Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HomerJay

OMG babies!

Frozen baby brine shrimp will work just fine.

But if you have brine shrimp eggs on hand, you can hatch some of them in a solution of about 1 quart/liter of water mixed with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt. Dissolve the salt and add a pinch of brine shrimp eggs. Add an air stone - voila. Not the most ideal way of hatching them, but it will definitely suffice for just two baby goldfish.

Additionally, if your main tank has something with algae on it (any type algae), like a plant, an ornament, a rock etc, just add that to your fry tub as well. The tiny guys like to nibble on algae.

I have more algae than I can shake a stick at! :rofl3 I did put a plant in with them.

Congrats, Rob!! I think you'll have fun with these little guys. I can't believe you didn't see any eggs. :yikes

I'm sure Lisa can give you advice on the quantity of BBS eggs to hatch if you decide to go that route. I used 1/4 tsp of eggs to feed 34 fry and had tons leftover each time. But not sure if Lisa hatched less to feed Waldo.

Good luck! :D

Thanks Erin! I've seen them going through the motions, but never saw anything scattered or laying anywhere. They are pretty young I think, so I didn't know if they were even old enough to produce anything viable. :idont

Grabbed 2 more floating in the water. They must have been jarred loose from the plants while the big guys were rummaging.

Congrats!

Congratulations! Hopefully everything will be ok and that will be as gorgeous as their parents!

Edited by adnan

!!congratulations!!..... Pops!!:-)

How do I get them out of my main tank without destroying them?????

syphon

Hi Grandpa!!! Congratulations :D

Be on the lookout as there may be more. I had fry twice and I have noticed that they were hatching at different rates. As for food, I never tried hatching BBS; I fed mines with Hikari First Bite, NLS Small Fry Starter; Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp; and Waterlife Artemia Shelless Brine Shrimp Eggs

I hope you fry grow to be big, healthy and beautiful fish :)

Thanks Kat. Saw another one this morning, went to get my cup I have been using to grab them, and it was gone. :idont

Congrats, Rob... but what happened to the no-dating-until-you-are-40 rule?

My little ranchu girl is a wild one apparently. She must have snuck out a window at night :bat:

Grats on the fry. Have fun taking care of them.

Edited by choji002

I have a spare 5 gallon tank at work, but I won't be able to get it until Tuesday since I have to work in NYC tomorrow. Will the babies be Ok in a bowl without an airstone until then?

So, I changed their water today. Do you think it will be Ok til Tuesday night without an airstone? They are still puny, and not really swimming much. just sticking to the side of the bowl mostly.

:hi gramps! :rofl

I didn't put an air stone in til 1 week. :D

Thanks Lisa!! I don't have a spare stone that will fit in the bowl, but it will be fine in the 5G tank once I get it from work on Tuesday.

So I saw something stuck to the side of my tank today. I thought maybe it was worms. but it turns out there are 3 babies that I can see. How do I get them out of my main tank without destroying them?????

Corral off the area! :nana

:Congrats:

How are grand-kids doing Rob? Bit more active?

How are grand-kids doing Rob? Bit more active?

They seem to be OK Kat. They are a bit more active. i have them in a dark colored bowl, so hopefully tomorrow night I can get them into the 5G tank and actually be able to see them.

My little ranchu girl is a wild one apparently. She must have snuck out a window at night :bat:

:rofl good one :teehee

:Congrats:

Sorry I was slow to your party, but have fun :)

I hope some of my fry are still alive when I get home

Thanks Aubrey!

I took out 3 more babies today from the last round of spawning. The first batch is eating well. I lost one of the first 5 so I have a total of 7 now. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if anymore pop out today.

Pics. :wa