Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Telescope developing "Bubble Eye" ?

I keep thinking I once read somewhere that it occasionally happens that telescopes develop bubble eye traits. Is that correct?

So I wonder this is true, if maybe that is what is going on with Kupo, since the fluid ring around his left eye has gotten quite big, and I don't know what else it could be :hmm

He also is starting to get a small ring around his right eye too.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

sounds interesting.. do you have pics?

Sure! I'll also link to the topic from October, for comparison.

Ok, here's the topic from eight months ago http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113874-popeye/?hl=popeye

And these pics are from today.

100_9275_zps3f6281ce.jpg

100_9276_zpse987f0f4.jpg

100_9273_zps044719c1.jpg

In the second pic, the coloring on his right eye is actually a tad of orange coloring like you can see it on his left eye in the first pic. It just looks funny at that angle. It startled me too when I opened the image in photoshop and I went back to check on him, but he's fine.

He is doing "perfectly fine" though. Look at the rows of breeding stars on his pecs :rofl He is one of my two problem fish though, and so he lives in the special needs tub with Wakka. But aside from food related floating he generally has no problems.

If needed, I can fill out a D&D form again. Just in case. I just don't think that he really is sick.

no, i don't think that he's sick.. it just looks like abnormal growth not in a bad way. that does not resemble popeye to me at all, in all honesty. you are no stranger to telescopes so you understand that they naturally do have a ring at the base of their eyes (like a rubber grommet) to enable movement. i just feel that this is what we're seeing, just a little more than the average.

is his eye where the bigger ring is, larger than the other eye? perhaps he's just had a sudden growth spurt? have you been keeping tabs on weight and size?

Wow, this is really beautiful and huge Telescope! If she transformed to bubble eye it will be very interesting type of Goldfish. She looks very healthy.

Gosh, those globular eyes are huge and pretty darn cute. He looks great... extra eye-ring-growth included :D

no, i don't think that he's sick.. it just looks like abnormal growth not in a bad way. that does not resemble popeye to me at all, in all honesty. you are no stranger to telescopes so you understand that they naturally do have a ring at the base of their eyes (like a rubber grommet) to enable movement. i just feel that this is what we're seeing, just a little more than the average.

is his eye where the bigger ring is, larger than the other eye? perhaps he's just had a sudden growth spurt? have you been keeping tabs on weight and size?

Yes the "affected" eye is a tad larger. And yes, it looks like a huge growth ring. The second picture in particular shows how the ring is not just some sort of "blister". You can see the natural lines go through it, and it looks like a big growth ring.

But as said, this is going on for almost a year now. Even a regular growth ring usually does not go on this long.

The ring is fluid filled and the eye itself "bobs" and "wobbles" more than the other. In fact, it makes me paranoid when I handle him, because I feel like the eye can be ripped off of his head so easily :krazy: I'm sure it is much tougher than it looks, but handling him really freaks me out when I think about the fact that my hand is literally HOLDING his eyes :Dont-Believe:

Wow, this is really beautiful and huge Telescope! If she transformed to bubble eye it will be very interesting type of Goldfish. She looks very healthy.

Gosh, those globular eyes are huge and pretty darn cute. He looks great... extra eye-ring-growth included :D

Thanks! Funnily enough I personally kinda DISLIKE those huge eyes :lol

They freak me out.

But all three telescopes I had from this one LFS, they all developed huge globular eyes. I personally prefer teles with smaller eyes though... lucky me, huh? :D

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE Kupo. I just dislike handling him because with those big eyes I worry that I may accidentally rip one of his eyes off of his face :help:

But anyway, to get back to the initial question:

Is it true that telescope can develop fluid rings/bubbles like bubble eyes? Because this really is what this looks like to me.

When I thought that it could be popeye I treated him with salt initially, and then even went on to a course of MMs when the "popeye" didn't go away. Still the treatments did not make the slightest difference. He even just went through a course of prazi, and that does not seem to have anything to do with the eye.

My Pippin had a ring exactly like that, got huge. So no worries. :)

Merlin has that too!

Is it true that telescope can develop fluid rings/bubbles like bubble eyes? Because this really is what this looks like to me.

with inbreeding, anything is possible :)

When I thought that it could be popeye I treated him with salt initially, and then even went on to a course of MMs when the "popeye" didn't go away. Still the treatments did not make the slightest difference. He even just went through a course of prazi, and that does not seem to have anything to do with the eye.

depends on the salt you used. for retained fluids, if you used aquarium salt, then perhaps the fluid did not resolve but the MM's treated the infection. if you used Epsom for 8 consecutive days at the recommended dose and there was no reduction, then it's just an abnormal size but healthy eye.

pork chop was attacked by a fast moving infection to the one eye as a result, her eye grew twice the size it usually was (the eye it attacked was the larger one of the two). she died within 4 days and never stood a chance. i think if infection was to be lurking, there would be other symptoms.

a friend once had a telescope fish which lived with this deformity of what your fish presents for a number of years. when i saw that the fish's eye would wobble so much with every natural movement, i recommended Epsom salt as a mild treatment. that eye became more stable on the fish as treatment continued.

it is typical of Japan to produce such large, round eyed telescopes. i had 4 of them and 2 had similar issues. Epsom helped them too. no other symptoms, just large, wobbly telescope eyes.

My Honey has quite a large ring like that around one of her eyes, I just keep an eye on it since she has had a problem with that eye before, think that is just me being paranoid though:P

with inbreeding, anything is possible :)

depends on the salt you used. for retained fluids, if you used aquarium salt, then perhaps the fluid did not resolve but the MM's treated the infection. if you used Epsom for 8 consecutive days at the recommended dose and there was no reduction, then it's just an abnormal size but healthy eye.

pork chop was attacked by a fast moving infection to the one eye as a result, her eye grew twice the size it usually was (the eye it attacked was the larger one of the two). she died within 4 days and never stood a chance. i think if infection was to be lurking, there would be other symptoms.

a friend once had a telescope fish which lived with this deformity of what your fish presents for a number of years. when i saw that the fish's eye would wobble so much with every natural movement, i recommended Epsom salt as a mild treatment. that eye became more stable on the fish as treatment continued.

it is typical of Japan to produce such large, round eyed telescopes. i had 4 of them and 2 had similar issues. Epsom helped them too. no other symptoms, just large, wobbly telescope eyes.

Thanks, sister!

I might try the Epsom just to see what happens. At what dosage?

I just hope his eye will never fall off. Whenever I have to handle him, that is one of my biggest worry. You know, I'm holding him and he struggles to get away and all of a sudden I am holding nothing but an unattached eyeball.

In that case I would likely proceed to immediately puke into his tub :lol

lol.. the relaxed epsom dose is at 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 gallons (relaxed for already ill fish).. but i think your little dude will do fine with 1/2 teaspoon of epsom for 8 consecutive days. :)

take an overhead photo in a tub that you can use again a few days later. i would like you to keep me updated of his progress with photos :)

Thanks a bunch, I'll give that a try! :heart