Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Fat ranchu

5 posts in this topic

What do you guys do if one fish eats WAY more than the others and is just ... fat? The other fish are definitely getting enough to eat too, but my ranchu is just a more powerful swimmer and charges her way through the tank in search of food. She also continues to dig around for fallen morsels, long after the other fish have lost interest. All the fish have trailing poop after a meal, but hers is much longer. Should I separate her once I'm satisfied she's had enough to eat, or is this not that big of a deal? Her chubbiness is still in line with what I've seen in other ranchus; it's just more than any of the other fish I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well, if there is no ill effect to ANY of the fish involved, then I see no problem. :)

If the fat fish suffered from food related buoyancy issues or other food related problems, I'd try to scoop him/her up into a colander or small tub during some of the feedings.

Well, if there is no ill effect to ANY of the fish involved, then I see no problem. :)

If the fat fish suffered from food related buoyancy issues or other food related problems, I'd try to scoop him/her up into a colander or small tub during some of the feedings.

I agree. :)

The other thing that you can do is to hand feed. The disclaimer here is that I don't do this, nor will I ever attempt. :rofl

Fortunately she doesn't have any swim bladder problems; she's a very healthy fish. She was also chubby when I got her ... in fact I named her Chubby Cheeks! She speeds past all my fish when food is present. And aren't ranchu supposed to be one of the slower-moving varieties ...?

I only have several fish that will hand feed, and they love to do so. The others would prefer to scour the bottom of the tank for food, and dart away from my hands. Now, I train all my new fish to hand feed, but I suspect some of my older ones will never get the hang of it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

I'm pretty sure we need a pic of this fatty :nana