Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

So I've been thinking....

A solid color would be best to start with if you don't want to cull for color like some breeders do. It also gives you time to focus and learn about the body requirements and let you train your eye to it vs, being tempted to keep fish not up to standard just because of pretty or unique coloring, which is fun! But its not great if your doing a breeding program and have limited space. I also want to add that you may want to get more fish experience and reading materials before you take on this project. I have learned SOOOOOO much just over the last 2 years. I don't know your fish keeping experience, but I can say that for myself over the time I have been a member here on kokos I have really learned a lot. I felt like an expert by the time I had 500 posts and now looking back I was a novice still :rolleyes: LOL I probably will look back again someday and think wow I knew nothing at 2000 posts :teehee Just know it is an expensive learning experience but if you love it, it is rewarding and fun. Making a profit is something the experienced get to do; I'm not even there yet. Stock up on meds, tanks/stock tubs, air pumps, various foods, jugs of prime, tons of prazi, and you will most of all need some extra time and money to dedicate to the hobby.

I think we'll all feel like novices the rest of our time in the hobby. I think that when you feel like an expert, that is when you need to step back and say "What else can I do to learn?"

The only thing I have to disagree with in MK's post is that "You shouldn't just breed what you think is pretty."

I understand the desire to keep certain types of fish alive with good lines. But I also would like to point out that we have seen many new goldfish in the US like the 'Telescope Eyed Ranchu' that Ken is importing quite a few of and Steve Hopkins' 'Pua'a.' Fish like this were probably at one point considered 'deformities' in the goldfish world that could pollute the lines of fish we have, but have since turned into favored 'oddball' goldfish and could in the future be recognized as actual types of goldfish.

I think it could better be worded as "Be prepared to take into consideration what you are looking for, especially with established types." Or something similar. Just my :twocents

Things like telechu and tele pearl crosses (ho ryu) as well as other oddballs are not that uncommon in asia. The have names and are considered breeds but have not really been recognized outside of their respective countries yet. I didn't mean you shouldn't breed what you want but if you're breeding for a show quality goldfish you can't keep all the culls and expect to win. And if you're (collective you, not you personally) new to goldfish breeding and do not understand the genetics behind it it is quite hard to produce something like a telechu by chance due to the recessive nature of many unique goldfish features. You cross most goldfish breeds and you will typically yield fantails. So things like telechus would rarely come about if not being purposefully bred for over multiple generations. But having a goal in mind is very important imo. I have had countless people come to me on Instagram and ask me "why aren't my babies turning out to be a cross of the parents?" Because they don't understand the genetics and thought that mixing parents would result in fry that express the phenotype of both parents. Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Yeah I pretty much know nothing about genetics atm lol. Now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't start out with trying to breed "show quality" fishies right off the bat?

Edited by Tuba Toothpaste

A solid color would be best to start with if you don't want to cull for color like some breeders do. It also gives you time to focus and learn about the body requirements and let you train your eye to it vs, being tempted to keep fish not up to standard just because of pretty or unique coloring, which is fun! But its not great if your doing a breeding program and have limited space. I also want to add that you may want to get more fish experience and reading materials before you take on this project. I have learned SOOOOOO much just over the last 2 years. I don't know your fish keeping experience, but I can say that for myself over the time I have been a member here on kokos I have really learned a lot. I felt like an expert by the time I had 500 posts and now looking back I was a novice still :rolleyes: LOL I probably will look back again someday and think wow I knew nothing at 2000 posts :teehee Just know it is an expensive learning experience but if you love it, it is rewarding and fun. Making a profit is something the experienced get to do; I'm not even there yet. Stock up on meds, tanks/stock tubs, air pumps, various foods, jugs of prime, tons of prazi, and you will most of all need some extra time and money to dedicate to the hobby.

I think we'll all feel like novices the rest of our time in the hobby. I think that when you feel like an expert, that is when you need to step back and say "What else can I do to learn?"

The only thing I have to disagree with in MK's post is that "You shouldn't just breed what you think is pretty."

I understand the desire to keep certain types of fish alive with good lines. But I also would like to point out that we have seen many new goldfish in the US like the 'Telescope Eyed Ranchu' that Ken is importing quite a few of and Steve Hopkins' 'Pua'a.' Fish like this were probably at one point considered 'deformities' in the goldfish world that could pollute the lines of fish we have, but have since turned into favored 'oddball' goldfish and could in the future be recognized as actual types of goldfish.

I think it could better be worded as "Be prepared to take into consideration what you are looking for, especially with established types." Or something similar. Just my :twocents

Things like telechu and tele pearl crosses (ho ryu) as well as other oddballs are not that uncommon in asia. The have names and are considered breeds but have not really been recognized outside of their respective countries yet. I didn't mean you shouldn't breed what you want but if you're breeding for a show quality goldfish you can't keep all the culls and expect to win. And if you're (collective you, not you personally) new to goldfish breeding and do not understand the genetics behind it it is quite hard to produce something like a telechu by chance due to the recessive nature of many unique goldfish features. You cross most goldfish breeds and you will typically yield fantails. So things like telechus would rarely come about if not being purposefully bred for over multiple generations. But having a goal in mind is very important imo. I have had countless people come to me on Instagram and ask me "why aren't my babies turning out to be a cross of the parents?" Because they don't understand the genetics and thought that mixing parents would result in fry that express the phenotype of both parents.

I completely understand. :) I wasn't denouncing those facts, but just trying to ensure that the "I want to make my own type!" people didn't feel that that was a bad idea.

I wasn't trying to imply that at all! Just trying to clarify. Again I blame this kind of thing on typing my whole first post on mobile. I'm going to eventfully try and produce ho ryu so it will be an endeavor!