Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jenn Ivimey

Supplimental filter (I have a Poo Corner!)

In my 55, I have a SunSun canister filter (rated for 525...I don't use the UV). Unfortunately even with my bubbler going along the whole back of the tank, I still seem to have a "dead" spot... which we have dubbed "Poo Corner". I am not sure which HOB I should get. Does anyone else have a similar set up? I am finding that the current seems to be too much already for my little butterfly, so I don't want to overwhelm her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried changing how the outflow of your filter is positioned? Sometimes it is possible to find a "sweet spot" for your outflow.

Also, how far from the wall is your bubble wall?

You could also try a power head. I use that on my 40G for that same problem. Get one that you can rotate in all directions until you find the right position to eliminate dead spots. I use a Koralia power head.

I siphon poo daily because my currents were too much for my fish with the intakes near the sand. :idont

I have that same problem.

Always seems to be poo in one corner, and of course it is the spot you can see the most.

It is like the fish know.

can we get a photo of your whole tank please? do you use the spraybars that came with the filter? if so, are they above or under the water surface?

I have two of the sun suns hooked up to my 55 bare bottom with one butterfly. I went ahead and positioned the spray bar so that the outflow is faced towards the glass to minimize the current. The other spray bar I have positioned at a downward angle. I haven't had a problem with a " poo corner" haha.. Just work on twisting the outflow pieces in a way that will work. Each spray bar has like 3 or 4 independent pieces In which you can twist them to make the current work for you :)

PS, My spray bars are submerged.

Edited by hotnickles96

Sorry for the long delay in replying everyone! It has been a crazy work week!

Have you tried changing how the outflow of your filter is positioned? Sometimes it is possible to find a "sweet spot" for your outflow.

Also, how far from the wall is your bubble wall?

I have been playing with the included spray bars quite a bit. Initially I had the outflow/spraybars in the middle of the back wall of the tank. I have since moved the bar to the far left (the intake is in the far right back corner). Hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. And the bubble wall is up against the back wall.

can we get a photo of your whole tank please? do you use the spraybars that came with the filter? if so, are they above or under the water surface?

Just about to do a WC... I can get a "before" pic if you want. I have this from before... terrible quality, but you get an idea of the set up...poo corner is the far left:

I use the included spray bar, its kindof half in, half out of the water. One end dips in, the other "sprays" the top of the water. I will get a pic to better explain... words are failing me now!

Try pointing the spray bar at the wall on the side of your tank, and moving the intake to the middle of the other side if possible. In my 55, I found that distributing the current evenly along one side allows for it to flow both up and down, sweeping the poop and food along the floor of the tank to the other end and also creating mild surface agitation. I personally didn't use a spraybar, but used the outflow head that came with my canister, so I don't know exactly if this will work the same way, but it is worth a shot. It also reduces the current a little bit.

The reason I asked about the bubble wall's position is because it can aid in creating a current in the tank by creating an upflow. Sometimes this also creates a vacuum that sucks bits of debris behind it, especially if it isn't right up against the glass. If you do some finagling with the bubble wand, you can use that to help eliminate dead spots as well. :) It's all a trial and error thing.

Please excuse the yuckiness... WC day! I have been playing with shoving the plant into the corner, along with trying to get the bubblewall to stay down... but Smaug does not approve and redecorates after all my efforts. Plant in the corner kindof works... I am still siphoning daily (depending on how bad)... but more is still getting trapped there. Anyone have a magic trick to keep the bubble wall down? Its a weighted one, but I cant seem to make the ends stay down... I guess the suction cup clips are in order.

Poo Corner:

DSCF1306.jpg

Spray bar (its as far over to the left as I can get it...):

DSCF1305.jpg

Whole tank (ug... its a mess! Sorry!):

DSCF1307.jpg

Try pointing the spray bar at the wall on the side of your tank, and moving the intake to the middle of the other side if possible. In my 55, I found that distributing the current evenly along one side allows for it to flow both up and down, sweeping the poop and food along the floor of the tank to the other end and also creating mild surface agitation. I personally didn't use a spraybar, but used the outflow head that came with my canister, so I don't know exactly if this will work the same way, but it is worth a shot. It also reduces the current a little bit.

The reason I asked about the bubble wall's position is because it can aid in creating a current in the tank by creating an upflow. Sometimes this also creates a vacuum that sucks bits of debris behind it, especially if it isn't right up against the glass. If you do some finagling with the bubble wand, you can use that to help eliminate dead spots as well. :) It's all a trial and error thing.

So move my intake more to the front of the tank? And I'm not sure I understand your suggestion with the spray bar. instead of pointing towards the front like it is now, try to get it to point to the left (the direction of poo corner)? I would have to take out some sections of the spray bar... does that matter?

I must've misunderstood the original post, I thought you had it on the side of the tank and not the back.

Keep it on a side wall (A 12" wall, not a 4ft wall), just point it at the wall instead of out into to the tank.

If you take out sections of the bar you can make it have a stronger current. That's good. It'll help push poo.

Edited by ChelseaM

hm. My only worry is that my tubes arent long enough. Once the tank is empty (draining now...) I will try to make that work :) Thank you so much for your help!

I think they probably will be. From how the tank looks you just have to take off a portion of the bar and turn it toward you. :)

Good luck!

Oh! Awesome. So I dont need to have it up against the side... just pointed to that side? I am having such a brain fart today... sorry! I sound like a moron :P

Stick it to the wall with the spray facing the wall you stuck it to.

i can send you the spraybars from my sunsun which i do not use anymore and you can extend in length your spray bar to cover more area in your tank. if you would like them, please send me your postal details to sparez@bigpond.net.au. at least with that you will have more options for multi directional flow.

I have poop buildup, too. I give you :thumbs: because I just let it sit around until w/c day. :o I do it twice a week, so whatever the fish don't kick around themselves, won't sit on the floor for too long.

Stick it to the wall with the spray facing the wall you stuck it to.

I already notice a difference! I only had to take out one small section, and it fits snuggly across the width of the tank. Hopefully that did the trick...Thank you so much!

i can send you the spraybars from my sunsun which i do not use anymore and you can extend in length your spray bar to cover more area in your tank. if you would like them, please send me your postal details to sparez@bigpond.net.au. at least with that you will have more options for multi directional flow.

Thank you so much for your offer...but I think I've got it sorted now!

Bubble wands are great to draw debris, but if they are above the substrate, they often lack the strength to actually move debris up into the water current where it would eventually get removed by the filter. Instead, a slightly elevated bubble wand can cause debris to collect underneath it.

I think that is what is happening here, and your plant in the corner then catches most of the poop.

I would move the plant a couple inches away from the corner, and try to keep the bubble wand buried further towards the corner of the tank. This may be tricky due to the rigidness of both the air tubing and the wand, even though both are considerably flexible.

Most likely you will have to anchor the tubing/wand down to keep it from rising. Maybe use airline holders (those little suction cups) to try to keep the bubble wand in position.

You could also place a medium - large sized black river rock over top of the buried wand by the corner to weigh the wand down if the suction cups don't work out or if you do not like their look. Since the wand is below the rock, the bubbles will rise around the rock and keep debris from collecting under its edges. :)

my fish like to dig and sìting through the sand so I dont have problem with poo conner, all the poo disappear the next morning :miracle.

You could use air stone or air disk. They work fine for me. The debris get picked up and push around the tank till they reach the intake.

Bubble wands are a good workaround. Whether this would help you I don't know, but you'll end up with more current if you remove the spray bar altogether.

I put my air stone in a silk plant and it stays put very well. I haven't had a bubble wand, but perhaps you could do something like that or suction it to the glass?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*