Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hey everyone! I've been saying I'm going to post pond photos for a while now and I finally got some new ones today! But first a little info about the pond. It's been running since spring 2007 and has 6 adult koi in it. At 3500 gallons some say that's understocked, but I attribute my lack of problems to this. I don't have plans to add any more fish to it for now for that reason. Low-maintenance is good!

Without further ado, here it is!

This was the pond in early April.

DSCF3134_zpse6b2475b.jpg

And here it is today!

DSCF3370_zps5a1c1487.jpg

Now some adorable photos of the koi.

DSCF3174_zpsee50aaf4.jpg

DSCF2035_zps17a4be90.jpg

DSCF1867_zps563fe51e.jpg

DSCN0473_zpsd31e23dd.jpg

pond13_zps49c2bd5b.jpg

(okay I cheated those last four were from last summer but the water has been so cloudy from all the rain.)

And bonus winter snow shot! This was the massive storm that swept through the SE USA this past winter. This is the most snow I've ever seen on the pond.

DSCF3015-edit_zps129c3379.jpg

Normal snows in my hometown look more like this:

DSCF2857_zps23553c5e.jpg

Your pond and fish are absolutely beautiful! I would love to have a pond like that in my backyard some day. First I need to get a backyard though! Thank you for sharing!

That's an awesome pond and koi, Izzy. How big are they now?

Wow, they look so fabulous and so big! What is the approximate size of the biggest Koi?

That is a gorgeous pond! :D How long has it been running for?

Beautiful :)

:thumbs: absolutely stunning! :heart

This maybe a silly question, but what is the white piping contraption for :idont

Beautiful!

Your pond is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

That pond and the landscaping is amazing, I'm so jealous. Thanks for posting pics and looking forward to updates. :)

WOW I really like that pond... :heart

Looks great.

Thanks everyone! :blush: I love this pond, too. It's my own little oasis. It's loud enough to hear from the back deck, too. Believe it or not, the landscaping is just what mother nature wanted! We've only planted the iris around the pond. All the moss, ferns, and wildflowers just came up! I might be adding a bit of landscaping this year with some pitcher plants at the top of the waterfall (my other hobby is growing carnivorous plants).

Alex, I think the largest koi is around 16 inches-ish. I don't really know as I've never taken a tape measure to them! All of them are over a foot, tho. The oldest is about 8 years old. She actually came from WalMart of all places! She's been in the pond all 7 years it has been running.

Flipper, that isn't a silly question at all! That white PVC pipe is to hold up the netting. I have to put it over the pond in the winter because my pond is basically in a forest. The first few years I put the netting over the pond, the leaves were so heavy when wet that the net would sink into the pond. I built that frame to keep the leaves from getting in the pond. I just realized the mesh is a bit small to see it easily, but the net is there!

I'll try to keep this updated at least once or twice a week. When the yellow iris come in it's really pretty. The blooms are only nice for a few days tho.

It's beautiful!!!!!!

Lovely pond!

Spring has sprung!! Flowers are everywhere, and I love it! This year I planted a new plant in the pond and it's done wonderful! It's the white bog violet. I also have some with my carnivorous plants.

tumblr_n59sjrJIM31rjqlnyo1_1280.jpg

The bog violets doing well.

tumblr_n5a07caMkJ1rjqlnyo1_1280.jpg

Yellow flag iris. The first one to pop! I have others in the pond that should be blooming soon if the heat wave today doesn't kill them! >.<

tumblr_n5a07caMkJ1rjqlnyo2_1280.jpg

And the stout blue-eyed grass. It's a native wildflower that just popped up! I love it so. It's very prolific on the far side of the pond.

((pardon the tumblr url...didn't have any other edited versions))

There is still one little purple flower that shows up that I want to get photos of. I hope it hasn't already wilted in this heat!

Beautiful pics. Your pond is really beautiful.

That is just gorgeous! I love the natural look to it, and your fish look healthy and happy! Understocking is always a great idea, and clearly it has worked for you!

It also gives you the option that if someday you should come across That One Fish (goldfish or koi) that you 255% fall in love with, you won't have to worry about if there is room for him or not :)

Keep us updated, make sure to post more photos of your beautiful pond! And thanks for sharing!

Such beautiful flowers! I'm very jealous that spring is in full swing for you. :)

Gorgeous flowers!

More pics please :)

Your pond is AMAZING!!!!

No new pond photos as I have to clean out all of those little pollen strands that have gotten in it, and a few severe storms blew away all of the blooms. But before they struck I got one photo of this pretty purple flower that shows up at the pond every year. I have no clue what it is, but I love it!

tumblr_n5a07caMkJ1rjqlnyo3_r1_1280.jpg

I took this photo for another forum, but I thought you guys might enjoy it!! Me by the pond via a tripod!!

DSCN8886_zpsa40df5c4.jpg

It looks very peaceful. It looks like you have a nice vantage point from that rock.