Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

On the use of Methelyne Blue

Is there an alternative for preventing fungal outbreaks in eggs? Maybe something a little less harsh? When my fish breed here soon I want something that is going to do the same thing but not be harmful.

Any ideas?

fungus can be minimized by treating the "nest" before eggs are deposited and by using an ultraviolet sterilizer for the first 48 hours of incubation. Normally unless the spawn is real real big , in the several thousands fungus cross over from the dead eggs to the live is not a factor. 18-20°C is an excellent temperature. that is how I do it with success.

An UV sterilizer would be a little expensive for me. So should I be very worried about small spawns?

in small spawns such as we hobby fish farmers have normally do not need to be treated. fungus is always present in aquariums and attacks dead things like a non fertile egg. if the eggs are heavy clumped then a few could be infected but with eggs scattered on the spawn mops and everywhere the good ones hatch just fine. a little salt can also help delay fungus formations if needed and is and aid when feeding live artemia . so short answer for me is not to worry about fungus. But worry about flukes and treat from day one for that.

Sounds great. Thank you very very much!

Is there an alternative for preventing fungal outbreaks in eggs? Maybe something a little less harsh? When my fish breed here soon I want something that is going to do the same thing but not be harmful.

Any ideas?

Hi Chelsea,

Methylene blue is actually not that harmful to eggs, and has been used for a couple of decades at least. It IS harmful to fry. So, one method is to do six hours treatment after the eggs have been laid, remove all the treated water, and carry on. :)

The other thing to do is to not treat at all. It is just a preventative measure after all. :)

I used a medicated WonderShell which is treated with Methylene blue. I had placed a breeding mop in the water for the pair (in anticipation) and removed it when I noticed the eggs...or rather them EATING the eggs. :doh11: Then I left the medicated shell in the container with the breeding mop for about 6 hours. After I saw a few swimming fry I removed the treated water gently. The idea is that you're getting a slow release over a few hours in a concentrated area instead of treating the entire body of water all at once. You can actually see the "blue" and can spot treat, so to speak, moving the shell to where the eggs are in the container.

I also removed as many eggs with fungus as I could find.