Sign in to follow this  
redfish

So many eggs

5 posts in this topic

I have had Olaf & Zelda for a month. And one week of that Zelda was sick. They have spawned 4 times now. I just let them eat the eggs and I clean up, do a water change, rinse decor etc. I have found fry in the rinsing water, rinsing silk plants and glass sculpture. Sadly, I cannot raise fry. No space and not wanting to take the time.

Are there tips to stop them spawning so often!?

If I miss eggs, or they get into filters, does this cause any issues??

Hi Lori,

Sadly, I don't think there is any reliable way to actually prevent spawning other than to make sure to keep the tank temps consistent.

I wonder if egg issues could be a part of why there were issues during Prazi treatment. My apologies if this suggestion is outlandish, because I can't remember which one is the female and which had the issue. :(

Eggs left uneaten and unremoved could contribute to waste load of the tank. The eggs themselves could become infected with mold/fungus, but other than these issues, I don't think they cause any other issues.

Hi Alex
Yes, Zelda is the female, and the one who reacted so badly to PraziPro. They spawned the second day I had her. I had put the first PraziPro dose in that day. She started reacting bad after second dose, and much worse at third dose. No spawning in this time. But I guess she could have still been carrying eggs. PraziPro has been out since April 11...and they have spawned 3 times since! Busy couple. haha

I think why they spawn so much is the heat in our apartment. Even with thermostat off now it stays near 24C-25C(74-75f approx) in here. Tank runs that temp.

Edited by Red

Hi Alex

Yes, Zelda is the female, and the one who reacted so badly to PraziPro. They spawned the second day I had her. I had put the first PraziPro dose in that day. She started reacting bad after second dose, and much worse at third dose. No spawning in this time. But I guess she could have still been carrying eggs. PraziPro has been out since April 11...and they have spawned 3 times since! Busy couple. haha

I think why they spawn so much is the heat in our apartment. Even with thermostat off now it stays near 24C-25C(74-75f approx) in here. Tank runs that temp.

Oooh...thank you for the clarification.

Again, although there is no certainty here, I would guess that all that spawning is affecting her, whether it's makes her more sensitive to prazipro, OR it's a coincidence where she was sitting because of the spawning and not so much meds. I have no idea, but thought to throw that idea out as well. :)

I hope they stop soon. Like you, I also have no room or time for fry, although I would dearly love to be able to raise some. :)