Need help with diagnosis and treatment

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 10-20ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - TBD
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - TBD
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 5ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - ph 7.6, KH and GH forthcoming
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - ph TBD, GH test off API chart, KH 161ppm
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 72 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 47 gallon breeder. five months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? one week, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? two goldfish, three inches long. six siamese algae eaters inch and half long or smaller.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and EI dosing fertilizers
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega One flakes, bloodworms, boiled peas, spinach, twice a day. One item per meal. Bloodworms no more than twice weekly.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Goldfish are new, three weeks approximately
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Not the main tank
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Black moor moved to hospital tank after I noticed white growth over eyes. Treated fish with API Pimafix for one week, growth diminished then returned. Started seeing white grains on body and fins. Treated with API Super Ick cure for four days, two doses. Fish cleared of any visible issues, returned to main tank. Fish started bottom sitting and was lethargic. Salt dip yesterday. Fish in hospital tank.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Initially thought growth on eyes was fungus. Grains of salt observed in hospital tank. slightly frayed fin on the tail.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting, stopped eating yesterday. Haven't seen him poop in awhile. Occasionally comes off the bottom and swims around. He can regulate his swimming depth, does not swim sideways, etc. Still bottom sitting after salt dip yesterday.

If you have anymore question please let me know and I will answer them as soon as I can. Thanks for the help. Main issue now is bottom sitting and not eating. No visible signs of fungus or parasites. Right eyes had a cloud in it. Doesn't look like a growth, looks like its in the eye.

Hi Marka, I'm sorry your fish isn't well. A video or photograph of your fish could help with the diagnosis. Many people upload the media to photo bucket and paste the link here.

I have a video on my phone. I'll have it up soon.

Hope your Goldfish feel better soon.

Checked in on him. He is in the process of passing stringy feces.

I've also observed what looks like a "coughing" fit. The fish shudders and rapidly opens and closes his mouth like he is hacking something up. Then he returns to bottom sitting.

If the grains were indeed Ick and the Moor was in the main tank, then I suspect that the other fish would also be showing signs of Ick. So, I am concerned that there is a pathogen in the main tank. Have you considered treating for Flukes with Prazi? The coughing and bottom sitting makes me think Flukes may be the culprit.

If he will eat, I would also consider a course of Metro Meds food.

Edited by jmetzger72

I have an order of prazi being shipped as we speak. I'm guessing I should treat the main tank with it? All the other fish are acting healthy. The other goldfish is eating, she is active, passing stool, digging around and getting into shenanigans. The algae eaters are active as well. The black moor might be more susceptible due to a number of factors.

Additionally. The algae eaters will be leaving the tank soon. I was warned they might suck on the goldfish and I may have witnessed a little of that earlier. Trying to see if the lfs I bought them from will take them back.

Edited by marka83

I have an order of prazi being shipped as we speak. I'm guessing I should treat the main tank with it? All the other fish are acting healthy. The other goldfish is eating, she is active, passing stool, digging around and getting into shenanigans. The algae eaters are active as well. The black moor might be more susceptible due to a number of factors.

Additionally. The algae eaters will be leaving the tank soon. I was warned they might suck on the goldfish and I may have witnessed a little of that earlier. Trying to see if the lfs I bought them from will take them back.

I would treat the main tank and the QT for Flukes. I think it would be good to remove the algae eaters for the reason you stated as well as to decrease the bioload in the 47 gallon. That's a perfect tank for 2 Goldfish :)

I would try to get the Metro Meds as well for this and future problems.

Edited by jmetzger72

See if you can find Tetra Parasite Guard. We can use that as the first treatment, to be followed by prazi when it comes in. :)

Thanks! I'm freaking out waiting for the prazi... He's becoming less active by the day.

Thanks! I'm freaking out waiting for the prazi... He's becoming less active by the day.

The Tetra Parasite Guard should do it.

Let us know when you have it, and one of us will guide you with the treatment. :)

My lfs had liquid prazi. When can i expect improvement in symptoms? Few days?

After a water change and meds, he was swimming around slowly. Then he had a shuttering attack and sank to the bottom and stayed there.

After a water change and meds, he was swimming around slowly. Then he had a shuttering attack and sank to the bottom and stayed there.

Hopefully, you can see improvements within 48 hours.

The bottom sitting after initiation of praziquantel treatment is not unusual. Please keep an eye on him. We do expect him to recover and become more active in the next two days. If he does not, then he will have acquired secondary bacterial issues, and we will need to intervene. This does not happen often, but it can. So, just be aware, and good luck! :)

Hopefully, you can see improvements within 48 hours.

The bottom sitting after initiation of praziquantel treatment is not unusual. Please keep an eye on him. We do expect him to recover and become more active in the next two days. If he does not, then he will have acquired secondary bacterial issues, and we will need to intervene. This does not happen often, but it can. So, just be aware, and good luck! :)

Thank! I'll do that. He has been passing stringy feces. Should try to treat him for constipation? Not sure what the treatment is for a constipated fish other than fasting. Maybe the stringy feces is a symptom of the parasitic infection? Thanks again.

It could be, but it could be that he's just not eating well or stressed. One thing that you could do is to feed him smashed cooked peas for a couple of days. You should see nice green poop.

I noticed last night that one of his gills isn't moving. If you look at the fish from the top, facing the same direction, his right Gill is closed and does not move while his left gill moves. I do daily water changes in the hospital tank to keep the water parameters good. Is this a symptom of flukes? Any hope for recovery?

I noticed last night that one of his gills isn't moving. If you look at the fish from the top, facing the same direction, his right Gill is closed and does not move while his left gill moves. I do daily water changes in the hospital tank to keep the water parameters good. Is this a symptom of flukes? Any hope for recovery?

Could you try to see if you could lift open the opercula and see how both gills look? Thanks

Not sure if this is considered "skinny." See the body near the tail...

20140511_201141_zps529ed4ac.jpg

Additionally. No improvement after two days of treatment.

I do think that he's on the skinny side.

Does he react when you come to the tank, or when you offer food? This will be the third day, and if he isn't more active, you will need to add a broad spectrum antibiotic (any that you find at the stores should be acceptable, except for tetracycline and minocycline).

I do think that he's on the skinny side.

Does he react when you come to the tank, or when you offer food? This will be the third day, and if he isn't more active, you will need to add a broad spectrum antibiotic (any that you find at the stores should be acceptable, except for tetracycline and minocycline).

Thanks. I will find that later today and start the treatment.

He intermittently reacts to me when I come to the tank, but its becoming more rare. He isn't interested in food whatsoever. Every now and again he will swim around the tub very slowly near the surface. He doesn't gasp for air, just swims with the top of his head and eyes bobbing out the water a little. I also see layers of slime coat hanging from him sometimes, but he still has a good slime to him when i pick him up during wc

Great news. I went to the lfs and grabbed Furan-2. I was going to get fish doxy but the store was charging over $30. I did a 100% water change and added the furan. I went to the cemetery to see my mom and when I came an hour or so later the fish has improved drastically. He is swimming, playing in the bubbler, eating, and trying to nibble my finger. He Still has shutter fits then becomes mellow then swims. Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted after he completes four treatments.

My fish also had a good quick reaction to antibiotics after days of being almost unresponsive from a secondary infection. It was unbelievable. Healing vibes to your fish!

Edited by LisaCGold

Great news. I went to the lfs and grabbed Furan-2. I was going to get fish doxy but the store was charging over $30. I did a 100% water change and added the furan. I went to the cemetery to see my mom and when I came an hour or so later the fish has improved drastically. He is swimming, playing in the bubbler, eating, and trying to nibble my finger. He Still has shutter fits then becomes mellow then swims. Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted after he completes four treatments.

Fantastic! I'm glad you went with Furan-2 and not the doxy. While doxycycline is better than tetra and minocycline, I try to avoid members of this antibiotic family as much as possible, because its metabolic breakdown products can be very toxic to the kidneys, in humans and fish alike.