Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

I think some of the fry are dying

So yesterday I noticed that a few of my fry seemed to be having a little trouble swimming, and this morning I noticed this guy on his side:

CYXOvCll.jpg

He is having a really hard time and can't get off his side, so I have a feeling he's not gonna make it. Should I euthanize him?

Most of the other fry look healthy, just a little floatiness in a couple others. Is this normal? My fry will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

How sad, I hope you don't lose too many. :(

Aww. :( Have you started Prazi yet?

Yeah, I just finished their first round of prazi. You don't think this could be because of the prazi do you? Most of them look healthy though, so probably not....

Hope they feel better.

Yeah, I just finished their first round of prazi. You don't think this could be because of the prazi do you? Most of them look healthy though, so probably not....

I was more thinking the flukes killing them. Have any more died recently?

Do you have an airstone in the tank? :idont Have you checked your water parameters or are you doing regular large WCs?

From what I've read in other's threads, 2-4 weeks seems to be the time when many die off. :(

I was more thinking the flukes killing them. Have any more died recently?

None of them have actually died yet, but the one that's floating on it's side looks pretty close to death. There are a couple of others that look a little floaty, but the rest all look healthy to me.

Do you have an airstone in the tank? :idont Have you checked your water parameters or are you doing regular large WCs?

From what I've read in other's threads, 2-4 weeks seems to be the time when many die off. :(

I have a small one in there, yes. I've been doing 50% water changes every day. Maybe that's not enough?

Also I just checked both Walgreens and CVS, and neither of them had clove oil. I want to put the poor thing out of it's misery....I've heard of some people using vodka, would that work just as well? I have some, it's Pomegranate flavored though....

Don't use alcohol. The gills will burn and the death is much slower.

Have you tried your local big chain grocer in the 'essential oils' section of the bath products department? That is where I get mine.

Don't use alcohol. The gills will burn and the death is much slower.

Have you tried your local big chain grocer in the 'essential oils' section of the bath products department? That is where I get mine.

No I haven't tried that, I'll look there next.

Stores specializing in Asian groceries should carry it, as would any essential oil, natural healing supply.

So I decided to give that sick fry one more day before I go questing for clove oil again. I added some wisteria to the tank last night, and the little guy has kind of been resting on the leaves since I put it in. When I checked on him this morning, he actually looked a little better. Maybe the wisteria gave him something to rest on so he doesn't have to use up so much energy. When he is on too of the wisteria leaves, he can actually hold himself up a little bit.

GHEWiaol.jpg

Is it possible that he could recover? Should I give him a chance, or would it still be a better idea to euthanize? His tail does look a little bent, but just a little. o;

Edited by Tuba Toothpaste

So the fry that was on his side and couldn't swim seems to have recovered, he's swimming normally again! o:

Also all the others that were looking rather floaty are swimming normally again too. No deaths so far!