Kokos Goldfish Forum
LabRat99

Shubunkins on the way!

I noticed my male shubunkin "Chubby" chasing "Shrub" who is also a shubunkin the other day. That's not uncommon for them but this looked like spawning behavior to me. So I put a spawning mop in their tank and sure enough the next day there were fertilized eggs on the tank walls. I took the mop out and put it in a tub full of tank water and also moved the fish out of the tank they had spawned in so that the eggs on the tank glass would have a chance to hatch. Here are a few pics of the eggs that I took yesterday.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

So, it looks like I'm gonna get a chance at raising baby shubunkins. I did learn a lot of lessons from my first go-round with raising fry. I'm planning to apply them this time and maybe save myself a little work! Wish me luck. :)

Awesome woot more fish :fishtank:rofl3

Cool beans! :thumbs:

How exciting gramps :nana

Very cool, congrats! What do the parents look like?

Very exciting!

Cool! Hope it goes well :)

Congratulations!!

Congrats. Should be fun

Very cool, congrats! What do the parents look like?

Thanks. I'll try to post a pic of them later today.

They're here!!! I noticed last night that a number of the eggs on the tank glass were getting dark; I meant to try to get some close-ups of them but didn't. Anyway, this morning when I went out to feed the fish there were fry on the walls of the tank and in the tub with the spawning mop. So round two of raising babies is on!

One thing I will do different this time is to not start with so many. This time I'll wait until the fry in the tank are free swimming, net out a 150 - 200 of them and then let the big fish at the rest.

Here they are

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

Baby shubunkins! :)

I almost forgot...here are the parents:

item.JPG?rot=1

This is Shrub, she's the Mom.

item.JPG?rot=1

and this is Chub, the Dad. He's also the dad of my other batch of fry as well. Apparently, he's a smooth operator around the ladies.

When I got home from work the fry were free swimming in the tank. Not as many as last time but still probably close to a thousand. Yikes! I took some from the tub with the spawning mop in it and some from the tank and put them together in a tub with fresh water in it. I'm gonna watch them closely for a couple of days and if they are progressing alright then I'm going to put the big fish back into the tank with the fry. I'm not going to keep two separate batches this time; too much work.

If anybody reading this is near enough to me to come and get them, you are welcome to as many fry as you want. I'll even throw in a few of the ones from the first batch, too. :)

:rofl Arriving in 24 hours! :rofl

Congratulations! I can't wait to see how they come along!!

Soooo cute! And the parents are very beautiful :)

:rofl Arriving in 24 hours! :rofl

Ha Ha! Give me a call when you get close and I'll give you directions to the house! :D

I noticed something funny this morning when I went out to feed the fish. The fry that are still in the tank they were spawned in are very active, swimming constantly and acting like they are looking for food. The ones that I've moved into a tub are mainly clinging to the walls and not moving around much at all. The same thing happened the last time too. It wasn't until the fry were about a week old that the ones in the tub started to outgrow the ones in the tank that time. So, am I moving them too soon maybe? Heck, if they're still like that when I get home tonight, I might just dump them all back in the tank and wait a few more days before I set up my tubs.

Update on the shubunkin fry - all is going well. I had planned on only keeping a fraction of how many I kept out of the first batch of fry but I have willpower issues. I kept at least a three hundred. I had also planned to only keep one batch and not two so I wouldn't have as much shuffling around of tubs as the first time. I kind of stuck to that plan and kind of didn't. I've got one batch in tubs and another in a 5gal aquarium. I used the 5gal for some of the fry in my first batch and as I was moving fry from the tank they hatched in to their tub I realized I had room to move the babies from the first batch that were in the 5gal to another tank for growing out and put some shubunkin fry in their place. And that's exactly what I did.

So, I've got two batches of shubunkin fry, probably 300 total split between a tub and a 5gal aquarium. The interesting thing is that the ones in the aquarium look to me like they are growing faster that the ones in the tub that get 100% water change each day. If these continue to do better than the tub ones throughout their growing out, next year I'll just run two or three 5 or 10 gallon aquariums as fry tanks and do away with tubs all together.

BTW, do I get another egg for this batch or is it one per breeding season?

So twice this week I've nearly killed the batch of shubunkins in the tub. I move them each evening when I get in from work from the tub they're in to one that has water that's aged and dechlorinated ( I thought). One day early in the week about the time I had most of them moved I noticed that they were all gulping at the surface of the new tub. I thought that was odd but continued scooping and moving fish. After a couple of more scoops I saw some that weren't moving any more. At that point I knew I had a problem.

I quickly began moving them all back into the tub that I had been taking them from and just as quickly they began to revive and act normal again. I ended up leaving them in the original tub another day and dumping the water from the one I had been moving them into. I finally decided that I had forgotten to add dechlor to the new tub and marked it up as one of those mistakes I won't make again! Problem solved, I thought.

It happened again two days ago! And this time I know there was dechlor added to the tub. After thinking this deal over, I've decided that my water service has probably kicked up the chloramine addition either for Summer or because of maintenance. So, I'm doubling up on dechlor as well - I'm betting that will take care of the issue.

I never even transferred mine for water changes, but instead siphoned the tub carefully. But you have a lot more fish, so that might not work for you.

As for the batches: hard to say. They may breed again this season, they may not. It really just depends on the fish themselves :)

Can we have pictures? :D

I never even transferred mine for water changes, but instead siphoned the tub carefully. But you have a lot more fish, so that might not work for you.

As for the batches: hard to say. They may breed again this season, they may not. It really just depends on the fish themselves :)

Can we have pictures? :D

I was totally confused about the second part of your post but then I realized you were talking about my post above about the eggs. I think you misundersood. I was asking if I would get another breeding award as this is the second batch of fry that I've raised this season.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm just gonna move them into a 10 gallon aquarium and be done with the tubs. I've got part of this batch in a 5 gallon aquarium already and they are growing faster than the batch in the tubs.

I've been crazy busy for the last three weeks or so, but I've got a long holiday weekend so maybe I'll be able to post up a few pics soon.