Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
BronwynH

Apple Snail Eggs!

33 posts in this topic

Last night before bed I found a belated Easter surprise from the snails - Eggs!

IMG_26901_zpsd496d94f.jpg

As per instructions I found online (http://snailhobbyist.blogspot.ca/p/part-1-a.html) I have them in a tupperware above the light fixture of my tank.

IMG_26921_zps951a9840.jpg

I'm not certain who Mom is as I did not see the egg laying. Based on who's been mating with whom Mom is either Heimdallr (oops got the gender wrong)

IMG_25681_zpsdcba1dbb.jpg

or Isis

IMG_26051_zps667e50c0.jpg

And Dad is either Percival

IMG_25671_zps313bf7db.jpg

of Tethys (wrong gender again!)

IMG_25781_zps75f5fbc0.jpg

Sorry about the poor photos of Heimdallr and Tethys. These are from a while back and I should really get some better ones.

I'll keep everyone updated on what if anything happens with the eggs.

Congratulations for new generation! Probably very soon I'll buy 4-5 apple snails, but at first of all I need to get some info, to provide good conditions for life.

Very cool, congrats! :-D

!!congratulations!!

Congratz!!!!!!

Congratulations for new generation! Probably very soon I'll buy 4-5 apple snails, but at first of all I need to get some info, to provide good conditions for life.

Thank you! I definitely recommend apple snails, as long as you don't want them to eat algae - they're not very effective at that. But they are a ton of fun to watch! If you're looking for apple snail info I recommend applesnail.net and http://snailhobbyist.blogspot.ca/ both are full of info.

Very cool, congrats! :-D

Thank you!

!!congratulations!!

Thanks!

Congratz!!!!!!

Thank you!

Thanks for the advise and the useful info BronwynH! My intention is after a while to have a small tank with betta fish and apple snails but probably that will happen after my summer holiday.

Edited by adnan

Thanks for the advise and the useful info BronwynH! My intention is after a while to have a small tank with betta fish and apple snails but probably that will happen after my summer holiday.

I would be careful combining apple snails and a betta. Bettas don't always make the best tank mates for apple snails. The bettas can be aggressive towards apple snails and have been known to kill them. That's not to say the combination is impossible (goldfish have also been known to kill apple snails, but many people here, myself included, safely keep the two together). If you want to try the combination I would look for the least aggressive betta you can find and watch them very closely when you first put them together. Be sure to have a second set up available should you need to separate them.

If you're interested in keeping a betta with tank mates some suggestions would be ghost shrimp (not the cherry ones as the colour may attract the attention of the betta) and white cloud mountain minnows. Other suggestions can be found here: http://bettacare101.com/tankmates/

Generally speaking you should avoid tank mates that tend to occupy the same space in the water column (bettas tend to stick to the top), have flowing fins (like fancy guppies) and/or have bright colours. Even with these other tank mates it is a good idea to pick a more 'mellow' betta and keep an eye on things the first few hours everyone is together (my husband once housed a particularly mellow betta with swordtail platies, which is generally considered to be a big no no). Also the more cover you can provide for everyone the more likely everyone will be to feel safe and get long. When my husband does a community tank with a betta he always uses lots of live plants.

If it's a snail tank you're interested in I personally have always put them with my goldies. My husband has had them in his tropical community tanks with mollies, platies, guppies, tetras and the like (no bettas) and I've seen others here create snail centric tanks with other apple snails, nerite snails, shrimp etc.

I have actually been wanting to create a snail centered tank for a little while now and with this recent clutch of eggs I'm going to have to even just to get them to sell-able size!

Whatever you choose to do I wish you luck and am happy to answer any questions you may have (or at least point you in the direction of an answer). :)

Thank you very much BronwynH, that was really important information for me. You spend a lot of time to write the text, really appreciate!

Thank you very much BronwynH, that was really important information for me. You spend a lot of time to write the text, really appreciate!

No problem. :)

After researching I think that the combination Apple Snails and Guppy fish is better then with Betta fish. My plan is after a while to create small beautiful aquarium for my bedroom :)

After researching I think that the combination Apple Snails and Guppy fish is better then with Betta fish. My plan is after a while to create small beautiful aquarium for my bedroom :)

That sounds lovely!

:clapping: I'm so happy for you and your snails :)

How fun :nana

:clapping: I'm so happy for you and your snails :)

How fun :nana

Thank you! I'm very excited. Even though I know absolutely nothing can be happening yet (It's still mostly pink. No where near the white stinky crusty egg sac that's ready to hatch) I keep checking the eggs several times a day. I've even caught my husband lifting up the lid a few times to get a good look! :)

:rofl Expecting parents :nana

This is so exciting, Bronwyn! :)

:rofl Expecting parents :nana

I know, eh? I can't imagine if we ever had human children, not being able to do the 'is everything ok?' check every few hours!

This is so exciting, Bronwyn! :)

Very much so. :) Thanks for joining in the fun!

Oooooh!! :nana

Oooooh!! :nana

I know!! Too exciting!

So much earlier than I expected they hatched! I had checked on the egg sac earlier today and everything seemed normal. Then this evening I was setting up to do a new measure on my goldfish and there was 'dirt' in the tupperware. Then I realized that it was not dirt but baby snails! So far I counted 96!

Here's few photos:

IMG_27181_zpsf9700192.jpg

As you can see the egg sac hadn't gone completely white yet, so I wasn't expecting a hatching any time soon.

A closeup of some of the babies:

IMG_27711_zps8493ab88.jpg

I was going to move them to a bigger, approx. 2g, tupperware before hatching. I have three or four of those and water changes would have been easy until they got a bit bigger. As it is the snails are super tiny and seem to have more than enough space. I figure if I siphon out dirty water about 30 minutes after feeding I can probably keep them in here for a while. Now to start aging replacement water!

Edited by BronwynH

How cool!

:Congrats:

Thank you! I'm quite excited, although also concerned about the wc's. I don't want to hurt anyone and they're all so small!

When I had mine in a 1.5 gal when they was that small I used airline tubing and a gallon jug to do WCs. I also had an airstone on low. I would recommend one :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

When I had mine in a 1.5 gal when they was that small I used airline tubing and a gallon jug to do WCs. I also had an airstone on low. I would recommend one :)

Airline tubing, I think I can manage that. Thanks. I also have an airstone, but the pump is battery operated (it's for transport), so I'll look into another pump.

After some thought I think I would like to move them into a different container if possible, do you have any thoughts on how to move them without damaging them, or should I just let things be until they're a little bigger??

I placed my smaller container into the larger one and let them move at their own will. I was afraid to tuch them when they where that small.