Sign in to follow this  
Saralyn

Thinking about breeding later on, but male has fused tail? ( 3 Pics )

14 posts in this topic

I believe the two black moors I have are male and female. I spotted a single breeding star on the one that I believed to be a male (he's only about 3 inches long right now). However, my "male" black moor has a fused tail. Is this hereditary? (Also I got a six inch female black moor yesterday with a tank my mother and I purchsed.) Will a small male black moor try breeding with the large female? All of them are extremely healthy and have no problems swimming.

a7cfe853-6971-41b2-b7c6-8ad0c17ccbd5.jpg

0e4e9a24-7b4a-4091-b1e8-935ce698a632.jpg

Don't worry she was only in the bowl to get her home. She previously lived in a 55 gallon alone and is now with my two black moors and my calico telescope in a 75 gallon. (I'm working on resealing my 72 bow front that I got a week ago) This is a good picture of why goldfish shouldn't live in bowls.

Sorry, it's the only picture I have of her right now.

97da987d-b11e-4a27-8d35-3e1839cd032a.jpg

Edit: I now see many more breeding stars on the gill plate of my "male".

I'm afraid I know nothing about goldfish genetics. I hear it's complicated! I'm also unsure what the standard is for the black moor, but personally I like the look of your male's fused tale. :)

Just wanted to say I love the look of all three of your fish!

Yes, a fused tail is hereditary. That's no concern if you like it and are not going to show fish.

Goldfish boys like their girls big and fat.

Hi Saralyn,

Congratulations

I can also confirm what the the others have told you.

1. a small male can and will breed to an adult female with good results.

2. no problem with the black moor fused tale used for breed . always we get many of those and other problems in each spawn.

She will still produce many with just what we seek . beautiful tails full pop eyes and dark velvet skins. At least that is what mine do.

Goldfish produce many fry and there's a chance some will have a fused tail and some will not. Most of the time it does not impact their ability to swim by any means. :)

Well it seems like he has two lovely ladies. Lets just hope they will hold off on the breeding until I can get all the tanks set up. (We have a 75, 72, 60, 55, and 30 right now. )

Well it seems like he has two lovely ladies. Lets just hope they will hold off on the breeding until I can get all the tanks set up. (We have a 75, 72, 60, 55, and 30 right now. )

My goodness! How do you keep up on the maintenance? I have a 55g and a 20g (my husband has a 10g, but that's his responsibility) and while I would love another tank I am seriously concerned about maintenance. I don't want to commit to more than I can manage.

We only have the 75 ,30 and 55 gallon turtle tank set up right now. Once I get my 72 sealed I'll be putting it in my room. Then my Mom will be taking my old 60 to her home (which means I'll have to run up there on the weekends to clean). Our 30 is set up in our middle storage room. We have a 55 set up with turtles that I'm working on re-homing and a 55 empty. Python hoses are miracle workers LOL . :teehee Not to mention I have plastic tubs for quarantine.

Edit: I had fish since I was kid and dream about them all the time, like weekly. So it really bugged me when I didn't have fish. Now I will most certainly have my fishies. I'd always dream about looking in the stores to find the perfect fish. To me they are like living moving pieces of art. :rolleyes:

Edited by Saralyn

We only have the 75 ,30 and 55 gallon turtle tank set up right now. Once I get my 72 sealed I'll be putting it in my room. Then my Mom will be taking my old 60 to her home (which means I'll have to run up there on the weekends to clean). Our 30 is set up in our middle storage room. We have a 55 set up with turtles that I'm working on re-homing and a 55 empty. Python hoses are miracle workers LOL . :teehee Not to mention I have plastic tubs for quarantine.

Edit: I had fish since I was kid and dream about them all the time, like weekly. So it really bugged me when I didn't have fish. Now I will most certainly have my fishies. I'd always dream about looking in the stores to find the perfect fish. To me they are like living moving pieces of art. :rolleyes:

No buckets would definitely make my life easier!

This thread reminds me of this song from Madagascar. :tomuch:

Waddles definitely likes his girls big and chunky. :ehh

:rofl3

Personally I love the fused tails. I have a ranchu with a tail like your fish and a black moor/fantail with a "tripod" tail (which looks totally awesome). I imagine fused tails would be more common if a parent has one, but this is a fairly common defect even if neither parent does. Also, I am not sure where you got your fish but pet store fish (like mine) are often mutts, anyway. It's interesting seeing how the fry come out. Yours is a real beauty, too.

If my goldfish breed, they breed - I don't try to stop them, lol. Last time I had a telescope male and a fantail male breed with my black moor female. I thought the telescope was too young to breed, but he sure proved me wrong! :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

i have four tanks and use 10 litre buckets wish i had a python :( but hey what's the fun in not spilling water everywhere??

The smaller two I have came from what I would consider a higher - end pet store. The store was called Aquatic Critters in Nashville Tennessee. All the tanks were spotless and every fish I saw was healthy. I only wish I could go back. I don't know where the previous owners of the big girl got her from. I know what you guys mean by mutts though. I went a few weeks back to a certain pet store where they were selling "black moors" and it was obvious they were mixed with something. :huh: I don't think mine look too bad besides the male with a fused tail and my smaller female has a kink in her tail. I can't find anything wrong with the big girl though. (But I'm no expert :P)

Also, I manage to spill water no matter what I do. I'm notorious for flooding my bathroom. I was once chatting on here while the bathroom flooded because washcloths fell in and blocked the sink. I had water in my air vent for weeks. :whistle