Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shukura

Bubble eyes and plants?

Hi guys.

I've got this grand idea to start an aquascape in my 40gal for 2 bubble eyes. Somehow it's got into my head that because bubble eyes are a bit handicapped, they're not going to be as destructive as an oranda or ryu. If someone could let me know if that is the case or not, I would be most grateful.

Obviously I'm going to be limited with the hard materials I can use, but was thinking something like this where everything has plants for padding. ;Do8p9.jpg

Beautiful! I had bubble eye long ago, but I can't remember if they tore up plants or not. You could always experiment.

They didn't bother my plants much when I had them, but would go for surface plants. I kept mine pretty chubs and they weren't destructive.

That pic's off google and mine wouldn't be anything like that amazing, but still, I'd like to try.

Thanks heaps for the input and for fuelling my idea ;DD

I'd guess that any species of goldfish has the potential to destroy certain plants. But, you won't know until you try. That is a beautiful aquascape. I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

I don't think any plants could go well with goldfish, my surface plants which were destroyed completely after 1 day, they ripped the roots. But bubble eyes are weaker as compare to others especially their eyes, so I would keep some plants which don't have too sharp leaves.

That tank is MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!

I don't think any plants could go well with goldfish, my surface plants which were destroyed completely after 1 day, they ripped the roots. But bubble eyes are weaker as compare to others especially their eyes, so I would keep some plants which don't have too sharp leaves.

Anubias and Java Fern work well with Goldfish and some people have success with Swords and other plants. But, I do agree to avoid plants with hard, sharp leaves.

Edited by jmetzger72

Anubias and Java Fern work well with Goldfish and some people have success with Swords and other plants. But, I do agree to avoid plants with hard, sharp leaves.
Yah I totally forgot about them but I think my goldfish are naughty, they don't want me to have some nice plants lol. It s like they are trying to say: "only take care of us". I think I will try again with Anubias or Java Fern :P Edited by choji002

Yah I totally forgot about them but I think my goldfish are naughty, they don't want me to have some nice plants lol. It s like they are trying to say: "only take care of us". I think I will try again with Anubias or Java Fern :P

Mine are naughty, too :rofl

Of the two, the Anubias is probably the best choice. Sometimes, offering them lettuce on a clip will satisfy their need to chew plants :)

I did too, I attached the veggies to the clip and put it in the tank, but they still chose to nibble on the plants. Bad Goldfish

Beautiful tank!! My fish have never ever touched any of my plants, so I can't speak as to whether bubble eyes are less destructive to plants. However, my bubble eye was less aggressive in general, so maybe this implies that they would be? But of course you have to look at the individual fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's worth trying, Shu! :)

Hahah yup I shall certainly give it a go!! I don't expect it to go perfectly and I do expect it to get tricky when the fish are added. If all else fails I can move the fish out and get some more suitable ADA fish ;D

I have a few months to research plants and layouts while I wait for money to happen.

I think the only thing I would be careful about is making arches in your setup. If the arch winds up not being wide enough when the bubbles grow, then they could get stuck. Judging by a few recent bubble eye videos I watched on YouTube and your awesome keeping skills... you could have a fish as wide as it is long! :o

I think the only thing I would be careful about is making arches in your setup. If the arch winds up not being wide enough when the bubbles grow, then they could get stuck. Judging by a few recent bubble eye videos I watched on YouTube and your awesome keeping skills... you could have a fish as wide as it is long! :o

This is something I have indeed been keeping in mind! I'm going to be making sure everything is safe, don't you worry.