Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
choji002

Stunted goldfish

Hi guys, I have this oranda and a comet lived together in a 7 gallon container for about 9 months. I bought a 53 gallons tank 2 months ago and moved them in, is my fish stunted, I want them to grow to their full potential too.

ugate8u5.jpg

u3aseren.jpg

by3y8u3y.jpg

2 months is not nearly enough time to show if a fish has had their growth restricted, and 9 months is not enough time to restrict a fish's growth, according to the most popular article that is circulating around Koko's about it whenever the topic of 'stunting' comes up.

Feed them properly, give them clean water, and most importantly you need to give them time to grow. That is how you will tell if their growth was restricted by their prior confines.

Edited by ChelseaM

Thank you I will keep an e eye on him

2 months is not nearly enough time to show if a fish has had their growth restricted, and 9 months is not enough time to restrict a fish's growth, according to the most popular article that is circulating around Koko's about it whenever the topic of 'stunting' comes up.

Feed them properly, give them clean water, and most importantly you need to give them time to grow. That is how you will tell if their growth was restricted by their prior confines.

I don't think I know that article, do you happen to have the link to it? I'm interested in reading it.

And I agree. Stunting also has more causes than only space restriction. In fact I believe it has more to do with us tending to feed the fish less when they are small and live in a small container.

Feeding more often throughout the day, small portions, will significantly help in making your fish grow. I would recommend to have some blanched green vegetable in their tank at all times (cucumber, zucchini, spinach, kale, dark green lettuce and others), so they can feed on it 24/7. In addition feed some high quality pellets or gel food three to four times a day, and frozen foods such as blood worms etc.

Keep us updated about your progress!

Worry less about past stunting offenses, and take care of your fish in the best way you can from the present day forward.

The rest, you need not worry about. :)

Thank you guys, I really like him and feel sorry for him because he had to live in such bad condition due to my lacking of knowledge

Worry less about past stunting offenses, and take care of your fish in the best way you can from the present day forward.

The rest, you need not worry about. :)

:clapping: Well said :clapping:

Thank you guys, I really like him and feel sorry for him because he had to live in such bad condition due to my lacking of knowledge

My first GF lived in a bowl for years. :donthit: Eventually I found Koko's and made things right. Many of us have been in your situation. I completely agree with Alex's very wise words. What's done is done. You made things right and will continue to give your fish the best care. What more could they ask? :D

My first GF lived in a bowl for years. :donthit: Eventually I found Koko's and made things right. Many of us have been in your situation. I completely agree with Alex's very wise words. What's done is done. You made things right and will continue to give your fish the best care. What more could they ask? :D

A Million dollars :idont:rofl2

A Million dollars :idont:rofl2

:rofl, they can't use money. But if they could they would use it to buy all the food lol.

Whew. When I got the notification that you quoted me, I thought you were booting me from the mod team for keeping my fish in a bowl for years. :kickbutt:oops:

Thanks. BTW, do goldfish like being touched ? I want to pet my oranda's wen, he is so cute :3.

BTW, that fish lived to be over 7 years old. He was one tough cookie. :heart

I wouldn't recommend touching your fish unless needed to take pics or move them for some reason. It can mess with their slime coat. :D

BTW, that fish lived to be over 7 years old. He was one tough cookie. :heart

I wouldn't recommend touching your fish unless needed to take pics or move them for some reason. It can mess with their slime coat. :D

OK, but his face is so cute :rofl