Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
LabRat99

Shubunkins on the way!

41 posts in this topic

I never even transferred mine for water changes, but instead siphoned the tub carefully. But you have a lot more fish, so that might not work for you.

As for the batches: hard to say. They may breed again this season, they may not. It really just depends on the fish themselves :)

Can we have pictures? :D

I was totally confused about the second part of your post but then I realized you were talking about my post above about the eggs. I think you misundersood. I was asking if I would get another breeding award as this is the second batch of fry that I've raised this season.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm just gonna move them into a 10 gallon aquarium and be done with the tubs. I've got part of this batch in a 5 gallon aquarium already and they are growing faster than the batch in the tubs.

I've been crazy busy for the last three weeks or so, but I've got a long holiday weekend so maybe I'll be able to post up a few pics soon.

Oh LOL You were talking about badges! :rofl I never even paid attention to the fact that the look of the badges changed. Before, it looked like an actual medal, now it's this weird, silly looking egg with eyes.

Best to pm Koko directly to make sure she reads your question. I do believe that it doesn't matter if it is several in one season. The last I remember was that the fry has to live for at least two weeks, but nothing was mentioned that they had to happen during different seasons of the year.

Just ask her to make sure :) I doubt that she reads all post on this forum, after all there is a buttload of posts produced every single day :rofl

These pics are probably 10 days old...I'm gonna try to shoot some new ones tonight or in the morning.

item.JPG?rot=1

Shubunkin fry in a tub.

item.JPG?rot=1

The other batch of shubunkins in a 5 gallon aquarium.

BTW, do I get another egg for this batch or is it one per breeding season?

:blink: ?

Never mind. I just read Fangs post. :rofl

That will teach me to take a SHORT Sunday afternoon nap! :rofl I am totally behind on reading the posts now. :rofl

Edited by Fluffy

Here's a video that I shot last night of the group that had been in a tub. I bought a 10 gal starter aquarium from Wal-Mart and added a couple of sponge filters that I had laying around and some water from other tanks and instant fry home. Plus it gets me out of the moving back and forth from tub to tub business. :clapping:

Oops. I just realized that was before I had moved them all over. That's just a handful that I had moved earlier to make sure the tank was ok.

I started culling the shubunkins this morning. I'm removing all the metallic ones - moving them to the 75gal where I'm also keeping all those culled from the other batch of fry. I was planning to take all the culls and releasing them at my father in law's place this weekend but everybody at my house is sick right now so that might not happen for another week or so.

You are a shubunkin farmer. It is going to be so interesting to see what colours and patterns they develop.

I'm assuming where you plan to release them is not some natural lake/pond etc, but man made, right?

We need more photos! :D

Things are going well on the shubunkin front - I've culled out all of the metallic ones except one. It's a deep blue color so I'm gonna hang onto that one for a while to see what color it turns out to be. After culling I think I've got about 150 shubunkins left to grow out.

I'm assuming where you plan to release them is not some natural lake/pond etc, but man made, right?

We need more photos! :D

It's man made. I've been sick for about a week but I'm about over it now. I should have new photos soon.

The baby shubunkins are looking good. They are about the size of large neon tetras now. I shut down the two brine shrimp hatcheries that I'd had going since early April over the weekend. From here on out until they are big enough to eat pellet food, they are going to get ground up Hikari pellets.

A couple of pics of the baby shubunkins. I'm fixing to throw all these guys out into the pool for the rest of the Summer to grow them out.

gv3q.jpg

myrp.jpg

My oh My! What a lot of great looking babies!

Wow they are getting big now! :o

Edited by goldfishfanforever

Wow, that is a nice group of fish you have.

What n amazing group of babies!