Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hotnickles96

craigslist oranda?

That is a gorgeous oranda :wub: if it was me, I'd try to get the price down because of the damaged fins. If you're willing to treat it, I'd say go for it :)

Wow good deal if all you got was the tank. I'd get it.

be prepared to treat the fish.. looks to be recovering from either fin rot or i have suspicions of swim bladder issues. could be that the fins darkened on the edges (particularly the dorsal) is due to air exposure.. ie, being pinned to the top right way up and upside down. this could be from wrong food being fed or a long term water param issue.

but like Angie said, a good deal even if it were for the tank alone. fish is a bonus :)

I wouldn't even worry about the price, considering it comes with tank, stand and lots of equipment. That is a pretty good deal!

But as Helen said, definitely start treating. He looks a bit unhappy. It does not quite look like ongoing fin rot but as if he has had a bad case before. His tail is big and full with smooth edges, but the rest of his fins is very frayed looking and tiny, especially his pectorals. Maybe that's just how his fins are, but better be prepared!

Either way, good thing that he would literally come with his own QT tank.! :D

If I was you and really like him (and he really is super cute), I'd get him, toss all gravel and floss type media that comes with him. Then run the tank and filter with a 1:9 bleach solution to thoroughly disinfect it and all the equipment and decor you want to keep. If there are ceramic rings as media, just put them back in the filter while you run the bleach, so you can use them as "new" media later on.

After disinfecting and getting rid of all bleach traces, steal some of your 55s media for his filter, set the tank back up, and start giving the guy lots of water changes, salt and prazi.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

my gosh he's gorgeous :) but as stated previously a great deal just for the tank alone ;) I'd say go for it and see if he can get better with your tlc :)

I didn't realise the tank was also included :rofl I'd definitely go for it then :)

Its got Dropies guys... look at the scales all puffed out :cry

It's scales look completely flat to me?

It's scales look completely flat to me?
I think I see what you mean, but I think it's just an illusion from the color of the scales and te lighting.

I do see the swim bladder issues that were said. If you look through the other pictures, you can see he is at the top. But like other fish, maybe he is sensitive to the nitrates? You don't know the persons water change regimen or what they feed. I think with pristine water, correct food, a proper QT with salt and Prazi and he'll be good.

See if you can get some background information on him with any illnesses he's had.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to see if I can get more info

beautiful fish! I would ask for a video maybe? and ask them to do a top view if they can to rule in/out koko's suspicions.

I have suspicion of SBD as well. Fin issues are generally an easy treat. SBD may or may not be depending on the cause and how long it's been going on. Either way, a gorgeous fish!

Look closely at the third and last photo :o

I think the shading on each gray/white scale gives it a 3D look. The white scales don't look pineconed. Either way, if OP makes a visit, then a true assessment can be made.

Go see that fish, it's beautiful!

Edited by Acro

He also seems to have a floppy dorsal, if such things matter to you.

Let us know what you decide. :)

Look closely at the third and last photo :o

I see what you see, I agree that in most pics it looks like that darned false pineconed look, but when you look on the belly in one place it could be the real deal :o

I hope you get some answers and better pics!!! :krazy:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is a floppy dorsal the sign of disease or sickness?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is a floppy dorsal the sign of disease or sickness?
impotence!!:-) lol.....sorry!!:-\

:rofl3 :rofl3 :rofl3

Neither.

Depending on what you consider important to you, it might be an unforgivable flaw.

Oh, ok. Two of mine have that issue and you scared me for a second. Of course when I picked them up at Petco I didn't expect show quality fish :rofl3 I don't know if you ever watched "Blackfish" but the whales dorsals flop in captivity whereas it is not ever seen in the wild. I just was curious if it was also a sign of malnutrition or something in goldfish.

Oh, ok. Two of mine have that issue and you scared me for a second. Of course when I picked them up at Petco I didn't expect show quality fish :rofl3 I don't know if you ever watched "Blackfish" but the whales dorsals flop in captivity whereas it is not ever seen in the wild. I just was curious if it was also a sign of malnutrition or something in goldfish.

I saw black fish.... so sad :no:

They flop in captivity due to spending more time near the surface. It's just a cosmetic thing. As it is in goldfish.

Finally got a reply, unfortunately the goldfish was sold yesterday. I really did want to see what could be done about her. Thanks everyone for the input :)

I saw that add and was going to buy him but never got a response from them.

Edited by GoldieLover