Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Need advice on how much chasing is too much

I came home today to find Betty really exhausted. Pseudo-bottom sitting, occasionally wedging herself between plants, just kind of hovering there. Only took a second for Blimp to go after her so at least the reason for her sluggishness was found before I could panic.

I know she is tired, but what I do not know is if she is egg bound, and if Blimp's chasing is too excessive and needs separating, versus normal and helpful to Betty should she need to release eggs.

She did lay eggs twice, within two days, about a month ago when she was in QT.

Chasing

The behavior in this video is a little more extreme than what I'm usually seeing (that corner thing near the end really hurt me to watch :cry) but the chasing is pretty nonstop. Kite is not always involved. Not really sure what kinda stuff she's into. :idont

20140425_192513.jpg

You can see here, even when she can rest for a second, he is right there with her. Super weird. A little smothering.

So, I dunno. I don't want to be a baby and panic if this is your run of the mill spawning, I just have no idea how this measures up.

Hang in there! Spawning isn't very much fun.

No. :( I really am kicking myself for being so envious of all the fry people! Of course this is a part of it and I can't even handle that much :rofl

Thanks, tammy

:hmm She looks exhausted. I would float Blimp in a colander for a while or put him in a separate tank. He's not being super rough but that is how Waddles would get with Bobbie and she would be sooooooooo tired. This won't necessarily last forever but for now I'd give her a break. :hug

Now, to find a colander. :thud

I only have a metal-ish one.

Thanks lisa! It's good to know it's not super bad (although not so much that that means it can get worse!). I'll try to get her some peace.

Alrighty, neighbor saves the day!

He's put away for now. Not too happy in confinement but :idont app

Lights are off, so hopefully my chestychu can get some rest.

Should I keep him in overnight, or give them a few hours and see what happens?

Just give him a few hours, but don't turn the lights back on tonight in the room. They may be less inclined if they think it is 'bedtime'.

Just wanted to add that the females can release eggs on their own without a boy "helping" :) If she is tired certainly give her a break.

I'd go with a few hours for now. Or an hour or two. I'd like you to have some time to observe them before you go to bed cuz if he continues to chase her then you might want to put him in the colander for the night. :idont I did that with Waddles a few times. I didn't like doing it but I also didn't want Bobbie to become completely exhausted overnight. And she is significantly bigger and faster than Waddles . . .

Just give him a few hours, but don't turn the lights back on tonight in the room. They may be less inclined if they think it is 'bedtime'.

Thanks Chelsea. I think the lights are out for the night so I'll let him out soon :)

Just wanted to add that the females can release eggs on their own without a boy "helping" :) If she is tired certainly give her a break.

She did do it on her own the first time around :teehee I think maybe I was trying to ask if his presence would make her release eggs quicker? Haha I don't know what I was asking there anymore.

But thank you! I did actually want to ask you if you've ever had a female go a little lopsided when she was egg bound? Betty looks like she's leaning on one side when she rests. :idont

I'd go with a few hours for now. Or an hour or two. I'd like you to have some time to observe them before you go to bed cuz if he continues to chase her then you might want to put him in the colander for the night. :idont I did that with Waddles a few times. I didn't like doing it but I also didn't want Bobbie to become completely exhausted overnight. And she is significantly bigger and faster than Waddles . . .

Yeah I was thinking that before.. I'll be up a bit, so I'm gonna let him out now and see how things go. :idont

Just hope I don't fall asleep on the couch right away! :o

He really does not like being in there. I feel bad but would feel sooo much worse if anything happened to her.

Aaaaand she's jammed in a plant again. :idont

Blimp is not going after her, but I think because she found such a good hiding spot? :hide:

Don't know what to do. Talk to me you fish!!

I've noticed both Waddles and Saki lean. I wonder if it's a dorsal less fish thing. Kinda like a sailboat without a rudder (or whatever that thing is called that sticks waaaay down into the water to make it more stable :rofl3 )

So, let's just tape a stick to their bellies, yes?

Phew! Glad she's not the only one!

Aaaaand she's jammed in a plant again. :idont

Blimp is not going after her, but I think because she found such a good hiding spot? :hide:

Don't know what to do. Talk to me you fish!!

Sometimes you will see her headstading in a plant. Apparently, when she does that, Blimp won't notice her for a very sheksy ladyfish. :rofl

:rofl well in that case I suppose it worked!

He was being a pig again last night so he spent the rest in the colander. :idont let him out just now and fed them all. We'll see how this goes!

:rofl That's what I would do . . . take him out and feed him. It distracted him for a while. :rofl

C'mon Blimp. Give the lady a break. :teehee

Is Kite female? :idont

:rofl That's what I would do . . . take him out and feed him. It distracted him for a while. :rofl

C'mon Blimp. Give the lady a break. :teehee

Is Kite female? :idont

As of town minutes ago.... I see eeeeggggssss :krazy:

The food lasted like five minutes. Then he was at it again. :doh11: not quiiite as bad as last night, though she still got a bit wedged here and there. :idont

As for Kite, she's got quite a distinct outie. Her pecs seem a little more dainty too (Blimp is showing stars like never before!! They were always really vague but now it's more like :flex::ehh) and Blimp used to chase her a little. :idont no idea what's going on haha

Maybe he will give her a bit of a break now. :)

:wa Blimp

Do you see any of the eggs sticking?

:wa Blimp

Do you see any of the eggs sticking?

Hmm not so much. There are some on plants, but mostly just on the bottom of the tank. Sooo we'll see.

Maybe he will give her a bit of a break now. :)

He's been going at it but not as bad. So I'll leave em for now with a close eye :teehee

Cannot keep my eyes off these fish :rofl

I feel so silly. Thought I'd be all mature and let things go naturally (in other words, eaten). If I found something swimming, awesome, but we wouldn't actively try to keep anything. Well I couldn't, and had to rescue my java fern plant. That is now in the colander. :rofl

I don't expect anything to come of this, I am just so super curious!! It isn't loaded with eggs, but it probably had the most over my other plants (and is the lightest :teehee) and I just can't resist...

Now we shall see if Blimp is all chase and no *ahem* action. :ehh

:rofl3

:rofl :rofl

Well I'm glad I moved the Java fern (and huge anubias ahem :peeka) when I did because the cleanup crew is really at it! :Scoff:

I did not realized that I copied your Ahem in my post :rofl

:peeka