week. I moved them into my main tank (which has no other fish in it and is fully cycled) last night, and I plan to start treating with Kusuri this evening.

I just have a few questions:
1. Shall I salt to 0.1% like you do with Prazi?

I would recommend using 0.3%, if possible. :)

2. If I do use salt in my main tank, will it adversely affect my cycle/biofilter?

It should not, as long as you maintain the salt at 0.3% or less. Higher levels of salt may harm the biofilter, but we don't use levels that high, except in very rare cases.

3. Can I use melafix with the Kusuri rather than salt?

You could. Melafix itself also has anti-flukes effects. You will want to make sure that the tank is very well aerated, but that's about it.

Many thanks for your advice as always guys :)

Thanks Alex :)

I added the wormer and Melafix before you replied, so its good to hear it's ok to use it rather than salt. I'm mainly using Melafix over salt because I have a big bottle of it and only a little bit of salt left, and it smells nice :teehee

The fishies are loving the big tank - although I've just seen another massively long white poo this morning. I'll post a pic to my quarantine thread. I'm wondering if it's the peas now, I fed peas last night and I think I may have done when I saw the last long poo as well. It just concerns me that it's white though...

And I'm pretty sure it's the oranda - I've seen the ranchu do normal size and colour poos.