Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
ghoti

starting up

27 posts in this topic

(a blog)

okay, so this is sort of the start of this blog because the tank is so close, yet so far. i found a tank on kijiji and i might (and i'm saying its a positive might) be getting it. if i don't, i'll probably be updating this blog with details of new tank candidates, just to see some of your opinions on my options. (some questions might also be asked, but overall its probably going to be a log for my progression)

the plans;

fancy plan (2 or 3 fancies, more-so the orandas)

singles plan (2 or 3 shubs/comets)

current tank i'm considering; as of 6/7/2014

69 gallon tank, comes with: aquaclear 70, stand, glass cover, canopy, and gravel - $100

dimensions; 36"L x 18.5"W x 24.5"H

tank plan; the fancies

my only worry with the tank above is that its 3 ft. long and the fish might outgrow that length. the volume is obviously ideal, but i'm not exactly sure about the length. i will also get another filter alongside the ac because it is

* yes i will clean the used tank and materials and cycle before adding the actual fish. you guys have taught me well ;) *

ps, opinions are welcome. i can make mistakes, and i know many of you are far more knowledgeable than me. but at the same time please don't be too mad or demanding when it comes to giving your opinions if i don't completely follow them.

off to check out the tank now,

- ghoti

For 69g, I'd suggest at least 650 gallons per hour for a filter. Goldies are messy, messy fish and require more filtration. :)

I'd also say go with a smaller pea gravel if you're set on using gravel or sand instead. They can choke on it so it'd have to be large enough to not be swallowed (like an actual stone, but it's hard to clean inside something like that) or small enough to be easily spit out. I personally love sand but it's up to you, of course.

Keep it to a shallow layer of substrate so you can clean it well with the siphon when needed. It's less work for you and less of a mess, too! :hug

Otherwise that sounds like a wonderful plan to have three fish in there. It's definitely enough room for a "forever home". I wish you the best of luck. :happydance:bighug

Edited by Chai

Thanks! I was initially intending on going for a bare bottom and getting another Aquaclear 110 to go with the 70.

And... I bought the tank! They were so generous and sold it to me for $50.

That's an awesome deal! :D

I would love to get that many gallons for $50 around here.

Edited by Chai

update;

just finished cleaning everything and using bleach+water solution. sadly it started to rain so we stupidly took in everything. (? maybe stupidly) the tank probably dried for about 30-60 minutes before it started to rain and we brought it in. Sadly because its so heavy and we brought it downstairs, we might not bring it our later. I'll post a question regarding this if it'll be safe still (unless someone answers here or I find an answer before then).

also, the tank was still fairly wet when we brought it in. when i go to smell the inside there's still a faint smell of bleach, but i wiped it down with a paper towel and fresh water

-

also, the lid of the aquaclear says aquaclear 300. it didn't come with a box so I'm assuming that's the gph before they drubbed it the 70?..

It should be fine, as long as you rinsed it well. Your water conditioner will actually get rid of any bleach residue, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

And yes, I believe the 70 was called the 300 before they renamed them :)

Phew, that's relieving to hear.

update;

just decorated the tank with a very thin layer of gravel (the gravel was really fine), the plastic plants, a rock, a shell and a piee of drift wood. i soaked the decors in bleach solution and sun dried them. i took them back out to sundry when the rain vanished too, so they got a pretty good sun-soak. i just filled up the tank around 5/6 of the way and tried out the filter - luckily it works very well. i hope to get some new filter media tomorrow and hopefully a new filter if i can convince my parents to.

so far so good, and i'll start cycling ASAP.

edit: i'll also try to add a picture of my setup, but i've got to find my photobucket account first, lol.

Edited by ghoti

Be careful with the fake plant and the rock. Make sure the fake plant is soft and the rock isn't too rough or it will tear the fins of the fish.

update;

i've been rather afraid to update because of the events from the last few days, but hopefully some of you will understand.

my friend had a 29 gallon tank with five fish. because i tend to be a hardcore perfectionist, i tend to subtly mention that her fish tank is overpopulated. and should at most only have 2 goldfish. anyways. after about three days of having my own 69 tank, she asked if i wanted to take two of her fish, and as much as I wanted to refuse (because I hadn't started my cycle nor gotten another filter), I also wanted to help with her overpopulation and took them in.

as for tank update, i removed most of the gravel and moved the remaining to the corners where i had the plastic plants so they could be supported. I removed the drift wood because I didn't like the browning water, and I recently bought biomedia and filter floss for my current filter, before i received the two fish. right now, my water is somewhat clear. i still don't have my own test kit, so i'm going to my lfs where they thankfully have free use of the master kit. i may also buy a new filter (marineland penguin 350) so I at least have 650 GPH to support my tank, and i'm going with the marineland because my family is trying to be as cost friendly as possible, and that specific filter is on sale. i will also not be using cartridges with these filters and be following Tithra's video on how to change from cartridges. I will also hopefully get a test kit today, depending on my dad. it is father's day so i don't want to go against much of his wishes, lol.

and as for the fish, they are two orandas. they've settled quite nicely and tend to approach the glass and follow me whenever I pass by. they are still fairly small, probably around 1 1/2" with tail. I chose the two of them from my friend because they had somewhat the same colouring pattern.

again, hopefully you guys don't get mad. i feel like i sort of put this on myself for having told my friend that five fish is too much, but at least she listened and rehomed them. i'm off to my lfs soon as well as some other errands with my family.

have a good father's day to you fathers there that may be reading:)

- ghoti

ps, pictures will be going up after i get back!

Edited by ghoti

update;

somewhat bittersweet. adopted two more fish from my same friend. and she actually had six fish, not five. so anyways, here are some photos that i promised:

the original two:

171da52a-07a5-4713-a599-56c019bd9e66_zps

98ae096d-1f9a-45b2-a30f-54e080d042dc_zps

(i'm a bit afraid of what that dull area is. can anyone tell me what that may be?)

and the new two:

a9404bbd-f9ef-4639-9371-a7062276a94a_zps

this one was one of her first three goldfish in the tank (the orange and white one)

7fb566a2-852e-459a-926a-cb5c54ebde62_zps

and this one was her most recent one.

I haven't thought of any names yet, and my friend didn't name any of her fish. Luckily I did get another filter to support my current one.

Any name suggestions would be amazing, and also my question regarding the second photo fish.

- ghoti

Edited by ghoti

Very cute little orandas :)

regarding the second fish, do you mean the patch on the belly? it looks like there are some missing scales there, they will grow back over time.

If you can get it you may want to grab some salt and prazi and do a proper QT for these guys. Please read about QT here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/114492-how-to-quarantine-new-fish/

And begin a thread in the quarantine section of the forum if you'd like some guidance on this etc. :)

Yep, that patch. Phew.

I'm not sure how quick (or easy) it'll be for me to get my hands on some Prazi. Aquarium salt I already have. Thanks for reminding me to QT :)

Yep, that patch. Phew.

I'm not sure how quick (or easy) it'll be for me to get my hands on some Prazi. Aquarium salt I already have. Thanks for reminding me to QT :)

You'll need to keep a close eye on those parameters though, good water condition is the number one priority at this point :) that may mean frequent (possibly daily depending on ammonia/nitrite readings) water changes. Sometimes local stores carry it, otherwise it needs to be ordered online (assuming you're in the us? I'm on my phone so I can't see what country you're from ;) )

Friends, I come bearing great news: I have a new AC70.

This local pet store in a nearby mall was closing and they were having a 50℅ off sale, but there were no more 110s so I opted for the $30 AC70. Thhe prices here were more expensive than at petsmart so I don't buy here often, but the signs caught my eye immediately, LOL.

I also saw a tag for Prazi but there weren't any, so that was disappointing. Aside from a new filter I bought more biomedia and sponges. I did consider getting a 20 or 10 gall as a QT tank, but I had no car to transport it! Otherwis I'd say it was a pretty good day ^^

I still want a third filter to get me over 700 gph though... x)

Glad everything is coming together for you, sounds like you're on the right track!

My first priority would be to do good WC, at LEAST 50% daily, until you can get a test kit :)

Your water parameters in an uncycled tank can go whooosh through the roof awfully fast otherwise. I did a fish in cycle and without my test kit I wouldn't have done so well.

They fish are beautiful, excited to see more pictures :D

Glad everything is coming together for you, sounds like you're on the right track!

My first priority would be to do good WC, at LEAST 50% daily, until you can get a test kit :)

Your water parameters in an uncycled tank can go whooosh through the roof awfully fast otherwise. I did a fish in cycle and without my test kit I wouldn't have done so well.

My tank has been running for about two months now but I still haven't gotten a test kit to see if I'm actually cycled. :undecided: And there were none at that pet store I went to yesterday so I unfortunately couldn't buy then. I'm also a bit scared that I'm not completely cycled because I have to prime the ACs for it to run after water changes and I'm afraid of any "shock" to the BBs...

I was also a bit scared to do daily water changes in the beginning and didn't actually do it for the first week or so, but then I eventually did it (but only around 25%, and a 50% weekly) while my parents were at work xD Now I do around a 80% water change weekly, around 30% (usually more depending on my schedule) on Wednesdays and top off the water daily since a lot evaporates thanks to my lights and the dreadful heat.

And I have seen some considerable growth (I don't know how much in terms of mass/weight) since I bought them back in June that I may do a two-months later photoshoot.

I also forgot to mention earlier in the blog that a fifth fish (ranchu) was added (somewhat forgot, cuz I was a tiny-bit afraid to mention when my family first brought him home lol).

I must say, I had plans before I started actual fish-keeping but it didn't go according to it because of familial restrictions. Thank goodness I managed to get a second filter and get closer to the recommended GPH so I can rest a little bit easier since I'm kinda pushing it.

Next on my priority list, test-kit and prazi. Is it ever too late to properly quarantine fish? I mean, I did do the salt quarantine but never got to do the prazi so I hope to find some locally soon, if not order. My family though...Sometimes they think the fish are just fish and the expenses for things like prazi or test-kits are kind of a waste. I'm sure I'm not alone when people look at them funny or criticize some decisions because they're raising goldfish, lol.

hopefully some more photos by the end of the month, otherwise, see y'all should see me around the forum

-ghoti

My tank has been running for about two months now but I still haven't gotten a test kit to see if I'm actually cycled. :undecided: And there were none at that pet store I went to yesterday so I unfortunately couldn't buy then. I'm also a bit scared that I'm not completely cycled because I have to prime the ACs for it to run after water changes and I'm afraid of any "shock" to the BBs...

I was also a bit scared to do daily water changes in the beginning and didn't actually do it for the first week or so, but then I eventually did it (but only around 25%, and a 50% weekly) while my parents were at work xD Now I do around a 80% water change weekly, around 30% (usually more depending on my schedule) on Wednesdays and top off the water daily since a lot evaporates thanks to my lights and the dreadful heat.

And I have seen some considerable growth (I don't know how much in terms of mass/weight) since I bought them back in June that I may do a two-months later photoshoot.

I also forgot to mention earlier in the blog that a fifth fish (ranchu) was added (somewhat forgot, cuz I was a tiny-bit afraid to mention when my family first brought him home lol).

I must say, I had plans before I started actual fish-keeping but it didn't go according to it because of familial restrictions. Thank goodness I managed to get a second filter and get closer to the recommended GPH so I can rest a little bit easier since I'm kinda pushing it.

Next on my priority list, test-kit and prazi. Is it ever too late to properly quarantine fish? I mean, I did do the salt quarantine but never got to do the prazi so I hope to find some locally soon, if not order. My family though...Sometimes they think the fish are just fish and the expenses for things like prazi or test-kits are kind of a waste. I'm sure I'm not alone when people look at them funny or criticize some decisions because they're raising goldfish, lol.

hopefully some more photos by the end of the month, otherwise, see y'all should see me around the forum

-ghoti

Two months is a while, a lot of cycles are completed by then, and some aren't. It's a topic of much discussion on the forum, and there are many noted factors (and many factors in debate) that can affect cycle legnth. It's not a consistent thing for everyone across the board that's for sure!

Test kits aren't always readily accessible at pet stores especially in smaller townships so if you think your parents/guardian would allow ordering online, let me know your country and I'd be happy to help find some affordable sites to order from.

All of us started out somewhere and you shouldn't feel embarrassed or self concious about errors made due to circumstance or because you didn't know any better, ALL of us have done stuff like that at some point with something. I know I did! And lots of members are individuals living with their parents and have the consideration of others or rules in place that factor into what can be done in the hobby, you're in good company.

Prazi treatment is generally performed every 6 months to ensure a low load of parasite. It's never too late to treat with prazi and although most schedules listed here are for QT routines, there are schedules for maintenance or cycled tank flukes treatment. Let me know if there is anything specific you are curious about!

Feel free to post photos! You enjoy your fish and this community is a big fan of enjoying it with you!

Have a great night,

-Amy

Hey all,

Didn't get to update right after I did, BUT I returned to the store with the sale and they had one bottle of prazi left. So I bought it and today after my water change i followed the directions and dosed enough for 60 gallons.

Aside from that news, I've been tempted to get another betta since my long hiatus of taking care of one. I was one of those more, I guess, "mainstream" betta keepers that kept them in 1 gallon vases or even worse. (Sadly enough I did know they should've been kept in larger enclosures). But now I kind of want to try again but this time with a 5 or actually even a 10 gallon. As much as I'd like to, I wouldn't go over 15 gallons mainly because I don't have space for it in my room.

So yeah, maybe in a few days, weeks or maybe months, I'll be caring for a betta again.

And in regards to photos of the lil goldies I did have a photoshoot today and a lot of them turned out pretty well. I'm not a fan of photobucket though so I might not be uploading them onto Koko's but on Instagram. Instagram is just more accessible for me and easier for me to maneuver and such. It of course won't be a personal instagram, it'll mostly be photos of the goldies (and maybe the possible future betta?) and some art.

That's pretty much it, so...

Hey all, just a bit of an update since August:

Firstly, I hope you are all having a happy holidays.

Secondly, an explanation for my somewhat long absence. I've been fairly busy that giving updates wasn't exactly on my priorities list at the time and when I did possibly have sometime to spare, there wasn't any big changes or questions I had.

The five goldies are all fine in the 65(more like 70) gallon tank. Because I see them everyday, I didn't notice much growth in the past around six months of having them until I looked at photos I've taken. One of the fish I've noticed started to develop very minor swimming issues. He's one of the greedier fish I almost feel tries to jump out of the water during feeding. It doesn't look like anything too much of an issue right now. If it gets worse I'll be sure to ask on the forum.

Due to it being Christmas recently, I did receive a present from my friend for the goldies. She'd just told me about it though because it hasn't arrived yet, but it was the Saki-Hikari goldfish food (purple bag). I am very excited about these but I do still have a bit of my previous fish food (Omega1) but I will most likely feed one in the morning and the other in the evening.

My LFS had a store wide holiday clearance sale as well. The test kits were on sale but there weren't any more available (just my luck, huh?). I bought more filter floss and, wait for it, tahitian moon sand.

I wanted to buy a new tank (90 gallons) but my parents weren't up for it. The Aquaclear 110 wasn't available there either but I do know it should be on sale at petsmart so I might buy from there.

So let's go to the main portion of why I decided on this update:

How deep is the recommended amount for sand? How much is too much? I have a used tank and the silicone isn't the most appealing thing about it (nor is the fairly scratched up front glass but I've gotten used to it). Anyways in regard to the silicone, I was hoping, for the most part, to at least cover it with sand.

I did buy two bags in case one wasn't enough (depth wise).

My second issue is actually putting the sand in the tank. After putting the sand in the tank and filling with water, the instructions say to turn on the filter and put the water clarifier. I have a HOB, so should I let the sand settle first and then turn on the filter or just turn on the filter before the sand has settled? I would've done the former but I'm asking as a precaution. If there is another way you guys did this it would be extremely helpful.

--

Finally, I know I've said it multiple times and never actually lived up to it, but I might post pictures of the goldies. I've forgotten my photobucket stuff so there's a possibility I can't (just out of laziness, sorry xP lol). I did measure them just last week and they were all around 2 inches without tail. Two of them were smaller than two inches, two were right about two inches, the big one was a little bit over two inches.

Happy holidays again. I will post my questions later in its subsequent forum for a faster response. And hopefully photos will be up (not just recent ones but maybe a through the months kind of thing).

- ghoti

I would stick with 1/4" to 1/2" of sand. Wait for it to settle before turning the HOBs on. Also, make sure the intakes of the HOBs are a sufficient amount above the sand, so that they don't just suck it up and ruin the motors. 

I would stick with 1/4" to 1/2" of sand. Wait for it to settle before turning the HOBs on. Also, make sure the intakes of the HOBs are a sufficient amount above the sand, so that they don't just suck it up and ruin the motors.

Thanks!

I think I read somewhere over 7"-8" was high enough, is this correct? (For the HOB intakes, not the sand)

Edited by ghoti

I feel like that is extreme overkill. I used to keep mine 3" above the sand bed, but others keep theirs a little higher. 

I feel like that is extreme overkill. I used to keep mine 3" above the sand bed, but others keep theirs a little higher.

Lol, actually my tank is naturally tall (24" high I believe) and I use two of the intake tubes together for my AC70 and it's still 7-8 inches above the floor of the tank. My other AC70 only uses one so it's much higher off the floor. It's good to know that I'm pretty safe at that height though :)

Update:

So I used one bag of the TMS for the aquarium and its perfect.  I absolutely love the clean look and how much my fish stand out, but maybe the new black background played a bigger part in that.  Speaking of the black background, I didn't really want to spend money at the moment (and because I can't find a 36"x24" black background) so instead I took a black garbage bag and using the leveling plastic on the filters, it hung in place. I adjusted the light so you don't see the wrinkles from afar and I didn't bother fixing it up because I just wanted to see what it would look like.  I'm not sure if the wrinkles will appear in photos and I'm hoping for the most part you can't.

So back to the sand.  My verdict so far: I love it.  

I even added some old plastic plants that i had stored away and I might consider keeping it in if I don't see any fin rips in my fish.

As for a new AC110, I'm hoping to get one before the sale ends, so wish me luck with asking my parents. 

- ghoti