Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

Can someone tell me what this is?

I've just started doing a water change on the main tank, and saw this moving around on the glass.

It looks to be some kind of leech.

Does anyone know what it actually is?

Is it harmful to my fish?

How could it have got into my tank?

imagejpg1_zps9b7901dc.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc080339a.jpg

I've now removed it from the tank, though I'm not sure what to do with it.

:yikes it is HUGE!!!

I commend you for removing that yourself. I don't think I could have, at least not without screaming and flailing and probably stomping my feet :rofl3

Sorry but no ideas on what it is, or how it got there. :idont

I've just found a second one :yikes they're quite big, at first I thought it was an earthworm :o

EEEKKKK!

I had leeches once....when i first started with planted tanks....i knew it was a leech because it decided it wanted to taste my hand!

Try taking better pics with it out of the tank....its hard to really see it.

Edited by xjasminex

No idea what that is, but just had to say 'Ewwwwwww!'

Lis they look like leaches!! have you had new plants recently?.... if you put it on your arm and it sucks your blood then it's a leach!!!!.....joke!!!!:-\ :-)

OMG that is disgusting! Yikes!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am NOT letting them suck my blood haha. I have them in a jug, I'll try get a better picture in a minute :)

The only thing that is new in that tank is some pothos - is it possible that these guys could have come in with those? I think they've been living in the pothos roots, because when I dropped the water level, that's when they appeared on the glass, heading for the water.

They're definitely leeches

I'm guessing they'd be harmful to my fish?

Never thought I'd say this, but I kind of like them :rofl

imagejpg1_zpsa55234dd.jpg

imagejpg1_zps6e970d30.jpg

imagejpg1_zps88938fbd.jpg

That looks disturbing for me. I hope that type of worms are not harmful. Never seen before. I think the same as Fingers, probably they come in your tank with some of your plants.

Leeches are SO CREEPY.

I agree that they're kind of neat though. You should try to keep them, haha. What do they even eat? Just blood or other stuff?

:yikes: :peeka: You like them! Wowzers! You're one brave lady! :)

Leeches are SO CREEPY.

I agree that they're kind of neat though. You should try to keep them, haha. What do they even eat? Just blood or other stuff?

Haha, I'm kinda with you, very curious about these creatures but also very :scared

:yikes:scared:yikes

This is the first time I'm happy that you're on another continent. :tomuch:

Gahhhhh!

:hide:

You are a brave soul for getting those things out of your tank.

Leeches! You are brave, Lis. Could they really have come in with a terrestrial plant? It seems a little unlikely.

Haha, thanks guys, no messing from me :flex::rofl

I've just fed them some bloodworms. They literally ate them, I mean they swallowed them whole :yikes

The pothos is the only thing that is new, I got them around 2 weeks ago. Other than that and fresh water, nothing has entered the tank. I also find it difficult to believe that they came into my tank on a terrestrial plant, but I don't understand what else it could be :idont

Edited by Lis.

They do have the shape of leeches but I can not tell if they are segmented since I am on my phone. Do they have horizontal lines all across their back?

Most of the leeches you find in ponds and tanks are not the icky bloodsuckers I remember getting between my toes when wading in a creek. They are usually free-living predators that eat smaller bugs and worms and such. Yours look like the ones I sometimes find. The only fish they would damage are fry small enough to swallow like they did those bloodworms.

They do have the shape of leeches but I can not tell if they are segmented since I am on my phone. Do they have horizontal lines all across their back?

I cannot see any lines right now, I don't think they have any, though it may be better if I look in the morning. They aren't a slimy shiny colour as I'd imagine leeches to be, they're more of a matte brown colour, if that means anything to anyone.

Most of the leeches you find in ponds and tanks are not the icky bloodsuckers I remember getting between my toes when wading in a creek. They are usually free-living predators that eat smaller bugs and worms and such. Yours look like the ones I sometimes find. The only fish they would damage are fry small enough to swallow like they did those bloodworms.

I'm thinking I may go and put them in what's left of an overgrown pond in one of our fields, it has a spring running into it so I imagine there's life in there. Do you think this would be okay? I'm not willing to kill them when they are just living their life, I'd rather put them somewhere were they'll be able to take care of themselves. Edited by Lis.

That's so sweet of you, Lis!

I would have chopped them up and fed them to my minnows (minions) *muhaha*

That's really kind of interesting.

Could they have been in there before the pothos and managed to remain hidden? How ever they got there, it's clear they were thriving. They look massive! :yikes

I wonder how fast they grow and whether it's possible to crudely guess a length of time or age from their size?

Edited by dan in aus

Sweet Mother in heaven, those are horrendous. :yikes

These are the kind of things that haunt my nightmares. You are a brave girl!

Haha as a kid I used to play with leeches all the time. I loved weird bug type things..... we use them for fishing bait haha