• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0.0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? 70*F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 19 gallons
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every other day
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish 2"
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead twice a day. Bloodworms a few times a week.
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? Only this fish
      • * Any medications added to the tank? None
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 0.1% Salt started two days ago.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? He seems to be missing a lot of scales.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Wasn't eating when I first got him which lasted 4 days. Eating for the last couple of days. Is bottom sitting and even laying on his side.

This is a new fish that a friend of wife gave to us. He says that he has had this fish for a couple of years and wanted us to have it since he doesn't know many people that are into goldfish. We have him for a week now in a quarantine tank and for the first four days he did not eat at all. During this time he would swim some but he would spend quite a bit of time bottom sitting. I consulted with the person who gave us the fish and he suggested that I salt the tank which I did two days ago. He finally started to eat yesterday and has had pellets and bloodworms. Today he is bottom sitting more and is actually laying on his side at time. I didn't really notice it at first but when I was taking the video and pictures to post here I seems like he is missing a lot of scales. Below I have posted some pictures of him close up and from above and a video.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CameraZOOM-20140517211503358_zps5ea697b9

CameraZOOM-20140517211335472_zps8baf38d2

CameraZOOM-20140517210805671_zpsbfba56e9

is the container of which you have taken the video in, his QT tank? and the form that you filled out, are they related to the QT tank or the main tank?

i am wondering if adding an extra airstone to the QT tank will help perk him up.

i don't see any missing scales. with calico fish, sometimes they have scales which are so transparent and so matte that they are difficult to see. would you take a closer look and if he is actually missing any scales, please see if you can get a good picture of it :)

he's so beautiful :wub:

The container in the video is not the tank he is housed in. I am quarantining him in a 20 gallon sterilite tub with a filter on it. I moved him to this container because it is clear and the quarantine tank isn't.

I am not sure if he is really missing scales. The person who gave me the fish didn't mention any problems so maybe it is just my inexperience.

I don't have an air stone but can pick up one tomorrow if needed.

He is a really nice looking fish.

Edited by GoFishyGo

That is one gorgeous fish!

Hope he improves soon :)

When you say you salted the tank, how much salt and what kind of salt did you put in? I also think he's more than 2" :teehee I would say 3"-4" ;)

Wow. He is stunning.

Have you seen him poop? If so, what does it look like?

Was he really active in his previous home?

When you say you salted the tank, how much salt and what kind of salt did you put in? I also think he's more than 2" :teehee I would say 3"-4" ;)

I salted 0.1% with Kosher Salt. With the tail he is closer to 3 to 4 inches.

Was he really active in his previous home?

I am not sure how active he was in his previous home. The person was surprised to hear he wasn't eating. I know the fish was in some sort of pond for the last couple of weeks.

Wow. He is stunning.

Have you seen him poop? If so, what does it look like?

He hasn't been pooping much since I got him but the recent stuff is mostly clear and stringy.

What are the ingredients in the salt?

Salt.

would you take a video of his behaviour in the QT tub? first start with airsones/filter running for about 10 seconds and then turn the airstones/filter off for another 10 seconds.. all this whilst filming. it seems you know little about the history of this fish other than he was in a pond for a few weeks before coming into your care. i have the opinion that his previous carer is quite knowledgeable for keeping goldfish since your Ryukin holds a brilliant calico colouring and on the exter, looks really good for a fish who is a few years old. :)

i am wondering if some constipation is happening. he seems to sink to the bottom quite fast (observed from your video). are you able to feed nothing but softened, skinned peas for the next 24 hours? if he's backed up, this should assist in relieving the pressure? if after 24 hours he still has stringy white poop or clear like waste, then we may need to look at the possibility bacteria.

why did his previous owner pass this fish on to you? were there other fish in the pond also?

Salt.

I think he's wondering if it's sodium chloride or Epsom salt. :teehee

I'm kind of assuming sodium chloride . . . :idont

Salt.

I think he's wondering if it's sodium chloride or Epsom salt. :teehee

I'm kind of assuming sodium chloride . . . :idont

:teehee I just wanted to make sure there weren't any addatives because I know some kosher salt had addatives like that anti caking stuff in it.

I posted the video below Helen. At the 28 second mark is when I turned off the air stone and filter. Most of the movement I have observed from him is in response to being pushed around by the filter or when he starts to turn on his side.

The fish is from a friend of my wifes who likes to breed Ryukin's. I was actually interested in getting a fish from one of his breedings instead he showed up at our house last weekend with this fish. I know he purchased it for breeding purposes and was very excited when he described the fish to us. He was telling us that he had breeding stars and how nice his coloring was and how he had a red spot on his head. I told him that I really didn't want one of his prized fish but he insisted that we take it. I didn't want to be rude to my wifes friend so we kept him and besides he is a very nice looking fish. :D I assume there were other fish in the pond since he breeds Ryukin's but I am not completely sure. He has offered to take the fish back but I would like to try and get him well again.

I can feed him peas for the next 24 hours and will see if he gets any better.

I wish someone would give ME a fish that looked like that! Wow!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What do you have in terms of available waterborne medications?

I wish someone would give ME a fish that looked like that! Wow!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It is a very nice fish. I tried to get him to take some money but he wouldn't take any.

What do you have in terms of available waterborne medications?

Alex, I have General Cure, Kanaplex, and PraziPro.

I have fed him peas for the past 24 hours and he doesn't seem to like them very much. He didn't eat very many of them and if he did eat them he spit them back out.

I'm not sure what to do next for him.

I have fed him peas for the past 24 hours and he doesn't seem to like them very much. He didn't eat very many of them and if he did eat them he spit them back out.

I'm not sure what to do next for him.

I would recommend go ahead and treating him with Kanaplex + Prazipro.

It seems to me that he is down with something, and so we'll throw a wide net, hoping that it is enough.

Good morning everyone. The good news is that he is a little more active today with him swimming around the QT and eating some pellets.

Alex I have salt in the tank right now should I continue to keep salting the tank while treating with the Kanaplex? Also do I treat with Prazipro and kanaplex at the same time? The instructions on Kanaplex say to treat every two days for three doses. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks for your help.

Good morning everyone. The good news is that he is a little more active today with him swimming around the QT and eating some pellets.

Alex I have salt in the tank right now should I continue to keep salting the tank while treating with the Kanaplex? Also do I treat with Prazipro and kanaplex at the same time? The instructions on Kanaplex say to treat every two days for three doses. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, remove the salt. :)

This should take you through the first six days, at which point we will need to re-evaluate.

Days 1-2 - Do a 100% WC first thing, and then dose in Prazi and Kana

Days 3-4 - Do a 100% WC on day 3, and then dose in fresh prazi and kana

Days 5-6 - Do a 100% WC on day 5, add kana, but do not at prazi

:)

It is day 7 since I first started treatment on my sick fish. He is more active than he was six days ago and is eating much more. However, he is still bottom sitting quite a bit and I am not sure what my next step should be.

Please let me know if I should continue treatment with Kanaplex and or Prazipro.

Thanks again for your help.

For days 7-8, do as 5-6, and then days 9-10, 11-12 to be the same as 1-4

Hopefully by then he should be much more active :)

Okay, today is day 12 of treating my new fish with Kanaplex and Prazipro. The good news is that he is much more active, especially today. However, he is still spending a decent amount of time bottom sitting. I am not sure if I can still continue with the Kanaplex. Please let me know what I should do next.

Thanks.