Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sonne242

"dead" corner

I normally use LITER and CM, but I will try writting in US gallon and inches....
My setup
66 gallon (250L) 39 x 20 x 20 inches
Tetratec ex1200 external filter canister that runs 317 G/H with a 3 gallon filter volume canister.
Eheim streamON+2000 streaming pump 528 G/H
Bubble wall
Intake is in the back corner. The basket is 3 inches from the bottom.
outflow spraybar are submerged in same corner along the 20 inches side, turned up to get surface filtration.
The Streaming pump is placed on the opposite 20 inches side at the bottom, near back corner, pointing down at the bottom.
Bubble wall is centeret in the middle of the tank.
But I still have a "dead poo" corner under the intake and the outflow.
If I possition of the streaming pump near front corner it just move the "dead poo" corner to the bag of the tank.
Hope you understand the description of the equipment location.
Not sure what I should do...
Could anyone help ?

could you post a pic? that might be helpful :D

What is the streaming pump? I agree, a picture would help. Have you read the previous 'poo corner' post? :)

Probably the placement of that power head (streaming pump). The poo corner is a dead spot or terminus of multiple currents. I have a poo corner in my qt tank but since I do water changes daily when it's occupied I don't bother to remedy it.

First time posting picture, hope it works....

2014-06-08162943_zps02ec2cf0.jpg

Yes of course it is called a power head (stupid me :madrant ) thanks #4 marka83

did something wrong in photobucket, one more try.

2014-06-08162943_zps20cb0110.jpg

I'm rubbish at tech but just wanted to say that your tank is beautiful!

#7 thank you motherredcap how nice of you :I-Thank-You:

Are you using the pump simply for water flow/movement?

Personally, I would recommend a second filter with the intake on the opposite end so that you have one on each side. Although it's technically possible to get enough gph with one filter, I would always go with two smaller filters over one big one in a larger tank because it helps with getting all that stray waste.

Since your canister only runs about half the tank volume I would go ahead and add a second filter if you're able :)

You can also use a turkey baster for spot cleaning between water changes

And your tank is lovely btw!

#7:
Thank you so much :)
My intentions with the powerhead was to move debris to the filter intake, but it seems not to work.
Perhaps I should to get an extra filter.
I have looked at the "aquaclear 70" but I am not sure if it could fit on my tank, as it has a frame about 1,3 inches. (It's an old akvastabil tank, if you know this)
(see picture)

2014-06-09131607_zpsfa7fc7f2.jpg

Hmmm I'll take a look at my ac 70 when I get home today (if someone else doesn't do it before then), I think that would be a great filter for your tank, plus you can get extensions for the Acs if you need since it looks like your tank is pretty deep

Sonne, you probably have better availability that I do, but I couldn't find a source for aquaclears. I bought the large Eheim Liberty from a German nettbutikk.

I have an old 144 litre akvastabil with the same rim. The filter definitely doesn't 'fit' and my husband had promised to use tin snips on the top but never did. As a result, the filter rests on top at an interesting but functional angle. Not a completely satisfying solution

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116430-tank-this-morning/?hl=+retro%20+tank

Edited by motherredcap

#11 Thanks tithra that would be nice.

#12 Hi motherredcap: Thank you for your input.

Yes I have seen the "Eheim Liberty" too bad it does not fit properly.

Does it make a lot of noise in this interesting but functional angle ?

But perhaps I am more lucky with the "Aquaclear 70" or else I have to get an extra external canister.

The price is just in another range, so I am crossing my fingers. go go "Aquaclear" :clapping:

The only noise is the waterfall noise (which my older teenager objects to). At some point, 'My Hero' will clip the edge and it will fit better :)

I found out that sadly no HOB filter will fit my tank, so today I ordered an extra canister filter instead.
I went for the
JBL CristalProfi e901 greenline (hope it's good, don't know anything about it)
238 US G/H
2 gallon compartments filter volume.
Which will give me this total:
555 US G/H
5 gallon compartments filter volumen.
So If i have calculated correctly, this will filtrate my 66 gallon tank 8,4 x pr hour.
How does this sound? Know 10 x pr hour would be better but isn't this fine when only using external canister?
I also ordred an extension for my current intake, so it will reach the bottom.
Hoping all this will help with the "dead poo" corner.
Edited by Sonne242

8x/hour is great for canister filters :)

I hope it will solve your poo corner issue! If not, get yourself a turkey baster and suck up that poo manually between water changes!

What I would do Is get a small circulation pump and put it on a timer to come on a few hrs each day, make sure it's pointed at the dead corner.

Something like this

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Koralia_Nano_Circulation_Pump_Powerhead_Fixed_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Hydor_USA-HD00715-FIPHFF-vi.html

Or you could buy the next size up (600 gph)

Good luck

The extra external canister has now arrived.
Now a new problem occurred, what is the best way to place intake and outflow of the two canister? :help:
I have given it som thoughts and this is what I came up with.... :idea
see drawing and please do not laugh, I'am so NOT an artist. :no:

2014-06-12181455_zps78de2d7d.jpg

Should I do it like this or any other ideas?
Hope you understand my doodles or else just ask and I will try explaining.

Lol don't overthink it! Your plan looks fine to me. As long as you have an input and output on each side I'd say you're good to go! I run two canisters on my 75 gallon and put one on each end of the tank with inputs and outputs from the same canister next to one another. I also have one with a spray bar and one with a jet ;)

don't overthink it! :bingo:

Good advice thanks :thumbup2:

I ended as you with one on each end of the tank with inputs and outputs from the same canister next to one another, as the tubes were not long enough for my idea. I can always move them when I get longer tubes.
Thanks for all following and help :thumb: