Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

"Dusty" smell/taste of tap water?

Do any of you have experience with your water source suddenly having a "dusty" smell and taste to it?

For about a week now my tap water has this weird dusty smell and taste to it. I may be all off with this, but it reminds me of when I was little and there was a lot of construction work in our apartment done. The smell and taste (in the air, not water) of mortar and plaster dust, that's what our water now tastes like.

And it is not just at my house, but also at the water fountains at my job, which is about 3 miles away from where I live.

The smell/taste also seems to be getting worse. We have a fridge with a built in water filter, and even THAT smells/tastes like dust.

I just emailed my town's customer support about it, since I can not find a contact email for "water issues". I also asked them NOT to send out somebody to literally just test my home's tap water for the same stuff I do with the API freshwater kit. I already did that and according to that, the water is "fine".

Last time I emailed them about the blue hue of my tap water, they did the same thing, and tested only for stuff I already knew.... I mentioned that too in my email, and actually asked if they could give me an answer to the blue tint as well. The blue is not as strong as it was back then, but it is still noticeable when I for example fill the washing machine (white inside) or the sink all the way (white inside).

I don't know if the cause of the smell/taste actually harms the fish, but it seems like a kind funny coincidence that Wakka is slightly pineconing since two days ago. Then again he does that once or twice a year, so it might just be "that time".

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I always had this with my outdoor hose. At my boyfriend's apartment, two of his taps taste fine, while the third one tastes dusty as you say. In both cases the spigot was larger than a regular sink. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

:o no I've never experienced that, but I'd want answers too!

:goodluck

Please keep us posted :)

Alright, the reply from the city is following:

"Due to the temperature and the heat, we have had a lake turn over that has caused a stirring in the organics. The water is safe to drink. We are making adjustments at the filter plant. I have dispatched a crew to your area to flow some hydrants to help clear the issue up. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks

Scott Turner "

So I guess it's fine then. I also figured out how to describe the taste and smell even better: kind of like soaked drywall. Like a mix of wall dust and a bit of mildew.

I still don't wanna DRINK it, so I bought me a few gallons of spring water. The fishies will have to deal with it now as there is a water change coming up :lol