Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Looking for some advice re: Stores in Toronto

Hi Guys,

I am heading out to Toronto tomorrow evening. I have heard the stores there are waaaay better than in Ottawa, where I am. Can anyone recommend a really good aquarium store? I will only have time to stop in to one, so I want to make it count:) I'll be in Brampton, Mississauga and downtown.

Thanks!

Hello.

Menagerie pet shop on Parliment street south of Wellesley (east side of street).

I was there yesterday.

Not sure what you are looking for, but they had a few nice ranchus and a couple of jikin, along with some shubunkins(2 or 3) and ...I don't remember the rest.

I spoke to the and they said they will have a new shipment of goldfish arriving on Friday.

I don't know if you are in TO that long.

That is all I can suggest in Toronto, and I don't venture to Brampton/Miss. much to know.

I guess there are Big Al's chain shops (one at Yonge and Steeles), but look at their website and see if one will be closer to you.

Good luck.

Thanks so much! I am really excited to see what the big city has to offer:) I'll be right around the Menagerie area, so I'll definitely stop in. Thanks so much!

Just got home. I stopped in at Menagerie, very cool. I also stopped in at the Big Al's in Brampton on Kennedy. I was really surprised. Their goldfish section was great. Nice and clean. They were doing water tests when I was there and the parameters were ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0 and 20ppm nitrate. I checked out every single fish. They must have thought I was nuts standing there for 20 minutes staring. lol. Not a scratch on them. No signs of ich or parasites. No ammonia burns or clamped fins. The only thing I saw was one goldfish with some swim bladder issues...and he was in QUARANTINE! I asked about special ordering and the manager hooked me right up and will be emailing me a list of higher end fancies he can get on a weekly basis:)

The shocker was that almost every tank in the store that held large fish was sick. A LOT of fin rot and ammonia burns. One tank had 3 fish with parasites visibly moving around their eyes. The tropical/marine tanks were so overcrowded. One tank had a massive shark that couldn't even turn around.

I asked about the care provided to the goldfish because they looked so much better than the rest of the fish. They actually quarantine the goldies for a week before they even hit the floor. Very strange that the goldfish seem to be the only fish getting excellent care. For special orders, they have individual tanks in the back for holding. They keep them for a week before going home with their new owners. Very different from my Big Al's.

I thought fish shops were more interested in caring for thier tropical fish.

It's nice you had a good road trip.

That's what I thought too. I'm usually really sad for the Goldie's while only marginally sad for the tropicals. Lol

Great road trip. My son had an MRI and got a photo of his brain. He's 11, so he thinks it's the coolest thing ever (it's pretty cool). Lol. He wants to have it printed onto a toque for next winter:)